How big do braided money trees get
How to Care for and Grow Your Braided Money Tree — Plant Care Tips and More · La Résidence
Braided Money Tree
AKA pachira aquatica
A symbol of good luck and prosperity, the Braided Money Tree is a gorgeous indoor tree that can grow up to eight feet tall. Learn the basics of caring for this plant including light requirements, watering frequency, and how to troubleshoot common problems you may encounter along the way.
What kind of light does the Money Tree need?
This plant prefers bright indirect light, though they can adjust to medium levels of light. Keep them out of direct sunlight, as too much of it can scorch their leaves!
How to water your money tree
Let your plant dry out between waterings. Water thoroughly when topsoil is dry, usually once a week. Avoid overwatering, and note that your watering schedule may be less frequent during winter months.
In prime conditions, this plant is a fast grower and can reach up to eight feet tall indoors (and 60 feet tall in the wild!). Fertilize your Money Tree 1-2 times per month in the spring and summer with indoor plant food, or foliar feed year round.
Common problems with Braided Money Trees
Why Are My Braided Money Tree's Leaves Turning Yellow?
Why Are My Braided Money Tree's Leaves Wrinkling?
How to maintain a beautiful and healthy Braided Money Tree
Take care of your Money Tree and it will take care of you! Below are simple tips to continue caring for your Money Tree over time.Pruning Money Trees
Remove dry or dead leaves all year round, but save any major pruning for the spring and summer months. When pruning your plant, take a step back and look at the entire shape of the canopy, and determine which branches to remove to give it to restore an even, balanced shape. Use sharp, clean shears and cut any excessive growth at the base of the stem.Cleaning Your Plant
The leaves of this plant are delicate. Mist regularly to keep dust off the plant, but if it gets to be extra dusty, carefully clean each leaf with a damp cloth.How to Repot a money tree
Houseplants grow much slower than they would in the wild. Depending on the size of your plant and the density of the roots, this is nice to do every couple years to provide fresh nutrients and encourage new growth.
When to repot - Braided Money Trees are resilient plants that don’t need a lot of upkeep. Repot once every two to three years to provide fresh nutrients.
Pot sizing - if you want your plant to grow taller, find a nursery pot that’s 2” in diameter larger than the current pot. If you want your plant to stay the same height, you can reuse the same pot and simply change the soil.
Get your hands dirty - spread out newspaper on the floor, remove the plant from the pot and shake off as much of the old soil as possible so that you have clean roots. Place the plant in the center of the pot, add new soil and pat down firmly. Water the soil thoroughly and place the plant in an area with bright indirect light. Your plant will take 2-4 weeks to settle from the shock and adjust to its new home.
How to propagate a Braided Money Tree
There are many debates around how to successfully propagate a Money Tree. That said, it is a simple process if you take your cutting from the correct place. Follow these instructions to propagate your Money Tree:
Select a stem to propagate - Using sharp, clean scissors or shears, cut a stem with at least two nodes. The node as a joint in the plant’s stem— this is where new growth typically stems off from.
Place in potting soil - Place the cutting in fresh soil and water and drain thoroughly. Make sure the pot is an appropriate size — no more than six inches in diameter.
Keep hydrated - Place the potted cutting in a bright area and, during the first few weeks or until your plant feels firmly rooted in its soil, regularly water and drain your new Money Tree. The soil should be just barely moist to the touch at all times.
Illustrations by our talented plant stylist, Kailie Barnes
Braided Money Tree
Considered a powerful symbol of good luck and prosperity, this indoor tree has a meticulously-braided trunk under a beautiful canopy of leaves which expand with time.
Care GuideLéon & GeorgeBraided Money Tree11 Comments0 Likes
Watering, Fertilizer, Sunlight & More
How to Keep Your Money Tree Thriving Indoors
Cori Sears specializes in houseplants and houseplant care. For more than 10 years, she's been on a mission to transform her urban apartment into an indoor jungle. She's been a contributing writer for The Spruce since 2019.
Learn more about The Spruce's Editorial Process
Updated on 09/24/22
The Spruce / Kortney Gloska
In This Article
Money tree, also commonly referred to as Guiana chestnut, is a species of tree native to Central and South America that has become an attractive, easy-care houseplant thanks to its hardy nature. First popularized as a houseplant in Taiwan during the 1980s, the money tree is prominent among those who practice feng shui and is believed to create positive “chi,” or energy, in the home. This alone has made it a staple in offices, banks, and homes alike.
Money trees are most commonly sold as small plants with a braided trunk made up of three, five, or seven stems. The trees are braided by nurseries when they are young and will continue to grow this way as they mature. Rarely are they started at home from seed, but if you do plan to plant the tree outdoors, you should start it from seed in the spring. The trees will grow quickly indoors or outdoors, often adding up to 24 inches a year in height.
|Common Name||Money tree, Guiana chestnut|
|Botanical Name||Pachira aquatica|
Watch Now: How to Care for a Guiana Chestnut (Money Tree)
Can You Grow Money Tree Inside?
Although they can grow up to 60 feet in the wild, money trees kept indoors will typically only grow between 6 and 8 feet tall and can also be trained as a bonsai if you prefer to keep it small. The key to growing a money tree indoors is giving it the right amount of light and water. The good news is that it's difficult to overwater money trees, which makes them ideal for people who tend to kill their plants with too much TLC.
When grown outdoors, money trees produce stunning yellowish-white flowers, which are eventually replaced by large seed pods with peanut-like nuts inside. However, when grown indoors the plant does not flower, as it requires pollination to do so—a task that is typically carried out by bats in the wild. Despite this, when given the proper care indoors, money trees can flourish and increase the positive energy in your home at the same time.The Spruce / Kortney Gloska The Spruce / Kortney Gloska
How to Grow Money Tree Indoors
Outdoors, these plants can tolerate direct sunlight, but indoors money trees need specific light requirements. They should be placed in bright to medium indirect sunlight, for at least six hours a day.
If you don't have a sunny window that provides enough light, this plant will also do well under fluorescent light.
Temperature and Humidity
Money trees appreciate mild temperatures and high humidity. Generally, they should be kept between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and not placed near any warm or cold drafts. Since home environments are typically dry, you can increase humidity around your money tree by placing it on top of a pebble tray filled with water. You can mist the leaves of a money tree regularly or use a small space humidifier.
Money trees should be watered often and regularly, each time the top inch of soil is dry. Typically watering money trees should become more frequent in the spring and summer months and less frequent in the fall and winter. While money trees thrive with lots of water, be careful not to overwater them, as doing so can quickly kill them. The best way to avoid overwatering your plant is to ensure that the potting container and the soil have the proper drainage.
Your money tree needs fertilizer. Fertilize your plant monthly throughout the spring and summer, when the plant is actively producing new leaves, and bi-monthly throughout the fall and winter. A basic fertilizer blend that has been diluted to half-strength will work best.
Pruning and Maintenance
Pruning is an important part of caring for your money tree, especially if you wish to braid it or train the plant as a bonsai or control its size. Regular pruning of the lower leaves can also help to encourage new growth at the top of the plant.
How to Maintain Braided Money Trees
If you have three young, healthy money trees with slim and flexible trunks, you may want to braid them together and pot them as one plant. Or you can braid new and flexible stems on existing plants. Braiding is thought to trap good fortune in its folds. It's a simple process, just like braiding hair, but it also takes practice and a gentle touch to get it right. Here are the steps:
- Stems need to be well over a foot long to successfully braid. Take the plants out of their pots. Snip off excess leaves that may be in the middle of the stem that will interrupt braiding.
- You can begin at the base or the top of the plants when you braid, whichever is easiest for you. From whichever end you start, place a twist tie, ribbon, or piece of string around the ends to keep the stems together which will make the braiding process easier.
- As you braid, keep it loose; tight braiding damages the plant because as it grows, stems thicken.
- Release the braid and see if it stays, but if not, gently and loosely tie it with string, a twist tie, or place a piece of garden tape on it to secure the braid.
- Pot the plant in its new home. Stabilize the braided plants with a stake or two that is also very loosely tied to the stem with string. Do not put the stake in too deeply or it can damage the roots.
- Braiding will stress the plants so place the pot in a partially shady area for about a month to recover.
- After a few months, you can cut off the tape or string holding the braid.
Container and Size
When choosing a potting container for your tree, always ensure that it has ample drainage holes, as money trees don't like their roots to sit in water and can easily develop root rot if proper drainage is not provided. A smaller 6-inch pot is preferred for money trees.
Potting Soil and Drainage
A well-draining, nutrient-rich potting soil is best for money trees. A peat moss-based mixture would be ideal, but a standard quick-draining soil mixture such as regular cactus or flower soil will also work. If the soil requires more drainage, you can amend the mixture with sand or gravel.
Potting and Repotting Money Tree
Repotting your money tree is only necessary if you want your tree to grow larger. If you want your money tree to stay small, keeping it in a small pot is one of the best ways to do so.
Moving Money Tree Outdoors for the Summer
You can move your money tree outdoors in warmer months, but this is advisable for warmer southern regions rather than cooler midwestern, eastern, or northeastern regions.
For two weeks, gradually move your plant outdoors so you don't shock it with the temperature change. Place the plant in the shade for a few hours and bring it back indoors. During the two-week period, slowly move it to sunnier spots before bringing it indoors for the night. Don't place it in full direct sun for too long or the leaves of your money tree may burn. Also, make sure it is not in the direct line of rainfall or the plant could drown if too much water seeps into the pot. A spot with dappled light, but with more sunlight, would be ideal for a money tree.
When to Bring Money Tree Back Inside
In general, bring your tropical money tree back indoors when nighttime temperatures dip below 50 degrees Fahrenheit for a few nights in a row. If the money tree isn't taken indoors in time, the plant may go into shock and experience leaf drop.
Common Growing Problems
Money tree plants are easy enough to grow and maintain, but a couple of problems can crop up. Some simple care tips can alleviate the issues.
Yellow or Brown Leaves
Typically yellowing or browning leaves indicate overwatering or underwatering. One way to tell the difference is to see if the leaves are both discolored and curling, which indicates underwatering. It could also mean you have given the plant too much or too little sunlight so you will need to change the plant's location to see if it helps.
If the stems or trunk is becoming too soft and heading towards mushy, you are overwatering the plant.
If you notice there's no new leaf growth and the plant looks too leggy, it may mean you are not giving it enough light. A new location may help.
The Spruce uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
Yard and Garden: Control Scale and Mealybugs in Houseplants. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
Beaded money trees - Making together
join the discussion
Share with your friends
The money tree is considered a symbol of wealth and prosperity. Made with your own hands, having absorbed the energy of the creator, it becomes a real amulet. This is a wonderful talisman that you can give to your family and friends.
In accordance with the postulates of Feng Shui, a money tree placed in a strictly defined area of an apartment can really attract wealth and improve the financial situation of its owner. In such a product, 10 branches and 10 coins must certainly be present. Why is the beaded money tree so popular? Materials for its manufacture are available. Beads can be purchased at any craft store. The color scheme can be so diverse that it will turn out to create a very beautiful little thing at minimal cost. Plus, your souvenir will always be unique and exclusive.
Before starting work, you need to decide on the future type of talisman, its size, color. There are a lot of options: a large tree or a mini version, plain or using beads of several colors. Beading is no fuss. It has a calming effect on us.
By gradually creating branch after branch, you get real pleasure from the work done.
First, collect everything you need for weaving: material and inventory. You can make a list (so as not to forget anything) and go with it to a specialty store. You will need the following.
- Wire . It will be the basis of the branches and leaves. Pay attention to its quality and diameter. Too thick can be used in the manufacture of the central trunk. For twigs, you need a thin one so that you can string beads on it and give smooth bends and shapes.
- Beads . It all depends on taste and preferences: do you want the tree to be made in one color, with smooth gradient transitions or with contrasting splashes? No less interesting is the option in gold, which looks luxurious. The size of the material depends on the manufacturer: if it is China, then you need the 12th size, if the Czech Republic - the 10th. You can combine in one souvenir not only beads, but also small glass beads.
- Coins . They must have holes so that they can be fixed on the branches, so special Chinese coins that are already equipped with holes are ideal. It is not forbidden to use ordinary coins that we use in everyday life (nominal value of 10 or 50 kopecks), but drilling holes in them is quite problematic. If you decide on this option, then it will be most convenient to attach this obligatory component of the souvenir with a glue gun.
- Plaster and PVA glue. Mixed in equal proportions, they become a powerful and solid foundation for the future tree.
- Floral tape, for holding bunches of branches together. It can be replaced with a regular wide adhesive plaster.
- Bowl . Pay attention to its height. The money tree will look spectacular in containers with low edges. Deep pots are unsuitable for this.
- Brush, acrylic paint.
- Varnish to make the barrel shine. How to make a tree?
Step-by-step instructions will help you make a very beautiful decorative element with your own hands. The master class is simple, you can do the job without any problems. If this is your first time beading, try making a small tree first. So you will understand all the features and subtleties of the process.
We cut the gold-colored wire into pieces 30 cm long. You can use copper. We retreat from the edge 2-4 cm, string the beads so that it covers 2 cm of the wire. Next, twist the resulting section into a loop, turning it 3-4 turns. Stepping back 1.5 cm, we form a new loop. To weave faster, immediately collect enough beads for one branch on the wire.
After you get 5 leaves, fasten the coin. To do this, we string 7-10 beads, thread the wire into the hole of the coin and again the same number of beads so that it is in the middle. We make a loop. Now again you need to make 5 loops, as in the initial stage of work. As a result, one branch represents 11 elements, in the middle - a sheet with a coin. To get a full-fledged branch, fold the blank in half (a sheet with a coin in the middle), twist the loops together. The position of the leaves is opposite each other. The result is an element resembling figure eights located on one wire.
Following the same principle, you need to make two more blanks, but without coins, and tie them into one bundle using the floral tape of the adhesive tape. Do not try to make the surface perfectly smooth, it is better if folds form in some places. This will create an imitation of the crown of a tree, which you will then cover with brown or gold acrylic paint. If you want the base of the bundle branches to be more powerful, use an additional wire of a larger diameter, to which you attach the workpieces.
Total should be 24 branches with coins, 48 - without it. Bundles consisting of three shoots, again combine into more powerful elements to get 8 large parts. Leaves made in this way look light and airy.
If you want a denser texture, slightly change the nature of the weave.
Cast on 8 beads and make a loop, fixing it with one turn. Now we need to create the second row. The number of them depends on how dense you want the sheet to be. We perform 2 or 3 rows in this way, each of which is fastened with one turn. The last row ends with twisting the wire into a twig. Pay attention to the size of these leaves. The souvenir will look harmonious if the sizes of coins and leaves are almost the same. In this version, the coins are attached simply to the wire with a glue gun.
Do not forget about the color combination: golden beads emphasize the brilliance of yellow coins, white - silver.
Green branches will look more spectacular if you use green and yellowish beads. The more branches you make, the thicker and richer your money tree will be.
After you have made the branches, we start assembling the tree and creating the trunk. The scheme is simple. We cut off a piece of thick wire 30 cm long, fasten the finished elements to it with adhesive tape at different heights. Avoid symmetry, create folds to make the finished product look more realistic. Bend the bottom end of the wire to form a large loop.
Preparing a mixture of building gypsum and PVA glue. We take the components in equal proportions: one tablespoon each. Please note that this composition thickens very quickly, so do not dilute it immediately in large volumes. We fix the tree in a bowl, the voids can be partially filled with toilet paper. Fill with mixture. With its help, you can additionally give the crown an texture, bring out a kind of roots in the lower part. In this form, we leave our souvenir to dry.
A mixture of glue and plaster can be replaced with alabaster. After it dries, take plain gauze or a bandage, dip it in a thinner mortar solution and make a textured base. The gauze will stick easily, and the folds will look natural and textured.
We start painting when the entire workpiece is completely dry. The color of the trunk can be either brown or gold. If you opted for brown gouache, then it will need to be varnished. It will fix the paint and give the “bark” a spectacular gloss. The final stage is additional decor and design of the base. Place the coins in the roots, fixing them in a chaotic manner with a glue gun.
Tie a red ribbon around the stem or pot. She is also a symbol of wealth.
The base does not have to be a bowl. You can do without it. As an option, use a cardboard tube on which cling film or foil is wound. Cut it into rings of different diameters: from 1 to 4 cm. Make 4 such cardboard rings. From them you need to build steps. To make the joints look more aesthetically pleasing, remove part of the ring so that a little more than half is left of it. It is convenient to fasten such arcs together, forming a ladder. The largest ring is left unchanged.
We fasten the blanks at their base with adhesive tape or a hot glue gun. We form the steps so that they go under a slight bend. We take a small cardboard box, install a tree and steps into it. Gently fill with alabaster. After the mixture dries, remove the box. It turns out a kind of platform with steps, which can be decorated at your discretion: paint, scatter coins or beads, lay artificial moss, shells, beads, etc. We straighten the branches so that the coins hang slightly, and are not in a strictly vertical position.
There are no special requirements for the color scheme of the money tree - you can make it even in blue-blue or soft pink tones.
See the following video for a master class:
A beaded money tree made with your own hands, and not purchased in a souvenir shop, will surely attract prosperity and good luck to your home. The talisman of Chinese culture according to Feng Shui is just such a tree, which is a powerful means of attracting material wealth, moreover, consisting of at least one hundred coins. Since money is of no small importance in our life, people tend to believe in the legend about the tree. True or not, but if you periodically shake the product with coins, you thereby attract wealth and prosperity to yourself.
Today's article invites needlewomen to personally become the owner of a unique Feng Shui composition. Having invested your thoughts, energy, creating it, you will attract material wealth to yourself.
Your tree can be of different sizes, depending on the amount of materials at hand. If you weave a composition consisting of ten branches and place ten coins on each of them, then this tree will indeed become a powerful symbol of wealth.
To create a symbolic tree, you need to purchase the necessary material:
- beads of green shades (two, three types)
- any color wire - 0.3mm-0.4mm
- thick wire for barrel carcass;
- gold coins (you can take decorative ones with ears or real ones by drilling a hole at the edge)
- red barrel strap
- chestnut tape
- acrylic paint with brushes
Loop weaving pattern
Loop weaving technique is used to make leaves, follow this pattern. So, a piece of wire 30 cm long must be folded in half and a penny should be put on one of the ends of the twig, lowered at the fold and twisted into a loop ten turns.
Next, string 5 beads on any end of the wire (you can have more, for example, up to 9 beads - experiment), lower the coin to the base, form a loop and scroll five times. We repeat the same loop process with beads with the second end of the twig.
Then twist the wire at the base of the leaves three to five times. We continue to collect 5 beads on both ends of the wire, do not forget to twist the loop made before you need to string the beads again. We form the petals by alternating on a branch. We make such loops on a branch from five to seven pieces, and more, then the product will turn out to be branched and fluffy.
Depending on the number of coins you have purchased, adjust the number of branches. For example, weave from 50 to 100 bunches of gold coins, or 50 branches with two on one element. We continue to create bunches, but already without pennies. The work is painstaking and patient. It is necessary to weave about a hundred simple branches.
Branches of beads for a small fluffy money tree.
Branches of beads
Now it is especially important to correctly collect the finished elements into groups, then combine them into one whole tree.
We take one bunch with a penny and intertwine with two branches without a coin. Here it is permissible to fantasize, you can connect the usual four elements of branches with a branch. Get five branches in one bouquet. It is necessary to twist them together to the very bottom of the wire processes. Approximately it will be possible to form from 25 - 75 volumetric branches, depending on the number of connected clusters.
At the end of the process of assembling the branches, you will need to wrap each bunch with teip tape.
Shaping the stem
- Now we need to take a thick wire (aluminum) from 10 - 15 cm long and connect it with fluffy branches, applying two or three bunches and wrapping it with sticky material.
2. Before use, thick wire can be wrapped with adhesive tape, thereby adding volume to the crown of the tree.
3. Thus, having formed large clusters, paint with chestnut paint, then varnish.
4. It remains to connect the received branches of beads into one whole. To do this, we take a long elastic wire 30 cm long and alternately applying each bunch to the holder, carefully and tightly wrap it with tape, and at the end we cover it with paint and varnish and wait until it dries completely.
5. Pay attention to how the support for the money tree is made from the wire below. Try to bend the lower ends of the thick wire into a loop 90° with pliers to form a stand.
6. In this master class, the crown is not plastered, but only painted. I am sure that your tree turned out to be lush, branched and stable.
7. We plant a money tree in a pot.
8. In order to make the craft stable, you will need plasticine and gypsum mortar.
9. We fix the decorated creation with plasticine in a pot so that it does not stagger.
10. Then you need to prepare a solution of gypsum (mix gypsum with a small amount of water, bring to a creamy consistency) and pour it over. After six hours of gypsum hardening, you can start decorating the composition.
Beaded money tree decoration
There are different design ideas. I will offer master methods, and you yourself will choose the one that suits you.
- The stand can be decorated with coins, beads glued with a glue gun. Pre-paint the hardened gypsum mortar in a dark color. The trunk is tied with a red ribbon, symbolizing wealth and prosperity.
- You can decorate with gold by gluing a decorating element on the side of the pot or by gluing some figurine.
- Most often, coins are used, scattered around the tree, glued and varnished on top.
When the product is ready, it is better to place it on the southeast side, attracting monetary energy. In order for well-being to increase, it is advised to create conditions for growth according to Feng Shui - attach a picture with a waterfall to it or any other picture with water that carries the meaning of watering. Now it remains to wait and observe the material growth at home and see for yourself the mystery of Chinese culture.
There are many options to make a money composition from beads. We make a lot of branches in a looped way at the beginning, and then glue the coins to the petals with a glue gun. For those who want to know another wonderful structure with coins, a lesson is provided. In this master class, golden beads are used and a lush tree is created. The decor consists of steps on a stand (with a detailed description), as well as strewn with coins. The composition captivates with its appearance. Success in creative work!
Video master class of a golden beaded tree
“Our answer to crises” is a money tree made of beads, which is not so difficult to make with your own hands. Many people seriously believe that if you weave such a cute little thing with your own hands - in accordance with all the recommendations that the master class gives (and not buy it in some souvenir shop), the house will surely become a full bowl very soon, and luck will never turn away from it hosts.
Feng Shui experts also advise gently shaking the tree from time to time so that real money - in the form of real coins and denominations of higher denominations - does not forget to pour on the owner of the "magic" crafts.
How many coins are on the money tree?
Master class, during which you will have to make a money tree from beads and coins with your own hands, will take several hours - the work is quite painstaking, because the craft consists of many small details. For work you will need:
- some 0.44 mm copper wire (can be used to make crown branches),
- aluminum wire 3 mm diameter (suitable for weaving a trunk),
- one and a half dozen coins (it can be both Russian money of the same denomination, and assorted "trophies" brought from foreign tourist trips).
In addition, you will need about 80 grams of green (but certainly different shades) beads, colored floral ribbons and finishing plaster.
To conduct a master class, which will result in a homemade tree made of beads, you will also need a couple of brushes - smaller and larger, double-sided tape, and a set of acrylic paints for painting the trunk of a tree. To make or not to make a sketch of how the future money tree made of beads and coins will look like - everyone chooses for himself, but having a project, of course, simplifies the process.
Master class begins: stir the beads
Before you start weaving, pour the beads into a large plate and mix well. The first thing to do is to form the branches of the tree. The technology is simple: twelve beads are strung on the wire, after which they are folded into a circle and fixed. To fix, just a couple of turns around its axis are enough.
When one loop is ready, you can make a new one, which is performed according to the already described scheme. In total, there should be eight loops on one branch of the future tree, which are closely adjacent to each other. The resulting loops subsequently need to be fixed together - for reliability, it is necessary to twist the wire no less than fifteen turns.
How to make a crown with your own hands…
One branch is ready. But you should not relax, because the master class suggests that such branches will have to be weaved a lot and for a long time - as many as sixty pieces.
Next, you have to make a frame for branches with coins with your own hands. The sequence is as follows: weave the wire, ending it with a loop at the end. And then use glue to fix the coins on this loop. There will be fifteen such branches.
When the process of gluing coins is completed, it will be possible to form the crown of the future tree - weave it, folding and fixing five pieces together - one branch with a coin plus four from beads. As a result, fifteen peculiar “money” bouquets should be obtained, from which then the main branches for the crown will have to be made.
Tree Bark Secrets
Now for the master class you will need a thick copper wire, to which three branches are attached with insulating tape. After that, the floral tape is covered with paint. The tree of beads and coins is almost ready - it remains to connect all the resulting plexus of branches into one. Re-fix them with tape, which will then be covered with paint.
The finished tree can be placed in a pot and securely fixed there. The base is glued to plasticine, and then again filled with finishing plaster with your own hands. From it, it is best to make the textured bark of the money tree, cutting strips on the dried material.
After that, the master class will have to be interrupted for a while: before further operations, the home magic tree must dry.
Only then can it be painted over. As final touches, all that remains is to straighten the branches and align the position of the coins so that everything is even and tidy.
And the leaves can be not only green...
The process of creating a tree with your own hands, of course, can be changed and improved by adding some of your own ideas, including revolutionary ones. For example…
- It is possible to make a money tree from beads with national colors. To do this, it is enough to paint the trunk with white paint in a black stripe - under the most famous Russian birch tree.
- A money tree can easily become rowan if you add some red beads to the green beads from which the branches are made up.
- You shouldn't get hung up on green beads at all. As an option, you can make a money tree in orange and yellow, which represents wealth in the countries of Southeast Asia. Where did the tradition of making money trees with your own hands come from?
- A master class on creating a tree can also be done like this: use pistachio shells instead of coins. Using a drill, make a small hole in each shell, Fasten the nut to the wire, and then cover it with gilded paint. Coins with this option can be used in small quantities, beautifully spreading out a few pieces at the base of the roots.
home care, transplanting and propagation
Crassula, a perennial succulent plant, also called the money tree, is part of the Crassula family. This plant got its name due to the external features of its leaf plates, which are relatively thick and fleshy. As a rule, they are painted in a dark green shade, however, there are varieties with pale green foliage.
Crassula has a hard trunk that looks like a tree. During flowering, the plant is decorated with flowers of a pale pink or white color, which can be single or part of the inflorescences. Flowers may be star-shaped or tubular.
People also call such a plant zhiryanka, tree of happiness, money tree, crassula and coin tree. Most of the species are similar in structure to a shrub or tree. This plant is native to South Africa. However, today it is found in the wild in almost every southern region.
The money tree can have a variety of sizes. Under natural conditions, the size of the varieties can vary from 6 to 200 centimeters. It doesn't grow too fast. During the season, the height of the plant can increase to several centimeters: an average of 10 to 15 centimeters in 12 months.
The plant is a perennial, but it needs regular anti-aging treatments. Flowering is observed from late August to mid-January.
- 1 Brief description of growing
- 2 Condition for a cash tree at home
- 2.1 Temperature
- 2.2 Air Humidity
- 2.3 Lighting
- 2.4 How to water
- 2.5 Hygiene
- 2.9 Transplanting a money tree
- 2.10 Pruning
- 2.11 Flowering
- 2.12 Dormant period
- 2.13 Is it possible to leave a money tree without going on vacation?
- 3 Methods of reproduction
- 3.1 Growing from seeds
- 3.2 Cherishing
- 4 Possible problems
- 5 Types of fat and names 900 oval (Ovata), or COLOTA), or Tolstyanka 900. purslane (Crassula portulacea), or silver crassula
- 5.3 Hobbit crassula (Crassula Hobbit)
- 5.4 sunset crassula (Crassula sunset)
- 5.5 tree crassula (Crassula arborescens)
- Humidity . Reduced. The culture is highly drought tolerant. Not every type of fat woman tolerates spraying well in the summer. If the surface of the foliage is velvety, then it is highly undesirable to moisten such a bush from a spray bottle.
- Illumination . Needs plenty of bright sunlight. Species with green foliage grow best in shade. At the same time, a fat woman with silvery foliage in shading may die.
- Watering . In the summer, the substrate in the pot should be moistened abundantly once every 7 days. During the winter months, the bush does not need watering. In autumn and spring, watering is carried out rarely (1 time in 2 weeks).
- Substrate . If you are using ready-made purchased soil mixture, then it is recommended to mix it with a small amount of sand.
- Fertilizer . During the growing season, the bush needs systematic top dressing. To do this, use a special fertilizer for cacti. Top dressing is carried out 1 time in 15–20 days, while using ½ of the recommended dosage.
- Transfer . Does not need systematic transplants. It is recommended to carry out it only when the root system becomes too crowded in a pot. The root system of this plant is not too large, so it is not necessary to use too large a container for planting.
- Reproduction . This plant has the ability to self-reproduce. Fallen leaf plates grow roots fairly quickly. Another such culture is grown from seeds or propagated by cuttings.
- Care instructions for . Be careful while working with the money tree, as its leaf plates break off easily. In order to give the culture the shape of a bush, it is necessary to pinch the upper shoots. Experienced flower growers recommend, if there are several small bushes, to plant them in one container.
Crassula Ovata - classic money tree | Fat woman
Watch this video on YouTube
Care of the money tree at home
A suitable temperature for a fatty is 10-25 degrees. At this temperature, it grows well and develops correctly. In addition, the flower is drought resistant.
Money tree is one of those crops that react negatively to humidification from a spray bottle. However, it will not cause tremendous harm to the plant if the bush is sprayed infrequently. If the specimen has foliage with a velvety surface, then it is impossible to spray it from a spray bottle. Otherwise, rot may appear on the foliage.
The plant needs a lot of bright light. He is not harmed by prolonged exposure to the scorching rays of the sun. That is why experts advise choosing a south-facing window sill for the money tree. But it is quite possible to grow it on windows of any other orientation.
How to water
Such a plant does not need frequent watering, but they must be systematic. In the summer, the substrate is moistened immediately after the top layer dries well. As a rule, at this time, the fat woman is watered approximately 1 time in seven days.
If the bush is moved to a cool place during the winter months, it may not be watered at all. If the room is very hot, then watering is carried out approximately 1 time in 4 weeks (not more often). The money tree reacts extremely negatively to an excessively large amount of moisture in the substrate. If you water the plant too often, it can kill it.
Despite the fact that the plant reacts negatively to moisture from a spray bottle, regular dusting of the leaf blades has a positive effect on the condition of the plant.
The root system of the Crassula is well branched and close to the surface of the substrate. Its growth usually occurs in breadth. When choosing a container for planting, it is necessary to take into account the fact that an excessively thick layer of soil mixture should not be located below the root system. A wide and low capacity is best suited for a money tree.
Soil mix available from specialist shops if desired. However, you can do it yourself. To do this, combine perlite (or coarse sand), peat, leafy and soddy soil (3:2:2:2). Do not forget to pre-calcine each component in the oven for several minutes.
The crop needs regular feeding, but too much nutrients in the soil can harm it. In the spring-summer period, top dressing is carried out approximately 1 time in 30 days. To do this, take fertilizer for cacti, and use ½ of the dosage recommended by the manufacturer. In autumn and winter, feeding is not carried out.
Money tree transplant
Crassula does not need frequent transplants. This procedure is carried out only after the roots no longer fit into the pot.
Transplanting the money tree (Crassula ovata)
Watch this video on YouTube
In the last days of February or in the first days of March, the main pruning of the money tree is carried out. At the same time, it is worth remembering that the beginning of intensive growth occurs in the spring, and pruning must be done before that. If extra branches appeared on the bush during the summer months, then they can be cut off.
How to grow a money tree. Trimming fat girl
Watch this video on YouTube
Crassula is grown indoors as an ornamental foliage crop. Its flowering is observed in the winter months. All species, with the exception of a small part, have five-petal flowers of pinkish-white or white color. With proper care, by the onset of the winter period, the bush will form many buds, from which cute flowers will soon appear.
From the first autumn days to the last days of winter, the plant has a dormant period, which is quite pronounced.
Is it possible to leave the money tree without going on vacation?
Indoor money tree can be left unattended for a long time, while you can not worry about it at all. However, before you leave, carry out abundant watering and rearrange the bush in a shady place. Another surface of the substrate can be covered with a layer of expanded clay.
Growing from seeds
Fill the container with a substrate consisting of sand and leafy soil. Sow money tree seeds in it. From above, crops are covered with glass or film. Provide them with daily airing and moisturizing from a spray bottle. The first shoots should appear after about 15 days. Picked seedlings are rearranged in a well-lit place.
Crassula cuttings are harvested in spring. Cut cuttings are left for a while in the open air to dry. For rooting, they are planted in a substrate of sand and peat. Do not forget to periodically moisten the substrate with a spray bottle. After the segments take root, they are planted in individual small containers. For young bushes choose a place with intense lighting.
REPRODUCTION OF A BEAUTIFUL PLANT-MONEY TREE FROM A TO Z! HOW TO PRODUCE THE MONEY TREE.
Watch this video on YouTube
When growing a home money tree, the grower may encounter the following problems:
- Leaf fall in winter . The room is excessively hot. But if the foliage is flying around at other times of the year, then this may be due to stagnation of moisture in the substrate, which leads to the development of root rot. Foliage can also fly around due to the fact that there are a lot of nutrients in the soil mixture.
- Shoots and leaves thinned . The bush is watered excessively.
- Rot has appeared on the root system . During the dormant period, the substrate was moistened too often and abundantly.
- Foliage yellowing . Too poor lighting.
- Leaf wilting . Very intense lighting.
- Spots of light color appeared on the foliage . These are sunburns. As a rule, they appear if the bush is exposed to direct sunlight for an excessively long time.
- There are black spots on the leaves . It can also be sunburn, but not in all cases. It can also be a sign of a fungal disease, which often begins to develop due to excessively abundant watering or due to rare airing of the room. If the spots are dry brown in color, then this is due to a lack of moisture.
- A pale red dry crust appears on the surface of the leaf blades . This may be due to the fact that the direct rays of the sun fall on the bush, or with a lack of fresh air, or with a deficiency of nutrients in the substrate.
- Drying of leaf blades . This may be due to root rot.
- Pests . Most often, pests such as spider mites, scale insects, aphids or mealybugs settle on the plant.
Pests settle on the money tree very rarely. If this happens, then it is weakened by poor care or unsuitable conditions for growth.
🌳Answer. The fat woman or money tree dies.🌳
Watch this video on YouTube
Types of Crassula with photos and names
Crassula oval (Crassula ovata), or egg-shaped Crassula
This species got its name due to the fact that its leaf blades have an oval shape, while they are rounded towards the end. In length, they can reach 30-90 mm. Often on the edge of the sheet plates there is a strip of red color.
Crassula portulacea or Silver Crassula
This species is outwardly similar to the oval fat woman. Its shiny leaf plates have a teardrop shape. After some time, the growth of branches in different directions is observed. There are a lot of leaf plates on the branches, while they form a lush crown.
This species stands out from the rest by the shape of the leaf blades. The shape can be very different, but often it is pointed.
Also, this plant has other differences from other types of Crassula, for example: the bush blooms extremely rarely in room conditions, it is characterized by slow growth (annual growth is only a few centimeters).
Sunset crassula (Crassula sunset)
This species is distinguished by the color of the leaf plates. Along the edge of the foliage are clearly visible stripes of red. Compared to the egg-shaped fat woman, they are much larger. When creating special lighting, it may seem that the bush is on fire.
This species, unlike the others, can turn into a real large tree over the years. However, for this he needs to provide proper care and the most favorable conditions for growing.
Tetrahedral Crassula (Crassula tetragona)
This species also has a non-standard form of leaf blades - subulate. In length, they reach approximately 40 mm. Woody shoots.
The foliage has an unusual color. Along the edge are rich pink stripes.
Crassula lycopodioides (Crassula lycopodioides)
This species is similar in appearance to tetrahedral crassula and hobbit. In addition to the unusual shape of the leaf plates, this species lacks a pronounced tree-like trunk.
Common types and varieties of fat women! Varieties of the Money Tree!
Watch this video on YouTube
The money tree has medicinal properties. It is widely used in folk medicine for the treatment of various diseases.
What is the use of this plant:
- Used to treat both minor and serious skin lesions, such as abrasions, burns, frostbite, wounds, scratches, boils and purulent wounds.
- Used to treat certain vascular diseases. This plant has anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties, they are treated with hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
- Used in the treatment of joint diseases, for example: rheumatism, arthrosis and osteochondrosis.
- In some diseases it helps to restore mucous membranes, for example: herpes, periodontal disease, tonsillitis, fungus and stomatitis.
As a rule, juice is used for medicinal purposes, which is squeezed from freshly harvested leaf blades. You can also use the foliage itself for this. When using the leaves of the fat woman inside, there is a beneficial effect on the state of the digestive system, as well as on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract with ulcers and gastritis.
This plant is also used in cosmetology. After dilution, the juice can be used to wipe the skin of the face or rinse the hair. This will help cleanse the skin of the face from acne, and the skin of the head - from dandruff, soothes itching.