How big do money tree plants get
Watering, Fertilizer, Sunlight & More
Money tree, also commonly referred to as Guiana chestnut, is a species of tree native to Central and South America that has become an attractive, easy-care houseplant thanks to its hardy nature. First popularized as a houseplant in Taiwan during the 1980s, the money tree is prominent among those who practice feng shui and is believed to create positive “chi,” or energy, in the home. This alone has made it a staple in offices, banks, and homes alike.
Money trees are most commonly sold as small plants with a braided trunk made up of three, five, or seven stems. The trees are braided by nurseries when they are young and will continue to grow this way as they mature. Rarely are they started at home from seed, but if you do plan to plant the tree outdoors, you should start it from seed in the spring. The trees will grow quickly indoors or outdoors, often adding up to 24 inches a year in height.
|Common Name||Money tree, Guiana chestnut|
|Botanical Name||Pachira aquatica|
Watch Now: How to Care for a Guiana Chestnut (Money Tree)
Can You Grow Money Tree Inside?
Although they can grow up to 60 feet in the wild, money trees kept indoors will typically only grow between 6 and 8 feet tall and can also be trained as a bonsai if you prefer to keep it small. The key to growing a money tree indoors is giving it the right amount of light and water. The good news is that it's difficult to overwater money trees, which makes them ideal for people who tend to kill their plants with too much TLC.
When grown outdoors, money trees produce stunning yellowish-white flowers, which are eventually replaced by large seed pods with peanut-like nuts inside. However, when grown indoors the plant does not flower, as it requires pollination to do so—a task that is typically carried out by bats in the wild. Despite this, when given the proper care indoors, money trees can flourish and increase the positive energy in your home at the same time.The Spruce / Kortney Gloska The Spruce / Kortney Gloska
How to Grow Money Tree Indoors
Outdoors, these plants can tolerate direct sunlight, but indoors money trees need specific light requirements. They should be placed in bright to medium indirect sunlight, for at least six hours a day.
If you don't have a sunny window that provides enough light, this plant will also do well under fluorescent light.
Temperature and Humidity
Money trees appreciate mild temperatures and high humidity. Generally, they should be kept between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, and not placed near any warm or cold drafts. Since home environments are typically dry, you can increase humidity around your money tree by placing it on top of a pebble tray filled with water. You can mist the leaves of a money tree regularly or use a small space humidifier.
Money trees should be watered often and regularly, each time the top inch of soil is dry. Typically watering money trees should become more frequent in the spring and summer months and less frequent in the fall and winter. While money trees thrive with lots of water, be careful not to overwater them, as doing so can quickly kill them. The best way to avoid overwatering your plant is to ensure that the potting container and the soil have the proper drainage.
Your money tree needs fertilizer. Fertilize your plant monthly throughout the spring and summer, when the plant is actively producing new leaves, and bi-monthly throughout the fall and winter. A basic fertilizer blend that has been diluted to half-strength will work best.
Pruning and Maintenance
Pruning is an important part of caring for your money tree, especially if you wish to braid it or train the plant as a bonsai or control its size. Regular pruning of the lower leaves can also help to encourage new growth at the top of the plant.
How to Maintain Braided Money Trees
If you have three young, healthy money trees with slim and flexible trunks, you may want to braid them together and pot them as one plant. Or you can braid new and flexible stems on existing plants. Braiding is thought to trap good fortune in its folds. It's a simple process, just like braiding hair, but it also takes practice and a gentle touch to get it right. Here are the steps:
- Stems need to be well over a foot long to successfully braid. Take the plants out of their pots. Snip off excess leaves that may be in the middle of the stem that will interrupt braiding.
- You can begin at the base or the top of the plants when you braid, whichever is easiest for you. From whichever end you start, place a twist tie, ribbon, or piece of string around the ends to keep the stems together which will make the braiding process easier.
- As you braid, keep it loose; tight braiding damages the plant because as it grows, stems thicken.
- Release the braid and see if it stays, but if not, gently and loosely tie it with string, a twist tie, or place a piece of garden tape on it to secure the braid.
- Pot the plant in its new home. Stabilize the braided plants with a stake or two that is also very loosely tied to the stem with string. Do not put the stake in too deeply or it can damage the roots.
- Braiding will stress the plants so place the pot in a partially shady area for about a month to recover.
- After a few months, you can cut off the tape or string holding the braid.
Container and Size
When choosing a potting container for your tree, always ensure that it has ample drainage holes, as money trees don't like their roots to sit in water and can easily develop root rot if proper drainage is not provided. A smaller 6-inch pot is preferred for money trees.
Potting Soil and Drainage
A well-draining, nutrient-rich potting soil is best for money trees. A peat moss-based mixture would be ideal, but a standard quick-draining soil mixture such as regular cactus or flower soil will also work. If the soil requires more drainage, you can amend the mixture with sand or gravel.
Potting and Repotting Money Tree
Repotting your money tree is only necessary if you want your tree to grow larger. If you want your money tree to stay small, keeping it in a small pot is one of the best ways to do so.
Moving Money Tree Outdoors for the Summer
You can move your money tree outdoors in warmer months, but this is advisable for warmer southern regions rather than cooler midwestern, eastern, or northeastern regions.
For two weeks, gradually move your plant outdoors so you don't shock it with the temperature change. Place the plant in the shade for a few hours and bring it back indoors. During the two-week period, slowly move it to sunnier spots before bringing it indoors for the night. Don't place it in full direct sun for too long or the leaves of your money tree may burn. Also, make sure it is not in the direct line of rainfall or the plant could drown if too much water seeps into the pot. A spot with dappled light, but with more sunlight, would be ideal for a money tree.
When to Bring Money Tree Back Inside
In general, bring your tropical money tree back indoors when nighttime temperatures dip below 50 degrees Fahrenheit for a few nights in a row. If the money tree isn't taken indoors in time, the plant may go into shock and experience leaf drop.
Common Growing Problems
Money tree plants are easy enough to grow and maintain, but a couple of problems can crop up. Some simple care tips can alleviate the issues.
Yellow or Brown Leaves
Typically yellowing or browning leaves indicate overwatering or underwatering. One way to tell the difference is to see if the leaves are both discolored and curling, which indicates underwatering. It could also mean you have given the plant too much or too little sunlight so you will need to change the plant's location to see if it helps.
If the stems or trunk is becoming too soft and heading towards mushy, you are overwatering the plant.
If you notice there's no new leaf growth and the plant looks too leggy, it may mean you are not giving it enough light. A new location may help.
The Spruce uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
Yard and Garden: Control Scale and Mealybugs in Houseplants. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
How Big Does a Money Tree Get? How Fast Will It Grow?
Money Trees are an attractive household plant, but how big do they get? Will they outgrow your space before you’ve had time to enjoy them? Since these trees are touted as one of the easiest houseplants, you must be wondering why a quick google search gives you a height that is better suited for a jungle.
Money Trees grow up to 60 ft tall in their natural habitat. In your home, they will grow to about 6-8 ft. How fast will it grow? If you keep Money Trees in smaller pots and prune them, you can slow their growth. When they are potted in larger pots, they will grow quickly.
Money Trees are beloved even by houseplant novices because they are so easy to care for. If your green thumb is more of a crunchy brown, this tree is for you. By simply changing your care routine, you can train your Money Tree to be the shape and size you desire.
How Big Will a Money Tree Grow?
Money Trees, also known as Good Luck Trees and Guiana Chestnut, are native to Central and Northern South America. In this tropical climate with generous rain, they grow to 60 ft tall. Money Trees produce edible fruits in the wild. The bases of their trunks look a bit swollen because they store their water there. These trees are usually found in swamps and along river banks.
If you’re worried that you will soon have a Money Tree with rainforest sized proportions, don’t worry, the little Money Tree you purchased won’t get that tall. The tree achieves this height through the right environment and soil type. In the wild, Money Trees don’t have much restricting their root growth. They can grow and spread their roots amongst the rainforest floor. The extensive root system helps these trees achieve their massive height.
In your home, your pet tree’s root system is constrained by the size of the pot you put it in. Since the roots can’t spread unhindered, they will not grow large enough to support a large tree. Your Money Tree will only grow to a maximum height of 6-8 feet. You can further control this by choosing the size of your pot.
Are Money Trees Fast Growing?
Yes! In fact, Money Trees can grow 24 inches from seedlings in only 2 months. In their natural habitat, these trees are fast growers. This rate of growth is in optimal conditions. However, even in your home, they regrow quickly from pruning. They won’t grow at their natural rapid pace, but still expect a tree that can achieve some height if not maintained.
If you brought home a small Money Tree or even decided to purchase one for your office desk, you might be wondering how long until you have to find it a home in your backyard. While they can spring up in their native habitat, these trees will not grow at the same rate under indoor conditions.
Pruning your tree can also drastically slow its rate of growth. If you are interested in one of these Pachira Aquaticas but want it to remain gift-sized, you will need to understand how to prune it correctly. For information on pruning Money Trees to keep them small, read this article.
If a little height is just what you need to fill the corner next to the window, use a medium-size pot to hold your Money Tree. If your plant has more room to spread out its roots, it will grow to be larger.
How to Make Your Money Tree Grow Bigger, Faster
If the corner in your living room seems like it would be the perfect spot for a taller Money Tree, but you can barely see your little tree over your couch, there are some easy ways to increase its growth and height.
- Transplant your tree into a larger pot. Larger pots allow roots systems to spread out and will encourage your Money Tree to grow taller.
- Ensure the soil is the right mix to support optimal plant growth. Money Trees need soil with good drainage. You can pick a peat-moss based soil. Flower and cactus soils work great, or you can add sand and gravel to a regular potting soil for better drainage.
- Fertilize your tree every 2 weeks in the spring and summer. Use a balanced liquid fertilizer diluted to half strength. For small-sized Money Trees, only fertilize every few months during the growing season.
- Remember, your Money Tree is a tropical plant, it needs a sufficient amount of water. Water your tree until water comes out through the holes of your pot. Then only water it again when the first 2-3 inches are dry. Make sure to drain the water from the saucer, so your tree isn’t sitting in water.
By giving your Money Tree ample space, nutrition, and water, you can increase its growth and height. Also, make sure that you don’t move your tree around too much. It doesn’t deal very well with being moved. You may notice that it drops its leaves for a bit. It will recover and grow back, but if you are aiming for quick growth, disturb your tree as little as possible.
Can I Keep My Money Tree Small?
Absolutely! Indoors, your Money Tree will top out at 6-8 ft. If this is too large for your space (or your desk), some simple care routines can keep your beloved plant mini-sized.
- Keep your tree in a smaller pot. This will stop it from producing a large root network. A smaller root network will keep your Money Tree small. When you need to repot your tree, choose a similar sized pot and trim no more than one-fourth of its roots back.
- Pruning your tree will help to keep it small too. You can do this by trimming back new growth, but leaving a small amount behind for the health of the tree.
- Read this article for more information about keeping Money Trees small.
With just a few things in mind, you can maintain a small Money Tree that does not take over your space.
How to Prune a Money Tree
To keep your Money Tree at a desired size and shape, you can prune it. This can be done once a year in the spring. For this, use gardening shears or any pair of sharp scissors. Make sure these shears or scissors are clean from any other plant residues. Diseases and pests are easily spread this way.
- Inspect the trunk and find any offshoots that create a V.
- Trim the trunk offshoot ½ inch above the V.
- Inspect the branches on the top of your tree. Find any that you would like to trim.
- Look for branches that form a V and trim ½ an inch above.
- Don’t trim the tree more than half its height.
By pruning your Money Tree each spring, you can ensure that your tree stays a manageable size for your space. For more information on why, when, and how to prune a Money Tree, click here.
How Long Do Money Trees Live?
This tree will be with you for the long haul. Since it is a tree, if cared for correctly, you can expect to be with this tree for decades. It doesn’t even reach maturity until 4 or 5 years of age. If you are concerned about your money tree not living long, then be sure to follow the care guidelines for this tree.
Ensure you are providing it with the appropriate amount of water, fertilizer during the warmer months, and repotting it every 2 years. Repotting your Money Tree will give it fresh soil with nutrients to thrive on. Even if your tree stays small, it is essential you change the soil every couple of years to mimic the natural rich tropical soil that these plants are used to.
Another last thing to remember if you are in a drier climate is that these plants need humidity. This can be added through a pebble tray, a humidifier, or misting. As long as you try to replicate their native environment, these trees will grow with you. For more information on my favorite humidifiers for tropical houseplants, click here.
Money Trees make for very flexible hardy houseplants that are easy to care for. As a plant owner, you can easily control their growth and speed of growth through choosing the appropriate container and pruning them. They can grow large enough in your house to anchor a room or be cultivated into a small tabletop plant.
home care, transplanting and propagation
Crassula, a perennial succulent plant, also called the money tree, is part of the Crassula family. This plant got its name due to the external features of its leaf plates, which are relatively thick and fleshy. As a rule, they are painted in a dark green shade, however, there are varieties with pale green foliage.
Crassula has a hard trunk, which looks like a tree. During flowering, the plant is decorated with flowers of a pale pink or white color, which can be single or part of the inflorescences. Flowers may be star-shaped or tubular.
Popularly, such a plant is also called zhiryanka, tree of happiness, money tree, crassula and coin tree. Most of the species are similar in structure to a shrub or tree. This plant is native to South Africa. However, today it is found in the wild in almost every southern region.
The money tree can have a variety of sizes. Under natural conditions, the size of the varieties can vary from 6 to 200 centimeters. It doesn't grow too fast. During the season, the height of the plant can increase to several centimeters: an average of 10 to 15 centimeters in 12 months.
The plant is a perennial, but it needs regular anti-aging treatments. Flowering is observed from late August to mid-January.
- 1 Brief description of growing
- 2 Care for a cash tree at home
- 2.1 Temperature
- 2.2 Humidity
- 2.3 Lighting
- 2.4 How to Water
- 25 Substrate
- 2.8 Fertilizer
- 2.9 Transplanting a money tree
- 2.10 Pruning
- 2.11 Flowering
- 2.12 Dormant period
- 2.13 Can a money tree be left unleashed?
- 3 Methods of reproduction
- 3.1 Growing from seeds
- 3.2 Cherishing
- 4 Possible problems
- 5 Types of fat and names
- 5.1 Ovalnoye fat (Ovata), or Clustye
Brief description of cultivation
- Temperature regime . In summer, it grows well at room temperature (not hotter than 27 degrees). In the winter months, the bush is recommended to be kept cool (maximum 10-14 degrees). However, make sure that the room is not colder than 7 degrees.
- Humidity . Reduced. The culture is highly drought tolerant. Not every type of fat woman tolerates spraying well in the summer. If the surface of the foliage is velvety, then it is highly undesirable to moisten such a bush from a spray gun.
- Illumination . Needs plenty of bright sunlight. Species with green foliage grow best in shade. At the same time, a fat woman with silvery foliage in shading may die.
- Watering . In the summer, the substrate in the pot should be moistened abundantly once every 7 days. During the winter months, the bush does not need watering. In autumn and spring, watering is carried out rarely (1 time in 2 weeks).
- Substrate . If you are using ready-made purchased soil mixture, then it is recommended to mix it with a small amount of sand.
- Fertilizer . During the growing season, the bush needs systematic top dressing. To do this, use a special fertilizer for cacti. Top dressing is carried out 1 time in 15–20 days, while using ½ of the recommended dosage.
- Transplant . Does not need systematic transplants. It is recommended to carry out it only when the root system becomes too crowded in a pot. The root system of this plant is not too large, so it is not necessary to use too large a container for planting.
- Reproduction . This plant has the ability to self-reproduce. Fallen leaf plates grow roots fairly quickly. Another such culture is grown from seeds or propagated by cuttings.
- Care instructions for . Be careful while working with the money tree, as its leaf plates break off easily. In order to give the culture the shape of a bush, it is necessary to pinch the upper shoots. Experienced flower growers recommend, if there are several small bushes, to plant them in one container.
Crassula Ovata - classic money tree | Crassula
Watch this video on YouTube
Caring for a money tree at home
A suitable temperature for a fat woman is 10-25 degrees. At this temperature, it grows well and develops correctly. In addition, the flower is drought resistant.
Money tree is one of those crops that react negatively to humidification from a spray bottle. However, it will not cause tremendous harm to the plant if the bush is sprayed infrequently. If the specimen has foliage with a velvety surface, then it is impossible to spray it from a spray bottle. Otherwise, rot may appear on the foliage.
The plant needs a lot of bright light. He is not harmed by prolonged exposure to the scorching rays of the sun. That is why experts advise choosing a south-facing window sill for the money tree. But it is quite possible to grow it on windows of any other orientation.
How to water
Such a plant does not need frequent watering, but they must be systematic. In the summer, the substrate is moistened immediately after the top layer dries well. As a rule, at this time, the fat woman is watered approximately 1 time in seven days.
If the bush is moved to a cool place during the winter months, it may not be watered at all. If the room is very hot, then watering is carried out approximately 1 time in 4 weeks (not more often). The money tree reacts extremely negatively to an excessively large amount of moisture in the substrate. If you water the plant too often, it can kill it.
Despite the fact that the plant reacts negatively to moisturizing from a spray bottle, regular dusting of the leaf blades has a positive effect on the condition of the plant.
Crassula's root system is well branched and close to the surface of the substrate. Its growth usually occurs in breadth. When choosing a container for planting, it is necessary to take into account the fact that an excessively thick layer of soil mixture should not be located below the root system. A wide and low capacity is best suited for a money tree.
Soil mix available from specialist shops if desired. However, you can do it yourself. To do this, combine perlite (or coarse sand), peat, leafy and soddy soil (3:2:2:2). Do not forget to pre-calcine each component in the oven for several minutes.
The crop needs regular feeding, but too much nutrients in the soil can harm it. In the spring-summer period, top dressing is carried out approximately 1 time in 30 days. To do this, take fertilizer for cacti, and use ½ of the dosage recommended by the manufacturer. In autumn and winter, feeding is not carried out.
Money tree transplant
Crassula does not need frequent transplants. This procedure is carried out only after the roots no longer fit into the pot.
Transplanting the money tree (Crassula ovata)
Watch this video on YouTube
In the last days of February or in the first days of March, the main pruning of the money tree is carried out. At the same time, it is worth remembering that the beginning of intensive growth occurs in the spring, and pruning must be done before that. If extra branches appeared on the bush during the summer months, then they can be cut off.
How to grow a money tree. Trimming fat girl
Watch this video on YouTube
Crassula is grown indoors as an ornamental foliage crop. Its flowering is observed in the winter months. All species, with the exception of a small part, have five-petal flowers of pinkish-white or white color. With proper care, by the onset of the winter period, the bush will form many buds, from which cute flowers will soon appear.
From the first autumn days to the last days of winter, the plant has a dormant period, which is quite pronounced.
Is it possible to leave the money tree without going on vacation?
Indoor money tree can be left unattended for a long time, while you don't have to worry about it at all. However, before you leave, carry out abundant watering and rearrange the bush in a shady place. Another surface of the substrate can be covered with a layer of expanded clay.
Growing from seeds
Fill the container with a substrate consisting of sand and leafy soil. Sow money tree seeds in it. From above, crops are covered with glass or film. Provide them with daily airing and moisturizing from a spray bottle. The first shoots should appear after about 15 days. Picked seedlings are rearranged in a well-lit place.
Crassula cuttings are harvested in spring. Cut cuttings are left for a while in the open air to dry. For rooting, they are planted in a substrate of sand and peat. Do not forget to periodically moisten the substrate with a spray bottle. After the segments take root, they are planted in individual small containers. For young bushes choose a place with intense lighting.
REPRODUCTION OF A BEAUTIFUL PLANT-MONEY TREE FROM A TO Z! HOW TO PRODUCE THE MONEY TREE.
Watch this video on YouTube
When growing a homemade money tree, the grower may encounter the following problems:
- Leaf fall in winter . The room is excessively hot. But if the foliage is flying around at other times of the year, then this may be due to stagnation of moisture in the substrate, which leads to the development of root rot. Foliage can also fly around due to the fact that there are a lot of nutrients in the soil mixture.
- Shoots and leaves thinned . The bush is watered excessively.
- Rot has appeared on the root system . During the dormant period, the substrate was moistened too often and abundantly.
- Leaf yellowing . Too poor lighting.
- Leaf wilting . Very intense lighting.
- Spots of light color appeared on the foliage . These are sunburns. As a rule, they appear if the bush is exposed to direct sunlight for an excessively long time.
- There are black spots on the leaves . It can also be sunburn, but not in all cases. It can also be a sign of a fungal disease, which often begins to develop due to excessively abundant watering or due to rare airing of the room. If the spots are dry brown in color, then this is due to a lack of moisture.
- A pale red dry crust appears on the surface of the leaf blades . This may be due to the fact that the direct rays of the sun fall on the bush, or with a lack of fresh air, or with a deficiency of nutrients in the substrate.
- Drying of leaf blades . This may be due to root rot.
- Pests . Most often, pests such as spider mites, scale insects, aphids or mealybugs settle on the plant.
Pests settle on the money tree very rarely. If this happens, then it is weakened by poor care or unsuitable conditions for growth.
🌳Answer. The fat woman or money tree dies.🌳
Watch this video on YouTube
Types of Crassula with photos and names
Crassula oval (Crassula ovata), or egg-shaped Crassula
This species got its name due to the fact that its leaf blades have an oval shape, while they are rounded towards the end. In length, they can reach 30-90 mm. Often on the edge of the sheet plates there is a strip of red color.
This species is outwardly similar to the oval fat woman. Its shiny leaf plates have a teardrop shape. After some time, the growth of branches in different directions is observed. There are a lot of leaf plates on the branches, while they form a lush crown.
This species stands out from the rest by the shape of the leaf blades. The shape can be very different, but often it is pointed.
Also, this plant has other differences from other types of Crassula, for example: the bush blooms extremely rarely in room conditions, it is characterized by slow growth (annual growth is only a few centimeters).
Sunset crassula (Crassula sunset)
This species is distinguished by the color of the leaf plates. Along the edge of the foliage are clearly visible stripes of red. Compared to the egg-shaped fat woman, they are much larger. When creating special lighting, it may seem that the bush is on fire.
This species, unlike the others, can turn into a real large tree over the years. However, for this he needs to provide proper care and the most favorable conditions for growing.
Crassula tetragona (Crassula tetragona)
This species also has a non-standard form of leaf blades - subulate. In length, they reach approximately 40 mm. Woody shoots.
The foliage has an unusual color. Along the edge are rich pink stripes.
This species is similar in appearance to tetrahedral crassula and hobbit. In addition to the unusual shape of the leaf plates, this species lacks a pronounced tree-like trunk.
Common types and varieties of fat women! Varieties of the Money Tree!
Watch this video on YouTube
The money tree has medicinal properties. It is widely used in folk medicine for the treatment of various diseases.
What is the use of this plant:
- Used to treat both minor and serious skin lesions, such as: abrasions, burns, frostbite, wounds, scratches, boils and purulent wounds.
- Used to treat certain vascular diseases. This plant has anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties, they are treated with hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
- Used in the treatment of joint diseases, for example: rheumatism, arthrosis and osteochondrosis.
- In some diseases it helps to restore mucous membranes, for example: herpes, periodontal disease, tonsillitis, fungus and stomatitis.
As a rule, juice is used for medicinal purposes, which is squeezed from freshly harvested leaf blades. You can also use the foliage itself for this. When using the leaves of the fat woman inside, there is a beneficial effect on the state of the digestive system, as well as on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract with ulcers and gastritis.
This plant is also used in cosmetology. After dilution, the juice can be used to wipe the skin of the face or rinse the hair. This will help cleanse the skin of the face from acne, and the skin of the head - from dandruff, soothes itching.
Do you know what is USEFUL for fat woman?
Watch this video on YouTube
Superstitions and omens
People call the fat woman the money tree for a reason. There are a large number of beliefs that relate to this culture. For example:
- Is leaf shedding observed? Count how many leaves have fallen off, your profit will fall exactly by that many percent.
- If you received a large fat woman as a gift, then you will soon make a big profit. If the bush is small, then expect a gradual profit.
- If the flower fell, and the container broke, and the soil mixture spilled out, financial difficulties should be expected soon.
- If the plant begins to dry and wilt, then efforts should be made to correct this. If all else fails, then get rid of the bush.
- To increase the money circulation in your house, you should hang a few banknotes on a bush. It is recommended to regularly remove old banknotes and hang new ones.
Everyone has the right to trust these beliefs or not. However, most flower growers admit that they got a fat woman solely because of her spectacular appearance.
Money Tree - Signs, Superstitions and Magical properties of the plant.
Watch this YouTube video
Money tree - Crassula plant care at home / Geo Glass
All about plants
- Message from GeoGlass
All about the plant Crassula or Crassula
If you mention the word "crassula" in a conversation with a person who is far from floriculture, he will shrug his shoulders. If you say "fat woman", then, perhaps, he will remember that he heard such a name. And if you say “money tree”, he will say for sure that he knows him and saw him. And we are talking about one plant.
Crassula's homeland is hot Africa, but it has long inhabited home and office interiors all over the world.
Home care for the money tree
Place and lighting: The money tree loves light. The amount of sunlight directly affects the color of the foliage. For example, if you have flowering varieties, or varieties with variegated leaves, then with a lack of light, the former will not bloom, and the latter will lose their color. Therefore, the best places for her are windows facing south, southeast and southwest. Direct sunlight for Crassula is practically not dangerous. The exception is varieties with a pure green leaf color. From the scorching sun, a reddish edging may appear along the edges of the foliage, or the entire surface may turn red-brown. Therefore, shade such a plant with a curtain during the day.
On the northern windows, the fat woman will need artificial illumination of a phytolamp or an ordinary fluorescent lamp. From a lack of light, the shoots can become thinner, and the leaves of the money tree fall off. In order for the crown to form beautifully and not warp, regularly turn the plant towards the light with its different sides.
Therefore, if the question arises, the money tree prefers light or shadow, then definitely light.
Air : In summer, fat women will be happy if you take them out into the open air - to the balcony, veranda, to the garden. If all this is not there, you can simply lower the money tree to the floor, where it is always a little cooler. Ventilate the room frequently. Just choose a place where drafts do not fall.
Temperature: Comfortable temperature for Crassula is +22 - +28℃. However, from the end of November to the beginning of February, the plant has a dormant period, and at this time it needs a temperature of about +14 - +16℃. Just put it away from the heating, perhaps near the door to the balcony. And if you have an insulated loggia, then the plant will be able to winter there even at a temperature of +8 - +10℃. The money tree cannot be kept warm in winter. Try to provide her with a three-month winter rest in a cool place, otherwise the plant may fall leaves. Unlike many other plants, daily temperature fluctuations benefit the plant.
Watering : Even in summer, Crassula does not require much water - it is enough to water it once every 2-3 weeks. If the plant is young - in the heat, water it once a week. The exact signal for watering is if the soil has dried out a couple of centimeters deep. In autumn, water every 3 to 4 weeks, during this period, by the time of watering, the soil should dry 4 cm deep. The money tree is watered minimally in winter.
Moisture: Crassula not only does not need spraying, they are contraindicated for her, as this can worsen the appearance of the leaves and lead to their decay. Such unpretentiousness is convenient for those who, due to circumstances, often leave home for a long time, the plant can calmly wait for you.
Hygiene: despite the fact that it is not worth spraying, the plant needs to be wiped periodically to keep its leaves clean and free to breathe. A small crassula can even be washed under a warm shower in the bathroom.
Soil and pot: Crassula is a succulent whose roots cannot stand constant moisture in the soil. Therefore, pots without a drainage hole are contraindicated for her. It is tedious to choose the right soil. For a fat woman, you can purchase soil for succulents, or you can make the following mixture yourself: 3 parts of sod land and 1 part of leaf, humus, river sand and fine gravel.
Money tree leaves fall off causes:
If the branches of the money tree begin to go bald, the reason, of course, lies in improper care. Even for such an unpretentious plant, you need to create comfortable conditions so that it will please you for a long time. After reviewing these reasons, you will understand what is unacceptable for a money tree.
- Crassula foliage may fall if you water the plant too infrequently. The roots of the flower become thinner, the branches lose their elasticity and the foliage falls off. Therefore, do not allow the earth in the pot to dry out completely, but also do not pour the plant too abundantly so that the roots do not begin to rot. Watering the fat woman should be moderate.
- At too high a temperature in the summer heat, an excess of ultraviolet radiation and direct sunlight can leave burns on the leaves, which is why the money tree can also throw off the foliage. Therefore, shade the flower in the summer, or move it from the south window to another place.
- The foliage of a money tree can fall off strongly if you “overfed” the plant with fertilizers. An excess of microelements and minerals can be more dangerous than a deficiency. Fertilize the plant only from March to September, in the rest of the year, bait is stopped for the dormant period of the plant.
- Too low or, conversely, too high a temperature can cause the money tree to shed its foliage. The plant is comfortable at normal room temperature, extreme drops and cold drafts for it are fraught with baldness.
- Do not water the flower with ice water, as this stresses the root system. Water for irrigation should be at normal room temperature, slightly warm.
Money tree pests:
Sometimes a plant can be attacked by a mealybug, which also leads to leaf fall and death of the plant. In order to prevent diseases, keep the plant indoors with a humidity level of no higher than 60% and a temperature no higher than 30 degrees.
Periodic inspection of the plant can help to notice the appearance of parasites in time - a white coating appears on the leaves and branches. If it is, it is necessary to remove the affected foliage from the crassula, wipe the flower with a wet soapy cloth, and then treat it with a special agent. For disinfection, you can use the drug "Aktellik".
Money tree and its beneficial properties:
The healing properties of the money tree, first of all, consist in the fact that they release phytoncides, which have a detrimental effect on viruses, fungi and bacteria, disinfecting indoor air .
Crassula juice is used to treat diseases. It is added to rinses for tonsillitis and periodontitis, lotions are made for insect bites, cuts, abscesses and herpes, lubricate corns, rub sore spots with arthritis and arthrosis. But we must remember that all manipulations should be only external. Leaves or juice should not be consumed internally, as they contain arsenic.
- Based on the name, it is widely believed that the money tree attracts financial well-being to the house where it grows. It is because of this belief that many grow their home money tree. To enhance the effect of attracting money, especially impressionable owners of fat women bury 2-3 coins in a pot.
- It is believed that the fat woman cleanses the room of negative energy. Of course, all this is provided that she herself is well-groomed and healthy, because an unhealthy plant can have the opposite effect - to attract failure, lack of money into the house.
- The fat woman is unpretentious in care, but she is sensitive to the atmosphere of scandals at home, the negative energy of stress or illness of the owners, therefore, under such conditions, she herself can wither.