How much does it cost to remove tree branches
How Much Does Tree Removal Cost? – Tree Removal
Related Guides: Stump Removal, Stump Removal Cost Guide, Stump Grinding
Tree Removal Cost Summary
Price range = $150 to $1,500+
Average cost = $500-$1000
Best/cheapest price = $150
Get FREE quotes from tree removal experts
In this guide, we will show you how much it costs to have a variety of tree types removed from your property. There’s no cut-and-dry way to determine the exact cost to remove a tree, so these are meant to serve as guidelines. For example, the complexity of the job and the height of the tree are just two pricing factors. Costs may also vary a lot depending on the condition and location of the tree.
The average cost to remove a tree ranges from $150 to $1,500. But other tree services may cost extra. For example, the average stump removal cost ranges from $60 to $350 and the average stump grinding costs $75-$1,000 depending on numerous factors.
What is Typically Included with Basic Tree Removal Services?
There are many different levels of service available when removing a tree, but a few basic pieces are usually included. Obviously, the tree will be need to be chopped down. Typically, the contractor will also have to rope down pieces of the tree by climbing the tree and cutting it into more manageable sizes. In many cases, it may also be hauled away at no extra charge (or this is included in the estimate). For other considerations, see our complete guide on what to ask when hiring a tree removal service.
Services that May Cost Additional Money
Some people want more than a basic tree removal service. For example, if the price doesn’t include hauling away tree limbs, you may have to pay extra for limb removal. Tree limb removal costs vary, but it is usually between $50 and $75.
Additional services that may be added on for an extra fee include:
- Stump Removal – Stump removal is almost never included in the price of removing a tree. Unless you pay extra for this service, you will be typically be left with a stump. Sometimes, you can get a special price to have the stump removed as well. However, different equipment is required and is sometimes done by a sub-contractor which is why this extra service can be a significant add-on. The diameter of the stump helps determine the cost of removing it. You can expect to pay between $60 and $350 per stump. A rotting stump should be cheaper to remove than a healthy, solid stump. Learn more with our Tree Stump Removal Cost Guide.
- Limb Chipping – Instead of paying more to have the limbs hauled away, you may choose to have them chipped. If the tree service has a chipper readily available, this shouldn’t cost much more. If it’s not included, you may have to pay around $75 more to have it done.
- Tree Trunk Removal – At the very least, the tree removal company should cut the tree trunk into smaller sections, which will make it easier for you to move them elsewhere. If you’d like the company to haul them away for you, you will probably have to pay more. The amount you’ll pay will vary, but you’ll probably pay between $50 and $100 more for this service.
- Travel Expenses – If you live in a remote area and the tree removal company has to travel a fairly long distance, you will probably have to pay travel costs as well. This may or may not include drive time.
- Log Splitting – For people who have fireplaces, this is a nice extra service. If the tree removal service offers it, they will bring along a log splitting machine. There is no fixed price for this service, but it usually adds an extra $75 or so to the total price.
Average Cost of Removing a Tree
Now that you have a feel for what the little extras are going to cost, you are probably wondering how much you’ll actually have to pay to have the tree removed. This will largely depend on the size of the tree:
Large Tree Removal: ~$1500
There is no realistic way for an average homeowner to safely remove a large tree from his or her property. You definitely don’t want to attempt this type of job yourself. One thing to be aware of right away is that it’s going to be expensive. The total cost of the job is calculated based on a number of different factors. If the workers have to climb really high and rope down many pieces before actually felling the tree, which is usually the case with extremely tall trees, the total bill is going to be quite high. As noted above, you could pay $1,500 or more for that level of service. It may be worth it to try to have a few small extras thrown in for free, but not all companies are willing to do so.
Fallen Tree Removal: ~$75-$150
If a tree falls on your property, you will probably want to clear it away as quickly as possible. Although this job isn’t nearly as risky or complicated as removing a healthy, living tree, it still requires a lot of equipment and can lead to injuries if you’re not careful. The good news is that the cost to remove a fallen tree is typically a lot lower than removing a standing tree. All told, you will probably pay between $75 and $150 for the work. As with removing a standing tree though, the total price will depend on whether you have it hauled completely away, cut up or just chipped up into tiny pieces.
Oak Tree Removal: ~$200-$1000
Oak is one of the strongest, toughest woods out there. For that reason, tree removal services often charge a premium to tackle them. Oak trees are also very tall. The average height of a healthy oak tree is 60 feet. You can refer to the price guide above to see that you will pay between $200 and $1,000 to have an oak tree removed. Due to the fact that oak is such a solid, thick wood, your total price will probably fall on the higher end of the scale. Make sure you have a really good reason to have it removed before spending that kind of money!
Pine Tree Removal: ~$200-$1500
There are many species of pine tree out there, but generally, the average height of a pine tree is between 40 and 60 feet. Some varieties soar up to 80 feet though. As you already know, the total amount that you’ll pay to have a tree removed depends on how large it is. If you have a smaller pine tree, you might pay as little as $200 or so. If your pine tree is extremely tall though, you could pay $1,500 or more. This is another example of why it pays to collect quite a few tree removal quotes before hiring a contractor.
Tree Branch Removal: ~$200-$300
What if you just need to have a few branches removed from a tree? If they are interfering with power lines, just pick up the phone and call your local utility company. They should come out and handle it at no cost. If you need a branch or branches to be removed for other reasons, you will have to hire a tree removal and cutting company. Obviously, if the branches are really small, you can probably do it yourself. In the event that you need to hire a professional, you can expect to be charged an hourly rate. Most companies charge between $200 and $300 per hour. If you have a lot of branches that need to be removed, it could end up being pretty expensive.
Stump removal prices vary depending on many different things. The cost to remove a stump will vary depending on whether you do it yourself or hire a professional, but other factors come into play as well. By learning about the costs that are associated with removing a tree stump, you will be able to avoid unpleasant surprises. Learn more with our Tree Stump Removal Cost Guide.
Factors that Affect Tree Removal Prices
As noted several times throughout this article, the total cost of having a tree removed will depend on many different factors. Here’s a recap of the main factors:
- Size – The total height of the tree is one of the most critical cost factors.
- Condition – If the tree is healthy and strong, you may have to pay more. If it is dead, dying or rotting, the work will be easier and should result in a lower price. If you’re not offered a reasonable price, make sure to point out that the tree is relatively weak.
- Diameter – The diameter of the tree’s trunk plays a role in how much you’ll pay. This also comes into play when grinding a stump. Theoretically, you could pay more for a shorter, thicker tree than you would for a taller, slimmer one.
- Location – It’s cheaper to have a tree removed if it is safely away from houses and other obstacles. If there are many risks for damages to occur, the tree removal company is sure to charge more for the work. After all, their liability goes up and they will have to be a lot more careful, potentially utilizing more complicated techniques or more complex equipment.
A Special Note about Damaged Trees
After a major storm or high winds, a tree may crash and cause damage to a house or other object. Tree removal services usually charge a lot more to remove these types of trees. The main reason for the higher price is because they have to be careful to not cause additional damage. Also, damaged trees pose more risks in general as workers are more likely to be injured.
Although it may seem like a major expense to have a tree safely removed by the experts, it’s well worth it. By letting the professionals handle it for you, you will be able to avoid serious injuries and other problems. Besides, removing a tree isn’t easy. Why not let the pros handle it for you?
To keep your yard looking as attractive as possible, you periodically need to have its trees trimmed into shape. In addition to making a tree look more aesthetically pleasing, trimming or pruning can be used to remove dead or broken limbs that can pose serious hazards. The cost of tree trimming varies depending on a number of factors including whether you do it yourself or hire a professional contractor. Learn more with our Tree Trimming Cost Guide.
Get FREE quotes from local tree services
Cost of Tree Branch Removal
Home › Remodeling Costs › Cost of Tree Branch Removal
Don’t let your remodeling budget go over-board by hidden surprises – understand what the average installed costs for Tree Branch Removal is in your zip code by using our handy calculator. If you’re looking for the Cost of Tree Removal materials and what Tree Branch Removal cost might be, you’ve come to the right place.
As an experienced licensed home improvement contractor, I know first hand what it should cost for various levels — from Basic, Better, and of course the best. The Tree Branch Removal estimator will provide you with up to date pricing for your area. Simply enter your zip code and the number of feet the tree is, next click update and you will see a breakdown on what it should cost to have Tree Branch Removal done at your home
Understanding how this Tree Branch Removal calculator works:
- Basic tree Branch Removal – This usually includes trimming less complex branches – low hanging tree branches.
- Better tree Branch Removal – This usually includes removal of moderate tree branches that are hanging over property lines, roofs and are more difficult to remove.
- Best tree Branch Removal – This normally includes removing branches that require heavy machinery, bucket-truck, or crane services to reach higher limbs — FYI, if you have a tree limb or branch hanging over a power-line, call your utility company and they should remove the branch at no cost to you.
|Tree Branch Removal Costs||Zip Code||Per Hour|
|Tree Branch Removal – Material Prices||$30.00 – $35.00||$42.50 – $43.75||$45.00 – $48.75|
|Tree Branch Removal – Installation Cost||$256.25 – $258.75||$262.50 – $268.75||$275.00 – $281.25|
|Tree Branch Removal – Total||$286. 25 – $293.75||$305.00 – $312.50||$320.00 – $330.00|
|Tree Branch Removal – Total Average Cost per hour||$11.60||$12.35||$13.00|
- Cost can add up quickly, especially if you’re a novice and have never attempted a Tree Branch Removal before. I would strongly recommend you hire a licensed and Insured Tree Branch Removal Arborist contractor to perform the Tree Branch Removal for you.
- Be sure to have a Tree Removal service contract in writing before starting, to make sure your project doesn’t end up costing you more money in the long-run.
- Get at least 3-5 estimates before hiring a Tree Branch Removal Arborist contractor — estimates are typically free, unless it’s a service call for a repair.
- Expect the Tree Branch Removal prices to fluctuate between various companies – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
- Try to get prices in late Fall, early winter – you should expect aggressive pricing discounts by waiting for a Tree Branch Removal contractor’s down season.
- Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out for Tree Branch Removal costs.
- Remember, there are multiple styled homes in the U.S – from: Contemporary, colonial, cape-cod style, ranch, bungalow, victorian, etc. So keep that in mind before you remove too many tree, you still might want to maintain a certain look and little bit of shade.
View Other Tree Removal Costs & Options:
- Large Tree Removal
- Small Tree Removal
- Trimming & Stump Removal
- Hud Homes and Development – Volume 9, The Rehab Guide
- Estimating Tree Removal Costs: for Residential and Light Commercial Properties
158 people found this helpful. Was this guide helpful to you?
What Others are paying:
Comment:90,000 pruning of trees in Moscow and the Moscow region
- Valka of trees
- Trees Building
- Trees of trees
- Cutting branches of trees
- Sprinkled trees
- Croning of trees 9000
- Pruning and debranching: views
- How we work
- How much does it cost to delete a branch?
Do you need to cut tree branches at a height? Professional tree trimming services. Fast cleaning of trees from branches.
Please call: +7 (495) 991-55-21!
Tree pruning is part of the trimming job. However, full coverage is not always required. In most cases, we are called with a request to remove a tree branch that is an obstacle or an obstacle, or to cut branches, cut tree branches at a height, remove a dry branch, etc. In this case, we are talking about pruning the branches piece by piece.
Specialists of the company "High-rise works" perform professional pruning of branches at a height. We work in Moscow and the Moscow region, and we can also go to orders in neighboring regions.
Cleaning trees from unnecessary or emergency branches, pruning of knots is the work that we perform promptly. At the same time, the speed does not affect the quality in any way - it always remains consistently high, because professional arborists with extensive experience always take up the matter.
Pruning and removal of tree branches can be divided into types:
Thinning pruning is carried out in order to reduce the wind load from the tree and give it a neat appearance.
Rejuvenating de-branching of trees stimulates the growth of new shoots and allows you to form a crown of the desired type.
Sanitary pruning consists in the removal of dry branches and twigs, as well as branches and shoots with obvious signs of drying out or damage by diseases, insects. Sanitary pruning has several degrees, depending on which order of branches are removed. Branches of the first order are those that grow directly from the trunk. Branches of the second order grow from branches of the first order, and branches of the third order from the second.
Utility pruning is the removal of interfering parts of a tree. For example, a branch constantly “knocks” on a window or on the roof, a large branch touches the wires and can cause them to break, etc.
The most requested tree pruning services are sanitary and utilitarian delimbing. Sanitary pruning of branches does not require paperwork, and for all other types of crowning and pruning, a felling ticket is required. For trees located within garden plots and plots for individual housing construction, a felling ticket is also not required.
How do we do pruning and removal of branches and knots?
Work is carried out in a gentle manner. Rope technique is used, branches descend with loops. We do not use "cats" and "gaffs" when pruning branches, thus the trunk is not damaged.
Branches are cut by hand. The saw cut is treated with a wood antiseptic, which allows you to protect the tree and disguise the saw cut.
How much does it cost to delete a branch?
Here everything is individual, as in the case of deleting a whole tree. The table shows approximate prices for the removal and pruning of tree branches, but the final cost is affected not only by the type of tree, its height and trunk diameter, but also by the type of pruning (for example, sanitary pruning of branches of the 2nd order and 1st order may be different in cost) and conditions in which the arborist will have to work.
Table of approximate cost of tree trimming:
Degree of cut
Diameter ( D )
Coefficient ( K )
up to 40 cm.
40 to 50
50 to 60
The approximate cost of pruning and delimbing work can also be calculated using the formula: Base rate (cutting branches of the 1st order) x K = Total amount
If it is necessary to cut branches and branches in the Moscow region or outside it, then transportation costs are added to the cost of work.
Despite all the nuances of pricing, Vysotnye raboty maintains the cost of removing branches and trimming trees at an affordable level. We offer discounts for large volumes of work to our clients. The more trees, the cheaper!
You can order tree pruning services by phone +7 (495) 991-55-21, or by leaving a request on the website!
Order this service
We will call you back within 30 minutes
We do not share your personal data with third parties
Rating: 5/5 - 2 votes
how to prune correctly, tips for beginner gardeners
The same thing happens with varietal trees: if unnecessary branches are not removed in time, the plants will start to hurt, the fruits will become smaller and their taste will become worse. So we pick up a saw, pruner - and into the garden! March is the best time to bring apple trees into proper shape.
How to prune an old apple tree
Pruning an old apple tree should be done in 3 steps.
1. Shorten the barrel. Apple and pear trees "on free pasture" grow up to 6 - 8 m. This is a lot, it is inconvenient to harvest from such a height, the fruits fall to the ground and deteriorate. As a result, most of the crop goes to waste. Therefore, the trunk must be cut at a height of 2 m. It must be cut just above a large branch (Fig. A). You should not leave a large “stump”: over time, it will dry out, a hollow will form in its place, moisture will get there and the tree will rot in the bud.Author: Dmitry Polukhin
2. Cut thickening branches. Primarily large boughs that grow inwards (1). They strongly shade the crown, air stagnates there, and such conditions are ideal for the propagation of pathogens. Ultimately, the tree should take on the shape of a bowl (Fig. B).Author: Dmitry Polukhin
But keep in mind that in no case should thick branches on trees be cut in one go - in most cases they break off under their own weight, the bark lifts up, and then the wound does not heal for a long time. Therefore, it is necessary to cut such branches in 3 steps:
- at a distance of 50 - 75 cm from the base, cut the branch from below to about half its diameter;
- step back 15-20 cm higher along the branch and file it again to half the thickness, but from above - under the weight of its own weight, the branch will break off along the line of cuts;
- the remaining branch must be cut into a ring.
3. Trim the lateral skeletal branches. The maximum length of large branches should not exceed 2.5 m. They are cut in the same way as the trunk - just above the branch. The branch is chosen one that looks outside the crown, and not inside (Fig. B).Author: Dmitry Polukhin
After such a cardinal pruning, vertical shoots, the so-called tops, will begin to actively grow on the tree. Most of them will need to be removed, and it is better to do this as soon as they appear: you can simply pinch them with your fingers without waiting until they become woody. Part of the tops, if they grow in the right places, can be left to form skeletal or fruiting branches from them (2).
In addition, small branches must also be cut:
- One above the other. Ideal if in one tier all the branches are directed in different directions. In the other, they are also different, but with an offset relative to the lower tier. It is clear that fruit trees do not grow with geometric accuracy, but when pruning, you need to leave branches as close as possible to the picture.
- Growing at an acute angle to the stem or shoot (3). Over time, increasing their own mass, they will break off. And this is another wound on the tree. This can happen to any tree, but most often this problem occurs in Cinnamon, Borovinka, Kitayka Golden apple trees. The angle of the branch must be greater than 45° - this is a guarantee of strength.
- Crossed. With gusts of wind, they touch each other and get injured, and any wound is an open gate for infection.
Rules for caring for an old apple tree after pruning
Rejuvenating pruning ultimately benefits the apple tree. But at first she will be stressed. Therefore, it is important to take care of her.
Cover wounds. Standard version - garden pitch. But there are studies by scientists that have shown that most vars not only do not help wounds heal, they slow down this process. Practice has shown that it is better to paint over large saw cuts with oil paint on natural drying oil. And small sections, up to 2 cm in diameter, are best covered with plasticine.
Feed. After pruning, the tree will begin to actively grow shoots, so during the season it will need to be well fertilized.
- in April - any nitrogen fertilizer (ammonium nitrate or urea): half of what is recommended in the instructions;
- in May - superphosphate according to the instructions;
- in June - the second half of any of the above nitrogen fertilizers recommended in the instructions;
- in September - potassium sulfate according to the instructions.
In all cases, the fertilizer simply needs to be spread evenly over the soil surface along the crown diameter. And then water well (2 - 3 buckets per 1 sq. M).
Popular questions and answers
We addressed typical questions about pruning old apple trees to agronomist-breeder Svetlana Mikhailova.
When is the best time to prune an old apple tree?
Pruning of apple trees can be carried out almost at any time of the year, except for April, when the active sap flow begins in the trees. And there are restrictions on pruning in winter - it can only be done at air temperatures above -5 ° C. The rest of the time, you can cut apple trees, but it is most convenient to do this in March or autumn, when the leaves fall - at this time the crown is clearly visible.
Is it possible to cut an old apple tree drastically?
Rejuvenating pruning stretch for 2-3 years. In the first year, shorten the central trunk, in the second, cut out a few extra skeletal branches, in the third, shorten the remaining skeletal branches and cut out all excess shoots. If you cut a tree in one fell swoop, a huge number of tops will appear on it, for which the plant will spend a lot of energy to the detriment of the harvest.
When to do the next apple pruning after rejuvenation?
Apple trees need to be pruned annually - only in this way you can maintain the correct crown of the tree, and this is the basis for the health of the tree and its abundant fruiting.
- Dubrova P.