How to build a wooden tree swing
How to Make a DIY Tree Swing
Kamron Sanders is a home improvement expert and writer with over 15 years of hands-on construction, remodeling, woodworking, home repair, and landscaping experience. He has also written for HGTV. Kamron's expertise ranges from troubleshooting saws and lawnmowers to painting kitchen cabinets.
Learn more about The Spruce's Editorial Process
Updated on 07/16/22
Reviewed by Deane Biermeier
Deane Biermeier is an expert contractor with nearly 30 years of experience in all types of home repair, maintenance, and remodeling. He is a certified lead carpenter and also holds a certification from the EPA. Deane is a member of The Spruce's Home Improvement Review Board.
Learn more about The Spruce's Review Board
Fact checked by
Fact checked by Jessica Wrubel
Jessica Wrubel has an accomplished background as a writer and copy editor, working for various publications, newspapers and in public libraries assisting with reference, research and special projects. In addition to her journalism experience, she has been educating on health and wellness topics for over 15 years in and outside of the classroom.
Learn more about The Spruce's Editorial ProcessMike Tauber / Getty Images
A simple rope swing suspended from a tree is the cherry on top of a good yard. Maybe it's because this classic lawn accessory is one of the few toys that, when done right, can actually improve the look of the yard while greatly boosting its fun factor. When built properly, these swings can last for years and provide safe playtime season after season. However, there are a few tips and tricks that you'll want to pay special attention to in order to ensure the quality and safety of your tree swing.
How to Build a Swing Set
Equipment / Tools
- Extension ladder
- Measuring tape
- Miter saw
- Speed Square
- Drill bits
- Chamfer bit
- Orbital sander
- Polyurethane brush
- Small box level
- Utility knife
- 2 2-foot 1/4-inch stainless-steel chains
- 50-100-foot 5/8-inch twisted polypropylene rope
- 2 1/4-inch chain shackles
- 2 1/4-inch grab hooks
- 2-foot 2x8 hardwood lumber board
- 5/8-inch fender washers
- Clear polyurethane sealant
- Wood stain (optional)
- 120-grit sanding pads
- 220-grit sanding pads
Choose the Proper Tree
Before building your swing, you should first scope your yard for the right tree. It's wise to avoid more fragile varieties such as evergreens, willows, fruit trees, and any other softwood varieties. Instead, focus your search on mature hardwoods like maples, oaks, hickories, and sycamores.
Choose a Sturdy Branch
The best candidate for a tree swing is a nearly horizontal branch that measures at least 8 inches in diameter and sits no more than 15 feet from the ground. From the ground, it can be hard to tell how sturdy a tree branch is. So, once you have a branch in mind, grab an extension ladder for further inspection. Lean the ladder against the branch and ensure it's safe before climbing. Measure the branch and inspect the overall health of the branch as well as the tree itself before moving forward.
Position Chains on Branch
While the rope is the quintessential part of a tree swing, positioning chains on the branch itself is a great way to ensure the safety of the swing, as well as make future adjustments a breeze.
First, make sure you have enough chain to leave a little excess for tree growth. Outfit your chain with a grab hook on one end and an anchor shackle on the other, ensuring both are securely fastened to the chain. Slip the chain around the branch, and tightly secure it by hooking it to the grab hook. Repeat with the second chain, spacing the two approximately 1 1/2 to 2 feet apart.
Strike a balance when choosing the positioning of your chains. A swing that's too close to the trunk poses a safety risk whilst swinging, while one too far from the trunk could compromise the strength of the branch. On large, sturdy branches, aim for spacing of at least 3 feet from the trunk.
Attach Rope to Chain Shackles
Slide the end of the rope through the chain shackle, then cut at a length that leaves each end touching the ground. Gather the two ends of the rope, wrap them around themselves, and pull through to form an overhand knot that sits approximately 4 feet from the ground. This will result in two loose ends hanging just above the ground. Repeat on the second rope.
We've chosen 5/8-inch polypropylene rope for its longevity and strength. Altering the size and type of rope used could compromise the safety and quality of your swing and should be done so with caution. Additionally, natural fiber ropes should be inspected often to circumvent safety risks caused by deterioration.
Cut Board to Size for Swing Base
If your board isn't precut, use a miter saw to cut it to a length of 24 inches.
Measure, Mark, and Drill Holes
Use a Speed Square to mark a spot in each corner by measuring and marking a line 2 inches from each side. Drill a 5/8-inch hole where each line overlaps.
Sand and Detail Edges
Fit an orbital sander with 120-grit sandpaper and remove all splinters from the board, especially focusing on the edges. Once the board is nice and smooth, fit a router with a chamfer bit, and set until the bit is positioned to create a 1/4-inch wide chamfer. Run the router around every edge, as well as inside of each hole. Sand the board once more with 220-grit sandpaper, ensuring there are no sharp edges or splinters.
What Is a Chamfered Edge?
A chamfered edge is one with a 45-degree face. It offers a soft transition from the board's top to its side, while maintaining a sleek, modern appearance.
Stain and Seal Board
Following the manufacturer's instructions, stain your board with your desired stain color or leave natural if desired. Once the stain has had ample time to dry, follow up with a clear polyurethane sealant, installing and allowing to dry according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Thread Rope Through Swing Base Holes
Focusing on one corner at a time, thread each rope through the holes in the wood base, positioning a fender washer on the underside. Tie the rope in an overhand knot and leave the excess hanging. Repeat until all four ropes are threaded and tied, aiming for the base to sit approximately 2 to 3 feet from the ground. This may seem high, but once the ropes stretch and the knots are set, the swing will settle into a lower position.
When adjusting the base, the position of the branch and ground is irrelevant. Instead, solely focus on the levelness of the swing base itself. Place a small level on the base and untie and adjust each rope until the seat sits level.
Set the Knots
Once you are satisfied with the swing's position, have an adult carefully sit in the swing to set the knots. Once the knots have tightened, inspect each knot, both at the base and the branch. If all is well, cut off the excess rope, leaving around 2 to 3 inches of excess for good measure, then melt the ends with the lighter to prevent fraying.
All components of a tree swing (including the tree) should be inspected at least once a season to ensure no wear or abnormalities have compromised the swing's safety. Additionally, regularly sealing your base will keep it from wearing due to exposure to the elements.
The 9 Best Swing Sets of 2022 for Your Backyard
How to Make a DIY Tree Swing
We recently added a DIY tree swing to the large tree in our front yard, and our son is loving it! This wooden tree swing is incredibly easy to put together, and your kids will love swinging on it all summer long!
Jackson loves to swing (what three-year-old doesn’t?) and a couple of years back we got him one of those ugly, plastic swings to hang on the tree in our front yard. I didn’t mind that it was an eyesore – it made him happy – but I did mind that we did kind of an awkward job of hanging it and it sat really high off the ground.
It looked ridiculous. And we never fixed it. For years. It still functioned (kind of) and Jack never complained, so we just rolled with it.
But now, he’s really getting to a point where he’s outgrowing the blue monstrosity and he really prefers to use a “big kid” swing when we go to the playground. So, we decided it was high time to make a DIY tree swing that would grow with him a little better and have the added bonus of not making our front yard look like a toddler playground.
I debated even posting this project because it’s so easy, but I had a really hard time finding tutorials online when I was trying to figure out how to do this, so I figured it was worth it in case anyone else goes looking in the future. I have to add the obvious disclaimer that we aren’t pros and this may or may not be the safest or smartest way to hang a tree swing. We’re both confident that this will be a sturdy and safe swing for our family, but you should always take on a project like this at your own risk!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to see my full disclosure policy.
Ugh, how adorable is that?
The best part about this project? It cost about $10 (all you need is some rope and a piece of wood), takes less than an hour to build, and looks incredibly cute. When I was researching, I found a similar wood swing for over $200 on Etsy. TWO-HUNDRED-DOLLARS, Y’ALL. And that wasn’t abnormal. There were several $200+ options that look almost exactly like the one we built.
So, let’s get to it.How to Build a DIY Tree Swing
Step 1: Cut Your Wood to Size
Start with a piece of wood cut to the size you want. My research told me that a “standard” size for a wood swing is about 7″ deep by 16″ long, so that’s what we went with. You can make it a little longer for a more rustic look (and to fit a bigger butt), but this was the perfect size for Jack.
Drill a hole near each corner of the wood, and sand all of the edges down a bit so they aren’t too sharp. If you want to stain, paint, or seal your board, this is a great time to do it. We left ours natural for now, but I may go back later and at least seal it.
Step 2: Tie Rope Around Tree Branch
Step 3: Attach Rope to Swing Seat
Next up, grab your rope and tie it around the branch of your tree using a double running bowline knot. Grab the other end of the rope, thread it down through one hole in a side of the swing and up through the other, then tie a fisherman’s knot with five loops (meaning, you’ll loop the rope around five times before doing the knot, and have the end of it come up through all five loops).
We got one side done, then used a level on the other side to make sure the swing didn’t hang crooked.
Use some rope clamps or zip ties to tie up the excess rope, so it doesn’t just flap around….
And then, get to swinging.
This is a seriously easy project, but I can’t even tell you how much joy it has brought Jackson already. We just finished hanging it yesterday and I swear he would spend every waking second out there if we let him. I have a feeling we’ll get a lot of use out of it this summer!
And I’m feeling pretty happy to have that ugly blue swing out of my life.
What projects did you work on this weekend?Other Kid-Friendly DIY Ideas
- DIY Backyard Chalkboard
- Easy Display for Kids’ Art
- IKEA Play Kitchen Makeover
- Tips for Decorating with Kids
- How to Create a Summer Schedule
- Sights of the construction of garden swings
- Advantages of self -manufacturing swings
- Size and swing model
- CHOOK 9000,
- Drawing of wooden swings
- Family swings 9000 9000
It's good if a cozy resting place for the whole family is equipped on the plot of land. Even in a small area, you can place a gazebo, a canopy, several small benches. Do not interfere on the site and garden swings.
They can be made for both children and adults. Building a wooden swing with your own hands is quite simple. To do this, you need to follow the instructions.
Details of the construction of a garden swing
When creating a wooden swing for the garden, you will need to decide on the main material. It can be metal, wood or plastic. They are most often used in the construction of swings with and without backs. When creating such a design with your own hands, it is best to pay attention to wood.
Such a swing will undoubtedly have its drawbacks. However, they are relevant to all outdoor wood products. With proper processing and installation of the structure, it will serve for many years. Such a swing will not suffer from the effects of negative environmental factors.
The most unfavorable of them are:
- mold and fungus;
- sun rays;
- temperature fluctuations.
You can quickly build a swing in the garden with your own hands.
Tip! To prevent premature deterioration of wood, it is worth using special tools to protect wooden elements. You can also put an awning over the swing.
Advantages of making your own swing
Wood has many positive properties that ensure its successful use in different conditions. This allows you to make a wooden swing for giving not only comfortable and beautiful.
Wooden structures have the following features:
- Eco-friendly. Wood is a natural material that is completely safe for humans and animals.
- External attractiveness. The swing, made of wooden elements, can fit perfectly into any landscape. This is because in the garden, most of the surroundings are natural materials. Compared to metal products, wooden swings look much more harmonious in the garden near a country house.
- High security. Wood has softness and flexibility, which helps to avoid many injuries during the operation of the swing. This advantage is especially true if the design is intended for children.
- Easy to install. Almost everyone can build a swing on their own. The main thing is to get acquainted with the construction technology of the structure.
- Versatility. Such material is excellent for processing. It can be cut, sanded and turned. Swings are made both single and in the form of spacious sofas. For work on the design and construction of the swing, you will not need to involve specialists.
Attention! With the independent manufacture of wooden swings, you do not need to spend money on the work of specialists. Also, the material for the construction has a fairly low price.
Sizes and models of the swing
When building a wooden swing yourself, you should take care not only of finding materials for the structure, but also of creating a project. You will also need to determine the location of the swing. To speed up work, use photos of finished products. You can also use existing drawings.
Wooden swings are available in many designs. Each of them should be considered in more detail:
- Family. The main distinguishing feature of such structures is their large capacity. The basis of the design is a bench of great length. It usually fits up to 4-5 people at once. Most often, such products have a canopy that can protect from rain and sun.
- Children's swing. Such products can be made in various modifications. Often, structures have supports, a seat and fasteners. When building them, it is important to think about creating maximum safety conditions for the child. For this, a comfortable backrest, partitions and belts are constructed, with which the child is fixed.
- Portable. Such structures are small in size and light in weight. Such characteristics allow not only to quickly dismantle and move the swing within the site, but also transport them by car to other places. Such swings are mounted on tree branches, on quickly installed supports.
The photo of the wooden swing from above confirms that the portable structures look quite attractive. When choosing the type of swing that you plan to install on your site, you should pay attention to the features of the backyard area.
Any construction planned on a summer cottage must first be designed. Also, before work, the optimal place for construction is selected.
Attention! All principles that are used when choosing a place for a swing apply to both family and children's swings.
It is best if the area where the swing is to be installed is level. You should also choose a place where shade will remain during sunny days. You can install a swing under a spreading tree or place them directly on the porch, where a canopy will save you from bad weather.
Such factors directly affect the comfort of people resting on the swing. For example, it is rather unpleasant to sit on a seat that is too hot. If the structure is outdoors, the wooden elements may deteriorate from constant exposure to precipitation.
It is also necessary to choose a place where there is enough space for swinging. It must be taken into account that during the day the shadow will move depending on the position of the sun in the sky. It is better to place the swing where the shadow is by noon. This is the time when the heat is at its strongest.
Drawing of a wooden swing
Building a swing with your own hands from wood is quite simple. To do this, you need to perform an accurate drawing. Simple hanging structures that are mounted on an A-shaped support will fit perfectly into both a large plot and a small garden. Their construction does not require much effort and time. It is necessary to prepare the following tools:
- circular saw;
- tape measure;
You will also need a planer and a hammer, a chisel, sawhorses, a screwdriver, an electric drill to make the swing.
Attention! The purchase of ready-made swings, of course, is a faster and easier option. However, in order for the design to fully meet the needs of the site owner, it is worth drawing up an individual project and doing all the work yourself.
You can create a swing for a summer house with your own hands quite quickly. In order to avoid problems during the direct performance of work, it is worth drawing up a drawing in advance. It will reflect all building materials with indication of dimensions. Based on a detailed diagram, you can easily understand which building elements you need to buy.
For example, you will need bars for the uprights, boards for the back, seat and armrests. You should also stock up on fasteners. It is better if pine impregnated with special compounds is chosen to create the structure.
Tip! In advance, you should prepare an antiseptic with which the wood will be treated. In addition, you need to choose materials for finishing wooden swings.
Such subtleties in the construction of a structure must be taken into account even at the planning stage.
In addition to fasteners, you will need to prepare spacers, a chain (2 cm thick), hooks, sandpaper.
Do-it-yourself family swing
The best place to install the structure is the backyard. In most cases, it is equipped specifically for recreation. Here the swing will look cozy and harmonious.
An oblique cut is marked on the end of each supporting leg for the swing. Such work is carried out using a square. The result should be a bevel along which the cut will be made.
Before sawing wooden structural elements, they must first be secured to the trestles. Sawing should be according to the markup. Do not forget about controlling the parties. Sometimes you need to process an already made bevel. To do this, use a planer.
To make the second leg identical, attach the first butt joint to it. Each mark is transferred to the second leg. Then they are cut through. After that, each leg is laid on the edge in such a way that there is 1.2 m between their lower parts. The upper ends of the legs are adjacent to the transverse beam.
Half a meter is marked from the bottom of the supporting legs and a lower bar is applied to fasten the legs of one side of the swing. The top brace must be 15 cm below the crossbeam.
As soon as the supporting legs of each side are fastened together, the crossbeam must be mounted. The seat is created on the basis of the L-shaped frame. In this case, the boards must have a thickness of 50 mm.
Attention! If you want to build a children's swing, you just need to shorten the seat.
To hang the swing on both sides of the structure, it is worth installing screws to which the rings will be fixed. Such elements must be used to connect the swing and support using suspensions. Usually chains are used for wooden structures.
The connection of the main parts is carried out with carabiners. The length of the suspensions is selected in accordance with the wishes of the site owner. It is better if the bench is placed at a height of 30 cm from the ground.
Tip! Chains can be seen with a fairly strong rope. This is due to the fact that such products do not create a lot of noise.
Completion of work
At the last stage of the construction of the structure, all its elements are varnished. This will ensure that the surface is as smooth as possible, and will also preserve the natural look of the wood and increase the life of the swing.
The structure can also be painted in any color. In addition, many install a small canopy. It is worth including fantasy in the process, and the swing can be made as original as possible. To make the swing more comfortable, you can put pillows on them.
- Building a toilet in the country with your own hands
- Do-it-yourself bath from glued laminated timber
- Do-it-yourself children's wooden house
- We build a cellar with our own hands
Do-it-yourself wooden swing - drawings and step-by-step instructions
You don't have to be a carpenter or joiner to make a do-it-yourself wooden swing. Even a beginner will cope with the task. The main thing is to follow the instructions, besides, you can always find a few simple technical solutions in the photo.
Making a wooden swing with your own hands
Location on the site
Step-by-step instructions for making
- Work materials
- Assembly of beams and supports
- Pillar concreting
- Seat assembly
- Installation of hangers
From an engineering point of view, homemade models differ little from factory ones. Their advantage lies in the fact that the design of the supports and the seat, as well as all the decorative elements, can be developed independently. It is much more pleasant to have in your country yard an object of the ideal size, made according to your own drawings. When the proportions change, not only the dimensions change, but also the carrying capacity. Based on the same model, you can build a light suspension for children or a more massive one that can withstand several adults. The main difference lies in the structure of the base.
- Suspension without supports is the simplest solution. To implement it, you need to design a seat and find a crossbar to secure it. Often a tree branch is used as a basis. It should have a large margin of safety - if it breaks and falls on your head, you can get serious injuries.
- Hanger mounts on an A-, X- or U-frame with a crossbar to support the total weight.
- On a square frame, two seats are suspended along the edges, connected at the bottom with a platform for feet.
- Polypropylene ropes or ropes.
- Metal tubes.
- Wooden bars and laths.
- Board with mounting holes. To make such a swing is the easiest. Particular attention should be paid to the processing of the material - it is impregnated with antiseptics, polished and varnished.
- Hanging chair with back - it can be hard or soft. For several people, a bench with a width of 2 to 3 m is suitable. Wood, metal and plastic are used as materials. The bottom is made completely rigid or the tarpaulin is pulled over the edges of the frame. For upholstery of a hard surface, foam rubber is used, covered with a waterproof fabric.
- "Nest" - the space inside the hoop is intertwined with a rope that forms a fine mesh. An ordinary gymnastic hoop will not be able to support the weight of an adult, so the base will have to be made independently from a pack of hoops or from a steel pipe. To bend it, you will have to contact the workshop, where there is a bending machine.
- Ball chair - it is woven from rattan - dried palm or calamus stalks. To make a durable chair that is not afraid of moisture and fire, plastic rope or metal tubes are used instead of stems.
Not one, but several seats are tied to a wide beam with a high load-bearing capacity. An awning or a visor made of transparent plastic is installed on top.
DIY wood scaffolding
The place should be conducive to relaxation. If this is a playground for active games, it is better to arrange it away from the garage or workshop. The smell of gasoline, solvents and other substances is not only unpleasant, it is also toxic. The noise from a running engine and hammer blows from behind the wall are unlikely to interfere with the fun, but such soundtrack is not suitable for reading and conversations.
One of the conditions is a good view. In the case when the eyes rest against a wall or fence, it is better to turn the frame 45 degrees, then the barrier will be on the side.
It is advisable to choose a flat place - otherwise you will have to put supports of different lengths to level the entire structure.
Often the structure is placed in the recreation area - near the barbecue, gazebos, verandas. Even after impregnation with flame retardants - substances that slow down combustion - wood remains a fire hazardous material. The farther the racks are from an open flame, the better.
One of the most comfortable places is the garden that hides the house and the fence. It is not suitable for small children who require constant attention. There is always a risk that they will fall. In this case, they need urgent help. Adults should be aware of everything that is happening, so it is better to equip the playground closer to the windows.
Another important condition is a safe distance from walls and poles. It is easy to get seriously injured if you hit them. It is advisable to choose a dry area without puddles. Wet ground is covered with sand, and a reinforced concrete foundation is brought under the racks.
Do-it-yourself garden swing from metal: detailed instructions
Before you start assembling a garden swing with your own hands from wood, you need to stock up not only with materials and tools, but also with protective impregnations. To prevent the appearance of mold, compositions containing antiseptics are used. To protect against moisture, the surface is varnished in several layers, after drying the parts.
We will need the following blanks:
- 4 beams of 3 m each with a section of 10x10 cm - we will make side racks from them.
- 1 beam with a section of 8x10 cm - we will make a horizontal crossbar from it, which will hold the suspensions.
- A-shaped sidewalls need ribs to improve their stability. They are cut out of boards 3.2x10 or 4x10 cm. Consumption depends on the height at which this element is located. 6 m will be enough.
- The wooden seat is assembled from 5x5 cm bars. The total length is 6 m.
- For suspensions - rope, metal chain or polymer rope.
- Fix the seat with carabiners and rings. They are bought ready-made or made independently from thick nails and reinforcing bars.
- Fittings are mounted on bolts, screws and nails made of stainless or galvanized steel.
- Pillars should be concreted so that they do not collapse. To do this, you need to prepare sand, cement M400 and roofing material.
Parts must be free from defects. The surface is leveled with a planer and emery, the edges are chamfered. Leaving sharp corners is dangerous.
Tools must be stocked up in advance - otherwise the work will stretch for a long time.
- Clamp - A vise-like device that allows you to fix the workpiece.
- Wood saw.
- Emery and planer.
- Building level, tape measure, square and pencil.
Connecting racks and beams
Before you make a swing with your own hands from wood, you need to draw a diagram showing the dimensions of all the details. In addition, it is necessary to calculate how the main load-bearing elements are interconnected.
- To mount the A-frames, the ends of the uprights are cut at an angle. Sections folded together should be tightly adjacent to each other. The easiest solution is to connect them together and make a platform for the vertical element on top. The joint is reinforced with a metal corner. For more reliable adhesion, the vertical is recessed between the columns, having previously cut out supporting grooves in them. From below, at the same level with them, a board is nailed, which also acts as a support. The beam is fixed on the racks with anchors.
- X-shaped sidewalls are more massive. They differ in that the suspensions are mounted below the upper edges of the columns. Their supports should be higher than previous models. To connect two beams, grooves are made in them, choosing half of the array at the junction of each part. If left less, the back sides will protrude. This technique is sometimes used for decorative purposes. During installation, both parts are pressed with anchors. As a rule, they form an acute angle. In this case, additional grooves for the beam should be provided in them.
- U-shaped structures are the most bulky and least stable. The crossbar is laid on two vertical supports. The corners must be reinforced with stiffeners and metal plates. The beam is mounted on top of the anchors. In the upper crossbars, small grooves can be made for it, allowing it to be securely fixed.
Vertical elements made of timber are highly durable. They can be additionally reinforced with stiffeners - horizontal boards nailed to the middle or bottom of the columns. When mounted not on the edge, but on the edge, the bearing capacity increases.
Concreting of posts
It is necessary to give stability to the outdoor wooden swing for summer cottages. This installation method helps protect wood from moisture, increasing its service life several times. Even in dry soil, water accumulates, destroying the material. The underground part of the timber will be constantly in a humid environment. Wooden parts are not designed for such conditions, and neither antiseptics nor varnish will save them.
Concreting step by step
- The mortar is prepared from sand and cement grade M400 in a ratio of 2:1. It is more convenient to knead in a construction plastic basin or other shallow container.
- In the ground, using a drill or a shovel, they dig holes for columns half a meter deep.
- The bottom is covered with rubble and then with sand. The thickness of each layer is 10 cm. A jet of water from a hose is used for tamping.
- The lower part of the beams is wrapped with roofing material, immersed in holes and poured with cement mortar. It gains brand strength within 24 days. All this time, the supports are not recommended to be loaded. It is better to postpone subsequent work for four weeks.
Mounting the seat
Assembling a swing with your own hands for a summer residence, you can construct not only load-bearing elements, but also a seat from wood.
- 5x5 cm bars are sawn into 60 cm blanks. They will be used to make the back and the main part. With a total length of 6 m, 10 segments should be obtained.
- The ends are cut so that they fit snugly together, being at the desired angle. The joints are reinforced with metal staples.
- Parts are arranged in parallel with a step of 40-50 cm and sheathed with boards. The length of the bench will be about 2 m.
- Armrests attached to the edges. They rest against the most reliable bearing parts of the structure.
Mounting the suspensions
First, they are mounted on the seat. It is more convenient to use ready-made parts, for example, bolts with loops. To make them yourself, it is better to take thick nails and bend them. Holes are drilled in wide bars and a rope or rope is threaded through them, passing under the bottom.
You need a more secure connection at the top. It can be studs or hinged bolts. They are inserted into pre-prepared holes and tightened with nuts. Instead of bent nails, it is better to use reinforcing bars. At their ends, threads are cut for a more durable fastening. There are special holders, which are steel crossbars 10-20 cm long with carabiners at the ends. Their central part at the bottom has a notch for a beam and a hole for a through bolt. Such a device is able to withstand the weight of several people.
When assembling a wooden swing with your own hands, you need to try to make it safe. All protruding parts should be rounded, and protruding bolts should be hidden down or back. It is advisable to wrap the chains from below with a cloth or wrap with a rope so that the links do not injure the hand. It is better to cover the ground under your feet with sand or lay a special soft coating for playgrounds. If the suspended structure is intended for adults, the bottom is covered with gravel or tiles are laid.