How to decorate christmas tree in paper
5 Easy Christmas Paper Crafts to Make Paper Christmas Trees
ByHavalyn Updated on
Today we have 5 different Christmas paper crafts that transform paper into Christmas tree crafts which are great for kids of all ages this holiday season. Not only are Christmas trees the most recognizable Christmas decoration, they are really fun and easy paper crafts which make them great holiday crafts.
Paper Christmas Tree Crafts for Kids
We thought it would be helpful to have a variety of paper Christmas tree craft ideas since they can be done as shown or be inspired by these ideas to make your own paper tree art perfect project.
These kids’ Christmas crafts are perfect for kids of all ages. We have simplified them to include instructions for toddlers and preschoolers developing fine motor skills, but they are a great idea for older kids too. Older kids can take a sheet of paper and build something amazing!
Any of the flat Christmas tree crafts can be adapted to making Christmas cards or wall decoration art. The 3D Christmas tree makes a lovely centerpiece and take just a little time this holiday season.
Let’s make paper trees for Christmas…you may end up with a whole forest!
This article contains affiliate links.
1. Paper Strip Christmas Tree Craft
- Several sheets of colored paper – construction paper, colorful copy paper, scrapbook paper or even Christmas wrapping paper (no need to go to the craft store)
- (optional) Hole punch
- (optional) Star punch
- (Optional) Paper plate
Instructions to Make Paper Strip Christmas Tree
- Cut colorful strips of paper. They can be uniform strips of a certain width or create a variety like is show in our example.
- Arrange the strips into a tree shape on a piece of construction paper or paper plate. Trim the ends of the paper strips so that the top of the tree is created with shorter strips than the bottom. Have fun creating criss-cross patterns or parallel lines.
- Glue the strips onto a piece of paper in your tree shape and fashion a trunk at the bottom.
- Punch out holes from the colored paper scraps or use scissors to cut small ornament shapes. Glue those on top the finished tree including a star for the very tippy tree top.
2. Paper Triangle Christmas Trees with Clothes Pin Trunks
Supplies Needed for Toddler Christmas Tree Art
- Green construction paper or card stock paper
- Decorations for your tree – punched holes, buttons, holiday stickers, etc.
- Clothes Pins
Steps for Creating Your Paper Triangle Christmas Tree
- Cut triangles and triangle shape pieces out of your green paper or green cardstock.
- Attach the decorations with glue.
- Add a clothes pin at the bottom of each tree as a trunk.
If you are crafting with toddlers, one thing that you could do to eliminate the smaller decoration pieces is to cut the triangles out of cardboard and then cover them with Christmas wrapping paper. The kids can then attach the clothes pins and make tree forests.
3. Preschool Paper Christmas Tree Craft
Supplies Needed for Preschool Christmas Tree Craft
- Green construction paper cut into different shape triangles
- Glue stick
- Stickers – we like the round ones you can find in office supply stores & gold stars
Steps for Creating Your Preschool Paper Christmas Tree Craft:
- Preschoolers can arrange the triangles into a tree and use a glue stick to attach to paper.
- Use stickers to create a decorated Christmas tree which is one of the best fine motor skills building activities…ever.
Older kids can cut out the triangles or Christmas tree shape out of green paper as the first step or use a more delicate craft supply like tissue paper to make a tissue paper Christmas tree.
4. Funny Googly Eye Tree Craft for Kids
Supplies Needed for Silly Christmas Tree Craft
- Green paper or green card stock – it doesn’t have to be a traditional “tree” green color, try a greenish or neon choice
- Pair of Scissors
- Glue or glue sticks
- Googly eyes
Steps for Creating Your Silly Paper Christmas Tree Craft:
- Cut paper into triangles – different sizes and they don’t have to be uniform…remember, this is a SILLY craft!
- Glue the triangles onto a piece of paper in a not-perfectly straight way.
- Add the different size Googly eyes and have a giggle.
5. Make a 3 D Paper Cone Tree for Christmas
Supplies Needed for Paper Cone Tree Craft
- large piece of paper
- green construction paper
- glue or tape or hot glue gun
Steps for Creating Your 3D Paper Christmas Tree Cone
- Start with your big piece of paper and create a cone with it. Tape or glue it securely into a cone shape and trim the bottom so it can sit flat and upright.
- Cut the green construction paper into 1.5- 2 inch strips. Then holding the paper vertically, cut the strips of paper very close to the top, but not all the way through (if you cut your paper 2 inches thick, cut it 1 and 3/4 inches, so there is enough room at the top.
- Starting at the bottom of your cone, holding the sides of your paper that isn’t cut, begin gluing the strips of paper to your tree. Continue and overlap as much as you would like.
- When you get to the top of the tree, take a strip of your cut green construction paper and make another cone that you glue to the top of the tree.
- Decorate your 3D paper Christmas tree! It makes the cutest small tree Christmas decoration. Don’t forget to put a star on the top of the Christmas tree.
Now we have a paper cone Christmas tree on every table!
MORE CHRISTMAS CRAFT FUN FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- If you are looking for more Christmas crafts for kids, then check out our huge resource with over 100 ideas you can make at home or in the classroom.
- We have oh so many free Christmas printables that you won’t want to miss and keep the paper Christmas crafting going!
- Check out all the anticipation that the holiday season brings with Christmas countdown ideas for the entire family.
- And your REAL Christmas tree won’t be complete without some adorable homemade ornaments! <–check out these fun & easy ideas!
Which of the Christmas paper crafts did you choose? What did your paper Christmas tree look like?
Havalyn is a stay at home mama with a beautiful girl with CFD (congenital femoral deficiency). She devotes her days to helping her grow and develop by doing crafts and activities together. In her spare time she enjoys spending time with family, anything artsy, working out, music, baking, and reading. Hava writes about her life at Rory Jane and Little Right Leg and tweets as @LittleRightLeg.
Paper Plate Christmas Tree - Made To Be A Momma
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Paper Plate Christmas Tree is a festive and colorful paper plate Christmas craft the kids can enjoy making in 30 minutes and with minimal supplies!
PAPER PLATE CHRISTMAS TREE
One of the things I love best about the holidays is being able to make Christmas crafts with my kids. This paper plate Christmas tree craft is a fun way to kick off the holiday season. The combination of mini pom poms and mini sequins makes this a colorful Christmas craft that can be made in about 30 minutes with minimal supplies, great for last minute crafting or an activity to keep the kids busy for a bit.Using the Christmas Tree to Decorate
There are several ways you can use this craft as a decoration. You can use a hole puncher to put a hole in the top. Then, add some yarn so it can be hung in a window or on the tree if your tree is big enough. Another neat way to display the Christmas tree craft is to glue the whole completed tree on a large piece of construction paper. Then, the kids can draw anything they want with the tree such as presents or snowflakes. If you want to get a little fancier with it, cut the construction paper into the shape of a shirt and glue the Christmas tree plate on so it looks like a funny ugly sweater shirt.
PAPER PLATE CHRISTMAS VIDEO
What You’ll Need to Make This Paper Plate Christmas Tree Craft
Some of these supplies you may have in your craft supplies or kitchen right now. Others can be found at a craft store or on Amazon. Gather these items to prepare for making this fun holiday craft:
- Paper plates (the super cheap ones are fine)
- Mini Pom Poms
- Gold Glitter Paper
- Green Paint
- Brown Paint
- Jumbo Popsicle Sticks
- Hot glue gun and a clear glue stick
CAN I USE DIFFERENT DECORATIONS ON THE TREE?
You can absolutely use anything you or your kids want to decorate your paper plate Christmas tree. I enjoy the pom-poms and gemstones but feel free to let your kids customize their tree with other decorative items like:
- Old Buttons
HOW TO MAKE PAPER PLATE CHRISTMAS TREE
- Paint the entire front of the paper plate green. Then, let it dry.
- Once the paper plate has dried, cut it into quarters so you have four triangles.
- Glue three of the triangles together as shown in the photo above.
- Paint a jumbo popsicle stick brown. Then, hot glue it to the back of the Christmas tree you formed with the three triangles.
- Decorate your tree with adhesive gemstones and mini pom-poms.
- Add a glitter star to the top of the tree! We love to use a mini star cookie cutter for to trace a perfect star shape.
TIPS & FAQ’S FOR THE BEST PAPER PLATE TREE
Why cut the plate into four parts and only use three?
Cutting the plate into fourths provides a nice size for the Christmas tree without it being too big or bulky. It also allows you to use just three plates to make four of the trees.
What if I don’t have a popsicle stick?
If you don’t have large popsicle sticks to use for this craft, you can use brown construction paper. If you want it to be sturdier, you can cut out the trunk shape several times and glue them together. They can be hung on the wall around the tree or placed in the dining area as part of the festive, Christmas décor.
Katie is a wife and mother to two little boys and one little girl.She is a mommy blogger who loves crafting, diy projects for the home, cooking, and baking for her family.She enjoys making her house a home and encouraging other Momma's in the crazy and blessed life of motherhood! Read more...
Christmas Diy & Crafts Everyday Crafts Fun for Kids Holidays Kids Crafts Paper Plate Crafts Winter Crafts
Created by Katie
Katie is a Christian, wife and mother to two little boys and one little girl. She is a mommy blogger who loves crafting, diy projects for the home, cooking, and baking for her family. She enjoys making her house a home and encouraging other Momma's in the crazy and blessed life of motherhood!
DIY paper Christmas decorations: simple crafts for the Christmas tree for the new year 2022 - a master class with a photo
For me, New Year and Christmas are holidays dedicated to love and family. Gatherings in decorated rooms filled with soft light immediately come to mind. In this article, I decided to collect several ways to make your own paper decorations for the New Year - primarily for the Christmas tree. I hope that among the festive bustle you will have a few free minutes to make New Year's paper toys with your own hands. How to make origami, we will not tell you in this article. But we will show how to make original New Year paper crafts in many other ways.
Christmas crafts made of colored paper - simple and romantic decorations - look great on our tall and beautiful Christmas tree.
With the exception of the gold-plated balloons, all New Year's toys and crafts, from personalized gift bags to fabric and paper stars, can be made by hand. A garland of plain colored paper or old scores, twig stars and delicate bows add a retro touch to the décor. We tell you how you can make New Year's toys with your own hands from paper.
Read also ...
DIY: DIY volume Christmas tree
Decoration for a Christmas tree from paper balls
Materials and tools:
- Old scores or any other paper;
- sheets of cardboard;
- miscellaneous buttons and beads;
- needle and thread;
- glue stick.
If you are an origami master, then it will be easier for you to make original decorations for the Christmas tree in this way, simply by folding sheets of paper. If not, we will be happy to share with you how to make toys and other New Year paper crafts: step by step photos and diagrams are attached.
Step 1. To create the paper balls, cut a circle out of cardboard to use as a template. I used a jar found in the pantry, the neck of which I circled with a pen. Such a template was 5.5 cm in diameter. Attach the template to sheets of thick colored paper or an old score, circle it and cut out the resulting circles.
Step 2. To make this paper craft, you will need six circles for paper balls (or six paper squares for volumetric "cubes"). Glue half of the circle and glue it to half of the other circle. The glued halves must be bent in the center. Use all six paper circles to get the right shape.
In the photo: Christmas toys made by your own hands - adults and children - will not only be a beautiful Christmas tree decoration, but also a great way to spend time with your child
Step 3 Use a needle and thread to sew the resulting Christmas decoration onto the top of the tree. How to do it is shown in the photo.
Step 4 Leave enough thread to make a loop to hang your paper craft. Hang a bead on a thread and tie it with a small knot.
Tip: Use the same principle for making cubes: instead of paper rounds, you will need square ones. And to create a New Year's atmosphere, try cutting out figures of various shapes and making an original toy out of them.
In the photo: A paper garland - it is not difficult to make it yourself, and the result will please all members of your family
What can be done using leftover scores? Build another craft - make a paper garland for the New Year in the same style and decorate the Christmas tree with it. From paper strips, glue the links of the New Year's decor by connecting them together. I also decorated the tree with golden bows.
How to make a colored paper star craft
Materials and tools:
- sewing machine;
- old scores or any other paper;
- buttons and beads;
- needle and thread.
Step 1. Cut out two star shaped templates from cardboard. The second template should be a centimeter larger than the first. I found the star shape on the Internet, and the second, larger template can be made manually. Trace the smaller template with pen and cut out your paper stars. For each of the paper crafts, you will need two paper stars.
Step 2 Make fabric stars using the large template. Again, for each decoration you will need two fabric stars.
Step 3. Attach each fabric star to the paper and secure them with the paper. If the stars aren't exactly aligned, don't worry—their shape can be corrected later.
Step 4. Sew the stars all around, 2mm from the edges of the paper star.
Step 5. Sew buttons onto one of the stars.
Step 6. After that, connect the two stars so that the sides of the fabric are inside. Do not forget to put a piece of twine between them, which can later be used as a loop. Fasten the stars with pins.
Step 7. This time sew two stapled pieces of the New Year's decoration around the perimeter, two millimeters from the edges of the fabric stars. Trim the edges of the resulting decoration so that they look neat.
The decoration is ready. You can make paper and fabric crafts that you like. I used neutral colors with gold accents to create a simple and romantic style.
How easy it is to make stars out of skewers and twigs
- wooden skewers or real twigs;
- decorative tape.
Continuing the star theme, I made some star decorations from halves of wooden skewers, glued together at the ends with decorative tape. The star that adorns the top of the Christmas tree was made in the same way, but from whole skewers.
You can also make stars out of twigs. But the weather in the Netherlands, where I live, was such that this idea had to be abandoned. Stars made of skewers look no worse and more modern.
Illustration: I told you how to make paper crafts - with homemade Christmas tree decorations, the New Year will be even more interesting and fun
for the Christmas tree - decorated gift bags
Make your Christmas tree special by hanging a few gift bags for each family member. It's very simple!
Materials and tools:
- decorative tape;
- gift bags and tags of any color;
Step 1. Apply alternating strips of different types of tape from bottom to top on the bags. In this case, it is better to tear off the tape, and not cut it off, in order to get beautiful torn edges.
Step 2. Wrap and tape the ends of the tape around the fold of the bag so you can trim them neatly. Otherwise, they will stick to the edges of the package.
Step 3. Attach a name tag (may be made from colored cardboard or heavy sheets of paper) to one of the handles of the bag with a piece of twine that can be easily made into a bow with a pin. Now you can put some nice little thing in the bag as a gift and hang it on the Christmas tree.
Wherever you are, from my home in the Netherlands I wish you a Merry Christmas! May the new year 2022 bring you good luck. Spend the holidays with those you love - in warmth and joy, and of course, near a smart Christmas tree!
RELATED. . .
DIY Christmas decorations — 20 ideas
Do you decorate your Christmas tree with homemade paper Christmas toys? And just homemade Christmas toys? Share photos of your toys, paper snowflakes and interesting crafts in the comment section!
How to decorate the Christmas tree in 2022 Tiger: 76 New Year's ideas
New Year's mood really comes when a coniferous beauty appears in the house and it's time to dress her up. Every time you want to do it in a special way. In the article we tell you how to decorate a Christmas tree in 2022: from classic options to fresh trends. And, of course, we share ideas on how to please the symbol of the coming year.
The video gave tips on decorating the Christmas tree
Trendy Christmas tree decoration ideas
Which spruce to choose
Symbol of 2022
— Forms, materials
Let's start with simple tips that will tell you how to properly decorate a Christmas tree in 2022.
- Match the size of the room and the Christmas plant. In a small room, a huge spruce will create a feeling of crowding, and a small tree in a pot in a large area will not look spectacular.
- Consider also the color scheme: it should in general terms overlap with the palette of the room, or at least not contradict it.
- The decoration of the Christmas tree for the New Year should be combined with the overall style of the room. A modest Christmas tree with discreet Scandinavian decor will be lost in a lush classic living room. And vice versa: a richly decorated tree in a modern minimalist interior will look strange and out of place.
- You can place the tree anywhere in the room. The main thing is that there is enough space around for passage, otherwise the household will constantly touch the branches, which is not only bad for the plant, but also increases the risk of falling toys. Also, do not put the tree close to the battery - it will dry out quickly. Scheme for Feng Shui fans: the center of the room is its energy core, which is responsible for health and vitality. The far left corner will provide financial well-being, the left neighbor will give new acquaintances. In the right corner is a zone of privacy and harmony.
- If there are children and animals in the house, make sure that they do not tip over the spruce and do not accidentally break the glass decor. If possible, use unbreakable toys for decoration.
- It is better to start the decoration process with a garland, then move on to toys. First, large items are hung - the lower and middle parts are suitable for them. Then, above, small toys are placed, the top can be decorated with a star or a bow.
photos Instagram @projection_design
5 plants that can decorate the house for the New Year (except for the Christmas tree)
In this paragraph, we will not touch on the choice between a living and artificial tree - this is always an individual decision. Consider what shape, size and color the main character of the holiday can be.
Elongated A-line is the classic form of the Christmas tree. The broad lower paws become progressively smaller and eventually narrow upwards. This form is inherent in living plants, so it is most often imitated by artificial counterparts.
This option is quite compact, looks stylish, suitable for any standard apartment or studio, including a small one.
When You Don't Have Time to Decorate Your Home: 7 Very Quick Ways to Get in the Holiday Mood
If space allows, you can choose the opposite of the first form - spreading spruce with large fluffy legs. Usually, in this case, a living tree is chosen, which is characterized by natural asymmetry.
This shape is for large spaces, it is best to put the tree in the center of the room, decorate it abundantly and put presents around in a beautiful package.
Where to put a Christmas tree in the house: 13 visual ideas
If there is very little space in the apartment or you do not want to bother with a large tree, you can replace it with a small coniferous plant in a pot or - if it is artificial - on a stand. This solution has several significant advantages: saving space; costs less than full-size counterparts; mobility - decoration can be placed anywhere and moved at any time; less decor required; no laborious cleanup required afterwards.6
You can add small ribbons or bows, mini bells. It is worth beating the bottom of the plant: it can be a beautiful planter, a metal bucket, a wide vase or a wicker basket.
Most often, a mini tree is placed on a table, window sill, dresser or fireplace. So that it does not look lonely there, it is worth supplementing the composition with other New Year's elements. You can put candles nearby (watch out for safety!), compact gifts, figurines of Santa Claus, a snowman, animals and birds, as well as any other themed decor.
How to fit a mini Christmas tree into the interior: 7 amazing ideas for owners of small apartments
If you use an artificial tree, you can experiment not only with the shape, but also with the color. Now white spruces are especially popular, which already decorate the interior by themselves and look really fabulous. They will fit into any environment, regardless of the style and size of the room, and will immediately attract the eye.
How to decorate a white Christmas tree
- Decide whether you want to use a light base as a backdrop for bright accents or keep the whole palette discreet. In the first case, use multi-colored contrasting balls of the same shape. In the second, it is better to choose 1-2 colors and their shades - this way you get an interesting monochrome.
- If the focus is not on colors, you can experiment with shapes and types of jewelry. Let them all be, for example, creamy golden, but differ in silhouette and size, textures.
- Depending on the general palette and shade of artificial needles, the light in the garland can be cold or warm white. A cold tone will create an atmosphere of a fairytale forest, and a warm one, especially in combination with candles and subdued lighting in the room, will add coziness.
- Golden and silver, blue, beige, blue, red and black balls look good against the background of white twigs. Whites will be lost if you do not dilute them with other shades and textures. So that the composition does not look clumsy, choose 2-3 colors, no more.
How to decorate your house for the New Year 2022: stylish ideas for rooms and yard
Despite the fact that, according to the Eastern calendar, the Tiger will come to us only in February, you need to meet him in advance. The patron of the coming year is unusual - the Black (or Blue) Water Tiger. This name alone says a lot, and you should build on it when thinking about what colors to decorate the Christmas tree in 2022 and what materials to choose.
The Water Tiger does not like bright, aggressive colors, so it is better to refuse scarlet, burgundy, bright yellow and deep purple. And here's what you can use.
- Black, white, grey.
- Beige and gold tones.
- Silver, bronze, copper.
- All shades of blue and blue.
- Green, turquoise, mint.
You can use red, but choose soft, preferably matte textures and muted shades of color.
How and where to hang a garland at home for the New Year
Forms and materials
Since the Tiger this year is not simple, but Watery, give preference to light, flowing lines. Suitable long garlands wrapped around the trunk and branches, rain, elongated toys. The composition should flow from top to bottom in a spiral, like the flow of water in a river.
The Tiger will also like jewelry made from natural materials and with a slight sheen of precious metals: silver, white and yellow gold. It is better to use 2-3 textures in the decor, because there should be no fussiness and excessive variegation.
Going green is a trend that will only gain momentum in the coming years. This style is characterized by the use of natural materials and the rejection of plastic. For inspiration, interior designers take nature, its colors, textures and silhouettes. Here's how to beautifully decorate a Christmas tree in an eco-style.
- Decor made from natural materials - wood, clay, paper, fabric, rattan, straw, bamboo, etc.
- Cones, coffee beans, acorns, dried fruits, cinnamon sticks as accessories.
- DIY decorations - you can make stars, snowflakes, houses, simple lanterns with your own hands.
- We refuse plastic balls, rain, beads.
- Kraft paper (best recycled) for gift boxes.
6 anti-trends in Christmas tree decor and home decoration for the New Year
Unlike eco-style, Scandi is not a new trend, but an already established classic. The philosophy of Nordic design has taken root in our latitudes, and New Year's decor in this style is also very popular.
To decorate the Christmas beauty, it is better to use natural or at least environmentally friendly materials. The decor should be restrained, the color scheme should be calm, a small amount of bright accents is acceptable. The obligatory elements of Christmas Scandi can be described as follows.
- Images or figurines of reindeer.
- Wooden and fabric decorations.
- Forest birds and animals.
- Elements of wildlife - cones, chestnuts, twigs.
- Toys or garland in the form of candles.
As in the design of the space, textures and natural colors come to the fore. The Christmas tree is beautiful in itself, so it does not need excessive decoration. Refuse bright rain, complex-shaped decorations and iridescent large balls.
Simple accessories in monochrome or restrained natural tones will do. You can add balls with toys made of paper or wood, as well as a garland with one-color light bulbs. In the gallery there are photos of minimalistically decorated Christmas trees for inspiration.6
No rain: 9Christmas decor ideas that minimalists will love
If warm nostalgia is more your thing, then retro style remains in trend.