How to make a tree house youtube
Suspension bridge through the tree tops could attract more visitors to an MSU hidden gem
There’s a hidden gem of nature in Michigan and people drive right past it without realizing what it is.
Hidden Lake Gardens is in Lenawee County about ten miles west of the small town of Tecumseh. The director of the gardens says this place has been around as far back as 1926, but not that many people are aware of it.
Michigan RadioA lot of people speed right past the entrance to Hidden Lake Gardens on M 50 not realizing what it is.
“I guess we wear our Hidden Lake name very well,” joked Paul Pfeifer, director of the gardens.
He says people who do finally visit the site -which is owned by Michigan State University- tell him they didn’t think it was open to the public.
“They think we’re something that we’re not. So, thought we were a retirement community, folks that thought we were a golf course. Some thought they were not open to the public research facility. So we do hear a lot of 'didn't know you guys were even here.'”
MSU’s Hidden Lake Gardens amounts to 750 acres of gardens and woodlands, including several acres of rare conifers, a conservatory, and more. It’s in the Irish Hills area so there’s some really interesting topography thanks to the glaciers more than ten thousand years ago.
Chuck Gross drives by Hidden Lake Gardens on M-50 each day on his way to work. It really bugs him that more people don’t know about it.
Many of those who do visit, just drive around the six miles of roads through the forest and gardens. They don’t even get out of their cars to explore the 12 miles of hiking trails.
Michigan RadioChuck Gross suggested Hidden Lake Gardens needed something to attract more visitors. MSU agreed and asked him to raise the money for it.
He had an idea. What if Hidden Lake Gardens built an attraction? Something where you had to hike a bit to get to it.
He cold-called Pfeifer. They met and talked about what that attraction might be. Then, Pfeifer took an idea to Michigan State University. When the university got back to them, Chuck Gross says at first it was great news.
“Basically, then, they said, ‘Well, it sounds like a great idea. You guys just need to raise the money for it.’”
Uh… that’s not a job Gross was expecting.
“I thought if they did embrace the idea, they'd say, ‘Hey, we got this one. We'll let you know when we're done and you can come visit like everybody else,” he said.
Instead he and Pfeifer started raising money, enough to get a suspension bridge built through the tree tops.
Michigan RadioNathan Blank adjusts the cables to make the suspension bridge platform level.
You need some experts to pull off something like that. That’s how Robbie Oates got involved. He’s with Phoenix Experiential Designs. He’s built a lot of these canopy suspension bridges in the U.S. and around the globe.
When you’re on the bridge, it really is like walking through the tree tops.
“What we really wanted to do is get out there and see those trees or that bird sitting perched in that limb right over there, that kind of thing,” he explained.
He says building these canopy walks makes him feel a little like a Dr. Seuss character.
“Sometimes I feel like The Lorax,” he said.
In the book, the Lorax said, “I speak for the trees.”
“You know, that I get to -not speak for the trees- but guide people to the trees and a canopy walkway is a really good way to do that,” Oates explained.
Oates says there was a perfect site at Hidden Lake Gardens. There’s this sort of bowl-shaped valley. It’s called a kettle hole, a deep depression caused by a chunk of glacier falling off. The 700 foot bridge spans that ‘kettle hole’ valley.
Michigan RadioPaul Pfeifer is the Director of MSU's Hidden Lake Gardens. He said many people drive by the gardens thinking it's a retirement community or a golf course instead of what it actually is: 750 acres of forest and gardens.
When I visited during construction, the side cables and netting weren’t in place yet. That means it could be a shear drop if I slipped off the edge. So, Robbie’s son Austin (who is now the boss as Robbie nears retirement) put me in a safety harness so I could walk out and take a look around. I watched as another worker, Nathan Blank, adjusted the bridge cables to make the walkway level.
The platform of the bridge is a fiberglass grid, so you can see right through it. The bottom of the kettle hole is about 60 feet below your feet.
As Robbie Oates said, you really get the sense of the height and the topography when you look down.
He says adventure junkies like himself will love it.
The height and the slight movement of the bridge will be a challenge for other people. But there’s a sturdy classroom at bridge level. There’s plenty of room to view things from there if you’re not crazy about the idea of going out on the suspension bridge.
Patti Vanooyen has been visiting Hidden Lake Gardens since her parents took here there in the late 1950s. She was hiking the trails with her son, Jeff Hephner. They stopped to see how the suspension bridge construction was coming along.
I asked what they thought of building something like this in the middle of the woods.
Michigan RadioJeff Hephner and his mother Patti Vanooyen often hike the trails at Hidden Lake Gardens. They both enthusiastic about the suspension bridge and hope it draws more people.
“I think that it was genius to be honest with you, because more people will come once they see. It's like a big, big tree house for us,” Vanooyen said.
“Like this part of it literally launching you into the canopy. And I think that's what is going to make it so special,” Hephner noted.
Vanooyen smiled and added, “I know they're going to be ooh-ing and ahh-ing, I'm telling you.”
Construction on the canopy walk is not quite finished. Long ramps had to be built and the trail to the site needs some improvement so that people with different physical capabilities will be able enjoy the view.
The Hidden Lake Gardens’ Paul Pfeifer said the plan is to have a big opening in the spring. He’s hopeful a lot more people will discover the gardens and its forests.
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (22 Oct 2022)109 views
Join in on this week's 24-hour Saturday Sourcing Sprint!
It's basically a casual mini Source-a-Thon.
When it's Saturday where you are, get sourcing!
(And quit when it's Sunday)
Anytime you want to compete for the Weekly Winners badge, click the "Answer this post" button at the bottom of this post, We use the Challenge Tracker to record the profiles we source.
Tell us about your successes, discrepancies, stories that tug at your heartstrings, and new amazing sources. We use the Discord channel #saturday-sourcing-sprint for text chat in real-time if you'd like to join us. It will be as quiet or busy as we make it.
- All profiles improved must come from the Unsourced categories or be already present on WikiTree and only have links to other profiles, links to search results from another genealogy website, or the words "Ancestry tree," "Geni.com," "Pedigree Resource Files" from FamilySearch, and the like. Do not delete these items as they can provide clues for other researchers.
- If you cannot find any sources, create a Research Notes section, list where you tried to find records, and add a signature to the end of your note using four tildes as a date stamp (you won't see it until you save). Do not remove the Unsourced Template and do not use the tracker or count in your tally. Example:
- "Looked for John in the US Census records for 1900-1940 and couldn't find him on FamilySearch or Ancestry"
- Sources citations need to provide a way for anyone to find the source. We strive for the Evidence Explained format to tell where, what, who, and when, as well as where the was source was found. Do not delete existing items in the Sources area as they can provide clues for other researchers.
- Examples of citations can be found on the Citation Example page where past Weekly Tips are archived.
- If you add a source that names other family members, check to see if their profiles exist.
- If not, use the Category search box to find and select a category in the format "Location, Needs Profiles Created" to aid in profile creation
- If so and there are no sources, add the source. Use the tracker to count that profile too
See the Sprint Help Page for full details.
When you save the profile, a green bar for the Challenge Tracker will appear at the top. Due to the security changes for the implementation of GDPR regulations, unlisted profiles are not eligible for challenge tracking.
For all others, click the Challenge Tracker button, add or verify your WikiTreeID, select a pre-defined comment or add your own to indicate which type(s) of source(s) you added, put a checkmark in the "Saturday Sourcing Sprint" box, and click "Add Action." If you participate in the Monthly Sourcerers' Challenge you can click both boxes. For visual learners, this YouTube video starting at about the 4.30-minute mark will explain how to use the tracker (earlier parts of the video explain how to find sources and add citations to profiles).
You can track your progress on the Challenge Tracker report. Only use the Challenge Tracker if it is between 12 am to 12 midnight on Saturday in your time zone when you are adding sources.
Don't forget to remove the Unsourced template if you are able to add a source!
Thank you, Elaine! May your sources be plentiful.
Thank you, Roger! May your sources be fruitful.
Thank you, David! Plant a source and WikiTree will flower!
Hi Wendy, please count me in for a few. Thanks!answered ago by Carol Baldwin G2G6 Pilot (689k points)
Thank you, Carol! What a difference a source makes!
Thank you, Gina! Let the sourcing commence!
Well, here I am again. Gonna have a fine sourcing Saturday. Yeehaw!answered ago by Luther Brown G2G6 Pilot (275k points)
Thank you, Luther! Back in the sources again!
Count me in, please!answered ago by Nicole Adams G2G6 Mach 1 (11. 3k points)
Thank you, Nicole! Let the sourcing commence!
add me to thisanswered ago by Fiona Lee G2G4 (5.0k points)
Welcome, Fiona! Every source helps!
In for a few : )answered ago by Jesse Beamon G2G6 Mach 2 (20.1k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (22 January 2022)
asked Jan 21 in The Tree House by Debi Hoag G2G6 Pilot (342k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (22 May 2021)
asked May 21, 2021 in The Tree House by Alex Stronach G2G6 Pilot (335k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (22 Aug 2020)
asked Aug 21, 2020 in The Tree House by Alex Stronach G2G6 Pilot (335k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (22 Feb 2020)
asked Feb 21, 2020 in The Tree House by Alex Stronach G2G6 Pilot (335k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint! (22 June 2019)
asked Jun 21, 2019 in The Tree House by Debi Hoag G2G6 Pilot (342k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (22 December 2018)
asked Dec 22, 2018 in The Tree House by Debi Hoag G2G6 Pilot (342k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint! (22 Sept 2018)
asked Sep 21, 2018 in The Tree House by Debi Hoag G2G6 Pilot (342k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (30 Oct 2021)
asked Oct 29, 2021 in The Tree House by Alex Stronach G2G6 Pilot (335k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (31 Oct 2020)
asked Oct 30, 2020 in The Tree House by Alex Stronach G2G6 Pilot (335k points)
Saturday Sourcing Sprint (24 Oct 2020)
asked Oct 23, 2020 in The Tree House by Alex Stronach G2G6 Pilot (335k points)
how to build, drawings, photos, videos
Probably, there is not a single child in the world who would not like to have their own house, located on the branches of trees. This is not just a place for games - it is a small world with its own laws, rules, traditions. If there are several tall, strong trees in the summer cottage, you can come up with a simple project and bring it to life, to the delight of children, and adults too. It remains to figure out how to build a tree house with your own hands.
1 Tree structure options
2 Preparing for upcoming work
3 Ways to build a treehouse
3.1 Frame structure on supports
3.2 Arrangement of a platform on branches
4 DIY Instruction Videos
There are a lot of options for building tree houses. They are built both for exciting children's games, and for solitude with a book under a spreading crown in the summer heat.
There are absolutely no restrictions in style and purpose. It can be an inaccessible tower of a beauty, a disguised outpost, an ogre's castle or a spaceship.
- Watch tower
- The dwelling of the forest goblin
- summer vacation house
- Shed roof gazebo
- Dollhouse styling
- Traditional dwelling of the Papuans
- In the form of a wagon
- multi-storey castle
- hunting hut
Architecturally, everything is much more modest. There are three popular, proven types of structures, these are:
- Platform construction. Powerful branches or the trunk itself act as a bearing element, on which the details of the lower floor are fixed with self-tapping anchors. If necessary, the platform is reinforced with oblique beams resting against a tree.
- Frame house on stilts. In fact, this is an independent building, the floor and roof of which is only crossed by one or more trunks. The building itself is not supported by a tree, therefore, it does not interfere with life and growth. Such a house is installed on piles, the size of which is determined depending on the upcoming load.
- Hanging platform. Suspended from branches capable of withstanding using ropes, cables or chains. The easiest, but not very reliable and safe method of organization, especially when it comes to a play area for children.
The first and third architectural types directly depend on the bearing capacity of the trunk, the size of its branches and the root system. After all, the tree will have to perform the function of a foundation: to steadfastly hold the load not only of the structure itself, but also of visitors. It is believed that a trunk with a thickness of at least 30 cm in diameter, preferably more, will be able to cope with this difficult work.
Oak is rightfully recognized as the optimal species for building a house. Beech, maple and large spruces follow it in the ranking of suitable trees. Before you design a structure and plan actions, you need to carefully inspect the object to be used for the presence of parasites and diseases. If negative signs are identified, the idea will have to be abandoned.
Three basic tree house designs are used as the basis for developing your own building design
For the construction of the second constructive variety, using only the crown for masking or decoration, the bearing capacity of the tree is absolutely unimportant. A completely young representative of the world of fauna will do, who will eventually hide the intelligence headquarters or the alien ship in its lush greenery. Almost all deciduous, coniferous and even garden species are suitable.
We admit that not all domestic estates have a suitable tree for building a house. However, suppose that it was your parents who bypassed the love of gardening. That the selfless and undivided passion for cultivating every centimeter in our latitudes did not force them to uproot such an incomparable object.
Before you start designing and choosing the best way to make a house on a tree growing within the plot, you should evaluate the real situation. You need to find out if there are any local ordinances prohibiting the construction of such structures. In some situations, for such buildings it is necessary to obtain permits.
If the tree is located next to a neighbor's plot, you should definitely talk to its owners. It is possible that the design will obscure their favorite flower garden, spoil the view from the window, or the frolicking children will cause unnecessary concern to the elderly. In any case, you should discuss the upcoming construction site with your neighbors in order to maintain friendly relations.
When designing a tree house, it should be taken into account that it is unsafe to place it at a height of more than 2.5 m (1). If the trunk or branches are able to become a reliable support (2), they can be used as the basis for the construction of the first type of house. The tree must have a strong enough root system (3)
Let's assume that we have no obstacles for building a treehouse. So, we can safely do independent design, for which you need:
- Select the safest bottom floor height. It is believed that for children's games a treehouse should not be located above 1.5 m. If a gazebo is planned, then the height limit can be moved by 2 - 2.5 m. her.
- Calculate the optimal area of the lower floor or platform, considering that the projection from the building located on the tree must be completely on your site.
- Decide on the design of the house. Decide whether it will be a platform with perimeter fences and a canopy, a hut-type structure or a small frame house.
- Consider the possibility of an accidental fall. It is desirable that the ground around the structure is not compacted. Concrete sites are completely excluded, the proximity of paved paths is not recommended.
- Consider the most convenient and safe type of stairs for moving house visitors up/down.
If desired, and if there are structural prerequisites, it would be good to think over the options for exploiting the area under the structure. It does not hurt to arrange a shed there for storing utensils and items that will need to be removed from the rain.
When designing a structure, it is necessary to consider safety criteria, provide for the best way to move and the possibility of using the space under the house
As a hint to home craftsmen, we will analyze the two most popular methods for building a treehouse. They can be copied in whole or in part, or you can develop your own method of construction based on the examples given.
Frame structure on supports
This is the most humane type of structure, which in principle can be built just next to a tree or without it at all. It is a small frame structure mounted on piles. The roof is formed by hanging trusses, fastened at the top with metal plates. Movement is provided by a fixed ladder installed at an angle of 45º.
The presented version of the house does not rely on the trunk and branches. In order for them to cross the floor and roof, you just need to make holes in the ceilings (+)
A bar 105×105 mm was used to make the frame. For the device of the pile foundation, it would not be superfluous to slightly increase the size of the material, it is permissible to slightly reduce it on the wall racks. For wall cladding, it is better to purchase lining, but plywood is also suitable, it is recommended to buy a grooved board 150 × 50 mm for the floor, and a 100 × 25 mm edged board for the rafters.
You can build a house for a squirrel from the remains of a cut board. Read about it: https://diz-cafe.com/postroiki/domik-dlya-belki-svoimi-rukami.html
If there are no carpentry skills, then it is better to buy metal corners and plates to connect the frame parts. Do the same with the boxes in the door and window opening, although you can make them yourself if you wish.
In the construction of a house, it is easier to use a tried and tested option and calculated dimensions. You can develop your own project based on the example (+)
The roof in the example is made of flexible tiles, under which a continuous crate of plywood or a board laid with a gap of 3 mm is arranged. You will also need cement or a ready-made cement mortar from a plant specializing in its manufacture, anchors and thrust bearings for attaching piles.
Frame parts are easier to connect with metal corners. As an alternative, a half-tree cut is used. When choosing the second option, it should be taken into account in the calculation of the length of the elements (+)
In the example, an asymmetric hanging type truss system. The rafter legs at the top rest against each other, are connected using a toothed metal plate. The lower connection node with the frame strapping is formed by a notch, additionally fixed with nails (+)
Stages of building a base for a house:
- We mark the site according to the size of the house. We mark the corners of the structure with pegs, connect them with twine. We measure the diagonals of the marked outline, they should be equal.
- At the places of installation of piles, we form pits with a depth of about 50 - 60 cm. The length of the sides of the pits is 30 - 40 cm. The smaller its area, the less mortar will go, but the more - the more reliable the foundation for the pile will be. Recesses for pouring the solution can be made using a garden drill.
- We tamp the bottom of the pits, after wetting the low-moisture sand to increase the density. If the bottom is composed of loam, or wet sand, it is not necessary to moisten.
- Creating a pillow for the pile foundation. At the bottom of each pit we pour 10 cm of crushed stone and 10 cm of sand. We ram again.
- Pour cement mortar into one of the pits to approximately half of the space remaining after backfilling the pillow.
- We install pieces of metal masonry mesh with a cell up to 25 × 25 × 2 mm over the pouring. We fasten it with pins or wire directly into the soil wall of the pit. The main thing is that the grid does not move to the bottom, but remains approximately in the middle of the support being arranged.
- Fill the remaining space in the pit with mortar.
- Similarly, we arrange concrete foundations for all piles.
While pouring the second part of the mortar, install a dowel for the thrust bearing under the pile. If you do not put it right away, then you will have to drill a hole in the concrete stone. We take into account that no more than 45 minutes should elapse between filling the first and second half of the pit, otherwise the support will not be monolithic.
- Pit device
- Pouring solution
- Installation of a metal thrust bearing
Immediately after pouring with a building level, we check that the surface of the poured supports is at the same height. Otherwise, it will be necessary to align the thrust bearings, and put wood chips or cutting boards under them.
It takes time for the supports to harden. According to the rules for pouring foundations for residential buildings, the following work should be started after 28 days. For this period, they should be covered with polyethylene, which must be periodically removed to ventilate the supports.
- Installation of supports in thrust bearings
- Fastening corners to racks
- Installation of frame beams
- Top trim attachment
- Strap connection
- Window frame installation
- Making a rafter template
- Fastening rafters to the strapping
- Board floor boarding
- Wall frame assembly
- Fixing elements with corners
- Frame wall cladding
- Roof framing device
- The board is laid with a gap of up to 3 mm
- Roofing installation
Next, the frame is built:
- With the help of thrust bearings, we install piles, the upper part of which plays the role of supporting frame racks.
- We build the lower and upper harness of the house. We connect the strapping details to the racks using metal corners.
- We put window and door frames, if they are in the project.
- We mark the middle of the end of the house in order to try on the roof rafters. Strictly vertically we nail the rail in this place.
- We apply one board to the left and right sides of the conditional roof end, mark on them the line of the upper cut and the outline of the lower cut used for installation on the harness.
- According to these templates, we prepare the required number of long and short rafter legs.
- We connect the rafters with a metal plate on the ground and transport them upstairs in finished form. We strengthen the lower knot in the cutting area with nails or corners.
Now the finished frame must be sheathed as planned: lay the floor, sheathe the walls, lay the sheathing and roofing. During sheathing, we select holes for the tree trunk where it passes through the floor and roof. We form a hole with a gap along the perimeter of the trunk of 7 - 10 cm for free movement during growth and in case of swaying in a strong wind.
The principle of the fence, window frame and shutter is shown in the diagrams with dimensions (+)
4-point fixed ladder for children's house is the safest option. However, for a device of this design, it is necessary to pour concrete supports to support the lower points (+)
From below, around the hole, we nail the cuttings of the board to strengthen the floor and prevent the material from tearing off. At the end, we install the appropriate canvases in the window and door frames, construct and fix the stairs.
Holes are formed in the lower ceiling of the house and the roof for the tree trunk so that there is a gap between the tree and the structure (+)
Arrangement of a platform on branches
If the trunk has a V-shaped fork, it may well become a support base for the lower ceiling of the house. True, the tree will have to be drilled, which is not very pleasant for him. In addition, the fixing points must be made in such a way that when the size of the tree changes and when it sways from the wind, it cannot damage the structure.
Before you start building such a treehouse design, you need to try it on. It is needed to select the optimal position of the floor beams. This is best done with cutting boards, the length of which will be approximately 50 cm longer than the distance between the branches. To perform fitting and marking for the described option, you will need a reliable ladder and a similar assistant.
- Branch house
- Suitable only for powerful trunks
- View of the site from below
Having placed the board strictly horizontally, it is necessary to mark the attachment points on the branches and on the board. To find them, a board must be pivotally attached to one of the branches with a nail. By turning the board, slightly shifting its second edge up / down, you should find a horizontal position. Horizontal control should be carried out with a building level, setting it on the edge of the board being tried on.
The fitting phase is extremely important because in the future, to correct distortions, it will be necessary to drill a new hole in the wood, which will weaken both the trunk and the attachment point.
As in the previous case, it is necessary to think over the safety aspects in advance and choose the best type of stairs for movement
A piece of board will become a template for marking the distance between branches on a 100x150 mm beam to be attached to a tree. The holes are naturally marked in the center of the workpiece on the wide side. This is how the floor guide beam is formed. The distance on the opposite side should be determined in the same way and in exactly the same way it will be necessary to make the second beam.
The holes for fastening the beams to the tree must be longitudinal and clearly aligned to the horizon. To do this, from the point marked on the material, lay 5 cm to the right and left sides. Then, with a 12 mm drill, the initial holes are selected along the edges, and the excess between them is removed with a jigsaw. The longitudinal hole will allow the branches to move without destroying the structure installed on them.
The holes for fastening the beams to the trunk must be made in the form of an elongated slot so that the tree does not damage the structure when swinging from the wind
Next, we start building a house according to the following algorithm:
- We fasten the guide beams to the branches through the formed holes, installing wood screws Ø 12 mm approximately in their middle. Fastener length 200 mm. A washer must be installed between the beam and the screw.
- Checking the horizontal position of the fixed beams.
- We mount on top of them in the transverse direction the beams of the lower floor from a beam of 50 × 100 mm. We first install the two extreme ones, then the intermediate ones. The distance between the intermediate beams must be equal. We fix to the guide screws 80 mm.
- From the end of the installed transverse beams we fasten a beam of the same size.
- Nodal connections are reinforced with metal corners and plates.
- We strengthen the position of the platform with two oblique beams 50×100 mm, the upper edge of which rests against the formed platform, the lower one is nailed to the tree. Fastening to the site is carried out with corners, to the tree with 100 mm screws.
- We lay the floor with a board 50 × 150 mm. We rally the grooved board and nail it after 4 - 5 pieces to the floor beams. It is permissible to lay a non-grooved board with gaps of 2 - 3 mm, each element must be fastened with two screws or nails.
- Along the perimeter of the platform we build a fence from a vertically installed board or bar with a distance between the elements of about 10 cm. In the corners of the platform, the bars of adjacent sides are installed close to each other. The length of the railing elements is at least 90 cm, so that the total height with railings is about 80 cm.
- Lay a block on top of the railing to form the railing. The bar is attached with corners to these peculiar balusters.
Site ready. In order to get there, you will need a ladder, the type of which is selected for safety reasons. If children will be the host in the house, it is better to build a durable version on stringers or bowstrings with at least one-sided railings. If a ladder is to be used, its beams should be sharpened from below and deepened into the ground to fix the position.
- Drilling holes for fasteners
- Installation of floor beams
- Installation of beams from the end of the floor
- The principle of connecting elements
- Fasteners for end beams with corners
- Strengthening the platform with jibs
- Forming a hole for the trunk
- Fixing floor boards
- Stages of floor boarding
- Installation of fence posts
- Installation of railings
- Metal mesh attachment
- Construction and installation of stairs
- Arrangement of an awning instead of a roof
- The simplest roof option
The design of the top of the platform can be varied. A folding or stationary structure in the form of a hut or a gable roof is suitable. The construction of a treehouse can be continued using frame technology or an awning can be placed there, stretched over racks located at the corners.
Budget method of building a summer base on a tree:
American builders experience in building treehouses:
The options for building a treehouse that we proposed are most often used by independent craftsmen. With the construction according to the described schemes there will be no slightest problems. But the result will be appreciated by adult households and the younger generation.
- Author: yanana11
Rate this article:
(24 votes, average: 4. 2 out of 5)
Share with friends!
ideas and implementation of the best projects for children (105 photos)
With the modern pace of life in the bustle of the city, people have almost no time to rest. To make the weekend in the countryside unusual and memorable, pay attention to the treehouse. Such a structure will help to get closer to nature, and the children will be delighted.
In addition, the tree house is a chic element of the landscape. Even viewing photos of treehouses gives a fabulous feeling, not to mention spending time in it.
You can buy a ready-made house or build it yourself. When choosing any version of the house, you need to know some important points, thanks to which you will be able to get a solid, reliable and safe structure.
Brief content of the article:
Where to place the house
The choice of the frame tree is a determining factor. It depends on how durable and strong the structure will be.
The best options are oak, maple or fir. At the same time, it is important that the tree is not too old or, on the contrary, not strong. Serious damage to the bark, cracks, pests and dry branches should be absent. The presence of thick horizontally arranged branches will contribute to the reliable fixing of the house.
It is not recommended to place the structure on poplar or willow (they have weak roots), as well as on linden, which has viscous wood, which will prevent strong fixation.
The house can be made of plastic, wood, branches or plywood. Each material has its own specifics, which determine the methods of working with it.
Modern plastic. Such houses are not placed directly on the tree. Finished plastic parts are assembled and mounted on a sturdy platform with a ladder.
Lightweight, hygienic and available in a wide range of colours. The house is easily disassembled and removed for storage for the winter. You can easily choose the right model by looking at the photos of the finished houses.
Wood is an environmentally friendly and durable material. From it you can build a full-fledged tree house, in which even adults can relax. A building resembling a real dwelling can be provided with heating and lighting.
Branches are used to build a hut. This option does not require special expenses, but is not suitable for games in rainy weather.
IDEA! From a branch frame, you can create a creative "green house". To do this, you need to install a grid on the tree - the base and pick up greenery that will braid the roof and walls.
Plywood is a budget and affordable option. Therefore, it is most often chosen for building a house with your own hands.
Methods for installing and fixing the children's house are varied and depend on the material of the structure, its style, as well as the type of wood on which it will be located.
Piles. Such a construction is generally independent, it does not rely directly on the tree trunk. Therefore, the structure can be located near an apple or linden tree. The floor or roof of the house only intersects with trees. In this case, piles serve as a support - pillars, the size of which is determined in proportion to the parameters of the future structure.
Platform. The basis of the structure is the trunk or thick branches that can withstand the load. The floor of the house is attached to the branches or trunk with self-tapping anchors. For additional stability, the platform is reinforced with beams. This option is great for plastic prefabricated houses.
Hanging platform. The method is simple, but does not provide absolute safety for children playing in the house. The structure is fixed on the tree with cables or chains, which can sway when the child moves.
Stages of building a tree house
Having decided on the type, material and type of structure, as well as choosing a suitable site with a tree, you can start building. It will be about how to make a house.
Drafting is the first priority. It is necessary to take into account all the details, consult with the child - the owner of the future home and find out how he would like to see his playhouse. When designing, you need to accurately calculate the dimensions of the floor, ceiling, walls, windows. The ideal option is to make a layout.
Wood preparation. Thin lower branches are removed with secateurs. The crown must be cleaned of dried branches, which can later break off and fall onto the roof of the house. In this case, you need to act carefully, trying not to damage the trunk and main branches.
Installing the base. Depending on the type of fastening of the structure chosen, the types of work will vary.
When building a house on piles, they first dig holes in the ground of at least 60 cm. Then they make a “pillow” of crushed stone and sand, after which they install pillars in the holes and fill them with cement.
When choosing a platform as the basis, the beam is screwed with both ends to the posts, and in the middle - to the trunk itself. Such an operation is carried out on both sides, while the bars must be located strictly horizontally. Then other bars are superimposed perpendicularly from above and fixed with bolts on metal plates.
Suspended platform attached to the supporting branches with chains or strong cables, which are pre-attached to the finished base.
Floor laying. The boards cut in accordance with the required dimensions are laid on the frame, leaving gaps of a couple of centimeters. Gaps are necessary for the outflow of rainwater. Boards are fastened with nails or screws. The finished floor should not creak and sway when moving on it.
Wall installation. First you need to make a frame from a bar. To do this, one beam is installed in each corner of the base, and then along the entire perimeter at a distance of 30 - 50 cm. Then the boards are fixed on the frame. Depending on the tastes of the owner of the house, the walls can be made solid or in the form of a lattice. You also need openings - windows.
Roof assembly. The best option is a canopy. It can be tarpaulin (then hooks are screwed to the branches above the house, through which the cord is extended, and a canvas of tarpaulin is thrown onto the cord), or plank (in this case, truss systems are built).
The ladder is selected according to the age of the owner of the house and his preferences. The rope ladder is suitable for adults and school-age children, it is better not to use it for kids.
There is a classic version: from timber and crossbeams. It is possible to build a staircase in the form of a shield with slots. The main thing is that it is comfortable and safe.
7 original treehouse ideas
Play. It will become a favorite house for children if you provide it with a slide that goes into the pool or sandbox. It is important that such a descent is safe, and the landing is soft.
Asian. By analogy with an Asian dwelling, you can create a two-story structure with a thatched roof. The view from the terrace of a high-rise house will be amazing. 3. Eco-friendly. A creative eco-house in the shape of an onion, located right on the trunk, will not leave anyone indifferent. And the tunnel leading through the forest will give you the feeling of a fairy tale.
Mirror. An incredible cube on a glass tree looks fantastic. This house was created for tourists in Sweden.
Miracle tower. The largest tree house is in Scotland. Inside there is a restaurant with 120 seats. Such a tower is very popular.
Futuristic. The flying saucer-shaped aluminum plate house was built in Sweden and plays the role of a guest house where travelers can relax in bright, heated rooms, take a shower and cook breakfast in the mini-kitchen.