How to make balloon topiary trees
Easy Balloon Topiaries – DustandDoghair
On By Em D In Holidays, Uncategorized
Need some easy peasy party decorations?
Give me 15 minutes and 12 balloons and you’re in business with quick, inexpensive DIY balloon topairies!
Last year at this time, I was pretty occupied with creating decorations for a large circus-themed fundraiser. (I mentioned it once before in this tutorial for practically perfect paper fans.)
In my hunt for ideas, I came across a few tutorials for balloon topiaries and–with that inspiration–created an inexpensive one of my own. The balloons were perfect for the fundraiser because they could be dressed up in “formalwear“ or dressed down for fun!
When you’re the creator you can make some pretty, fun, and lovely decorations by incorporating other elements: from tulle to tissue paper, battery LED lights, and metallic accents. They can be hung from a ceiling, mounted on a dowel or post, combined on a cord…
Here are the super easy basics (This one started as a Valentine’s Day theme, but then I added things on hand and…):
Begin with nine-inch balloons. We’ll use good, old-fashioned lung power as our inflating method.
Find a clear bowl. Mine’s just a storage container with a diameter of about 7 inches. Blow up a balloon and slowly deflate until it fits inside the bowl. (That’s to make sure the balloons are under inflated and are uniform in size.)
Twist the end of the balloon and tie into a very tight knot.
Repeat with a second balloon, then knot the two balloons together.
Repeat, repeat, repeat, until you have six pairs of balloons.
Connect two sets together (four balloons) by twisting them around each other at the knots. (Because you under inflated the balloons, you don’t have to be too gentle.)
Make three clusters of four balloons each.
Holding the balloon clusters by the center knots, join two of the four-balloon clusters together, again twisting around each other at the center knot area. Add the final cluster and twist all the clusters together, weaving any or all 12 balloons around each other until you have a desirable color arrangement.
To hang, tie a ribbon around a balloon or two and pull the ends until a knot forms at the middle of the cluster. Hang as desired….
Or…place foam in a container, pop in a dowel and mount the arrangement at the top.
Just separate a few of the balloons, place over the dowel, and release the balloons. The tension you’ve created by twisting the balloons holds them in place.
Let’s assemble one… it takes about a minute:
You can also “up the elegance” quotient by wrapping the entire dowel in tulle and gathering at the bottom. For our fundraiser we used LED lights and metallic ribbon. Really…it’s fun just to play.
But best of all… you can make these topiary clusters in under 15 minutes.
Other decorating ideas: weave curling ribbon, and let it hang at the bottom, Use the eraser end of a pencil to tuck in squares or circles of sparkle tulle or tissue. Tuck in curls of beautiful wired ribbon. Experiment with different layers and balloon sizes. Put a four-balloon cluster of 5-inch balloons at the base. …or a large balloon at the top of your topiary.
Bonus tip: you know the four-balloon clusters we made? They’re a great building block for columns (or even an archway, if you have that kind of lung power, lol).
Take the basic four-balloon cluster (I used 5-inch balloons this time and a 4-inch bowl) and flatten it out. After twisting all the balloons securely, gently pull apart two of the balloons and feed the cluster around a dowel.
Layer another cluster on top, and the next, staggering each layer until you’ve built most of your column and are close to the top.
You could put the large 12-balloon cluster on top, but I topped this one off with a cluster of eight and tied in a larger (under inflated 9-inch) balloon for the top.
You could also create a candy cane stripe by using four-balloon clusters of two alternating colors. Or try heart shaped balloons for Valentine’s Day.
Most balloons are fairly tolerant when they’re under inflated. I’ve used balloons from all kinds of places, from the Dollar Tree and Party City to the high-quality balloons made by Qualatex (visit their website for distributors). Sometimes a balloon will deflate, but you can pretty easily twist a new one in its place.
Be sure to check out some of the cute polkadot and damask print balloons and search on line for more inspiration, like this one from CelebratewithBalloons.com.via celebratewithballoons.com
Now that you know the basics, you can experiment and have some fun with your own creations!
Tagged with Balloon Columns, Balloon Topiaries, balloons, birthday decorations, centerpiece ideas, decorating with balloons, Easy Party Decorations, featured, party decorations, Party Themes, shower decorations, Simple DIY
Mini Balloon Table Topiary Tree
Please Select the colour(s)*
Mini Balloon Table Topiary Tree quantity
Add to Wishlist
Category: Balloon Centrepieces
- Reviews (0)
Mini Balloon Table Topiary Tree
This decoration consists of :
Important Delivery Information
Although delivery of our balloon decor is available Sydney wide, in the checkout you will only be able to order from this section of our site if you are picking up your balloons from our store in Alexandria.
If you would like a quote for delivery services, please phone our office on (02) 9519 3322 or use the Contact Us page to send us a message and we can provide instructions on how to add delivery to your order.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
How to make a do-it-yourself topiary: step by step instructions with a photo
Home decoration is an ongoing process. We try to make your home more comfortable and beautiful, to give individuality. This is important both on weekdays and on holidays. One way is to make a topiary. This craft will be an excellent interior decoration, a festive table, a bright, memorable gift.
Contents of the article
- 1 What is a topiary
- 2 General rules for creating a topiary
9000 4 Autumn Topiary from leaves and fruits
- 2.1 Base for a topiary
- 2.2 Ornamental tree trunk
- 2.3 Fixing the trunk to the base
- 2.4 What to make the crown from
- 2. 4.1 Ball - where to get it and what to make it from
- 2.5 How to fix the topiary crown to the barrel
- 2.6 Procedure for assembly
- 3 Master class: Topiary from artificial flowers
- 3.1 Material Preparation 9000 3.2 Assembly of Croese
- 5 Do-it-yourself dollar or money tree
- 6 Topiary made from natural materials
What is a topiary
In general, topiar is one of the types of garden art. Specifically, the art of giving decorative forms to shrubs and trees. But growing a bush or a tree takes years. Therefore, probably, artificial trees in pots appeared, which decorate the interior. They are made from natural materials (leaves, cones, coffee beans, nuts, acorns, seeds, grains, etc.), paper, artificial flowers, Christmas balls, ribbons, beads, candies ... In general, from everything ...You can literally make a topiary with your own hands from everything
Consciously or not, but the name has been slightly changed. Such crafts are called "topiary". They have been very popular in recent years. The secret is simple. They have a decorative look, serve as an excellent decoration for both holiday decoration and interior decoration. The best part is that they are easy to make with your own hands. The technique for making topiary is simple, so even beginners will find it easy. Mastering the techniques is a matter of one, maximum two days. And then, changing the material, we get a different look, style, theme.
General rules for creating a topiary
First, let's discuss the technical and technological aspects. What and how to do in terms of the "construction" of the topiary. We'll look at the creative side later. In the meantime, let's talk about how and from what to assemble the "skeleton" of the composition.Living topiary trees in pots for decoration. These are the artificial topiary trees that repeat them
Although the topiary trees look different, they all have a common structure. Like ordinary trees, they consist of a base, a trunk and a crown. Let's figure out how and from what to do it all, how to connect.
The base for making a topiary is usually a flower pot. But it can also be a vase, a cup, a basket, a jar, any plastic or metal container, a piece of wood of a suitable size. In general, everything that can give stability to the composition.The basis for the topiary is a flower pot or any other container, but there can even be a lantern on top!
When choosing a base, consider the expected weight of the crown. The heavier or more voluminous the upper part, the more area and more weight the base should have. It is most convenient to work with containers into which mortar can be poured - a solid foundation will be provided.
Decorative tree trunk
Topiary trunk can be anything. Most often it is a wand. Maybe broken off from a tree, maybe planed. And not always need a perfectly flat. If you make a topiary from natural materials, it will look better curved. You can also use a plastic or metal tube of small diameter, thick wire. There may be non-standard options, as in the photo below.There may be non-standard options. Saucers, cups, forks, wires and electrical wires are used ... A cup and saucer topiary is called a “floating cup” or “flying cup”
The length of the trunk is selected taking into account the fact that it must be fixed to the base and to the crown. The lower part is inserted into the base (at least 7-8 cm, but better - to the very bottom). The top sticks into the crown - about 1/2 the size of the ball.Too long and thin barrel breaks the proportion
Now about how high the barrel should be. The length of the visible part should be slightly larger than the size of the crown. Not a "bare" ball, but a finished crown. To be more precise, we take the length of the trunk of an artificial tree in the range from 1 to 1.5 crown sizes. Too long and thin or too short and thick trunk often spoils the whole impression. Several such compositions with errors in proportions are in the photo above and below.Too short and thick trunk violates the proportions
In some cases, the stem of the topiary may not be decorated. Then it is fixed in "natural form". If decoration is supposed, first bring it to the desired look, dry it, and only then fix it. How to decorate the trunk of a topiary? Can be painted, wrapped with decorative paper, ribbons, matting, jute rope, etc. Another option is to coat with glue and roll in sparkles, beads. It all depends on the style of the composition as a whole.
We fix the stem in the base
Alabaster or gypsum mortar is usually used to stabilize and fix the stem in the manufacture of topiary. They are sold in hardware stores in powder form. The powder is diluted to a state of thick sour cream, poured into a container, insert the barrel. Leave for several hours - until the solution hardens.
If a flower pot is chosen as the base for the topiary, a hole in the bottom must be patched before pouring the mixture. You can just stick it with tape from the inside of the pot.
Instead of alabaster and gypsum, any powdered mortar can be used. Whether putty or cement. Alabaster is good because it freezes quickly.We dilute gypsum or alabaster powder with water to a state of sour cream, pour it into a container
The use of hardening building mixtures is convenient, since it is easy to fix the trunk. It is fixed "forever". It is also good that at the same time, the lower part becomes heavier, which gives stability to the entire composition. In general, small pebbles or sand can be poured into the base, floral foam can be laid to fix the plants. However, the stability of the trunk in this case is lower and a tree with a heavy crown may fall.Ways of fixing the stem of the topiary in the base
To fix the stem without the use of building mixtures, it is glued to the bottom of the base. An all-purpose adhesive that can glue the materials to be joined is suitable. We must wait until it hardens (time is on the packaging of the glue). After that, you can fill up the material selected for filling. This option is suitable if a base with transparent walls is selected. Then you can add decorative backfill (colored pebbles, glass beads, tinsel, etc.).
What to make the crown of
As we have already said, the crown of a topiary is usually round in shape. This is not a rule. It can be any other shape, but it is the majority of round topiaries. Therefore, the basis for the crown is often a ball. There are other, more original forms, but they are created individually.Another popular artificial tree crown shape is the spiral
Balloon - where to get it and what to make it from
The easiest way is to use a foam ball. They are also called foamian (from the English foam (foam) foam). Foam balls can be found in craft stores or bought at one of the marketplaces such as Aliexpress or Amazon. They are sold in packs of several. There are various diameters. Don't buy expensive ones that are made for growing moss. Unless, you decided to make a topiary from living moss.
Why is a topiary foam ball good? It is easy to fix any details in it. You can, for example, just stick branches. Also, all the details are glued well. Well, its weight is small, which facilitates the task of stabilization. Also, foam balls have a small price, which is also important.What to make a crown for topiary
What other balls can be used? Yes, any. You can crumple paper or foil, giving it the shape of a ball. Tighten the surface with some kind of mesh or paste over with a cloth. In general, a ball is any that can be attached to the trunk without any problems.
Styrofoam balls are also used for crafts. They are white or colored. The diameter is different. They fit no worse than foam. Only hollow ones are not very good, as they have thin walls. You can only glue decor to them. If there are no balls available, take foam Christmas toys. Usually they are already painted, which can set the tone for the future composition.The basis for the crown of the tree of happiness can be a foam ball
You can also use plastic New Year's balls, but you will need to glue the decor on them with a glue gun. The alternative is no better. You will need to think about how to attach this ball to the barrel. For example, remove the fasteners for hanging from the Christmas tree and insert the trunk into this hole, smearing the connection with glue. But you need to choose / adjust the diameter of the barrel to the size of the hole.
Original form: how and from what
You can make a topiary with a non-standard crown shape. The most "running" in this group is the cone. It is made from thick paper or half-cardboard. To such a base, the decorations will need to be glued.
You can fasten the plastic mesh as shown in the photo below. For long-term compositions, you can make a base of wire mesh or flexible wire.Cone-shaped topiary accepted in the New Year theme
You can create any other shape. For example, use a snag, wood cut, CD, etc. There is only one limitation - it will be necessary to figure out how to attach the crown to the trunk. Moreover, the composition must be stable.
How to attach the crown of a topiary to the trunk
With a foam ball, everything is simple. Take the barrel, put it on the ball, press down and start rotating back and forth. The foam is partially crushed, partially crumbled. It turns out the perfect size hole. Its depth is from 1/3 of the diameter to 1/2 of the diameter of the ball. When you make the crown, smear the hole with glue, plant it and leave everything to dry for a day or so.
How to attach a ball to a barrel: making a hole
If the barrel is straight, when making the hole, keep the barrel perpendicular to the center of the ball. So that the ball is planted symmetrically, and not on the side. For asymmetrical compositions, on the contrary, you can tilt in the right direction.
This is not the only way to make a hole in a Styrofoam ball. You can just pick it out by taking some small sharp object. If there are tools for woodcarving, you can use them. It will be easy and fast. You can use items from a manicure set, but even with the tip of a knife. Just in this case, follow the dimensions of the hole not only in depth, but also in width.
Crowns of other shapes, it is usually necessary to fix them in the process of their formation. And decorate the already attached base. Otherwise, it won't work. Any fastening methods: with glue, wire, plastic ties, etc.
As you understand, there are simply no mandatory rules or exact order of actions in creating a topiary. You can do it in different ways. Everyone does as he pleases. For starters, you can try the recommended option. Then you may find the best one for you.Stage one: paint what is required, outline the holes
It is logical to immediately make all the required holes for attaching the parts. But collecting everything at once is inconvenient. As a rule, the trunk and base are first decorated, dried if necessary. Then they are fastened in the chosen way.When the crown is ready, we fix everything together
After fixing the trunk, it will take time for the final setting / drying of the glue or mortar. In the meantime, it will be possible to decorate the crown of the topiary. When it is ready, glue is applied to the hole made in advance and the crown "sits" in place.Gathered everything together and add the necessary, as it seems to us, details
The last stage is the final decoration. It's just that when you finally assemble the topiary, changes may be required. For example, the decor of the trunk or pot will not be in harmony with the crown.
Master class: artificial flower topiary
The use of artificial flowers is practically a guarantee of a good result. They are available in a variety of sizes, at different prices. When selecting material and creating a composition, use the rule of the color triangle. In the case of color design, this rule recommends using only three colors (white, gray and black do not count, all others count). If you look at the photo below, that's exactly how many colors (not shades), including green, you will see.This could be the result. In the second case, the color of the butterfly is matched to the color of the pot
When it comes to composition, only one part can be the “leader”. The second and third should take up much less space, draw much less attention to themselves. In the case of a topiary, this means that the crown has the greatest “weight”, the second in terms of load is the pot / base, and the most insignificant and inconspicuous is the trunk.
The cheapest artificial flowers are not worth buying for a topiary - they look accordingly. For starters, you can choose not too expensive, but which you like in appearance. It is most successful if the flowers are small in size. Large flowers are not easy to deal with. Need experience.Choose according to appearance and color
There are also some rules regarding the color scheme that will help you at first:
- Choose colors not in contrast, but in similar shades.
- Will need more white flowers or the same shade, but pale. These paler ones can be several shades. And, as a rule, there are more of them in number than bright ones.
- In addition to "primary" colors, "background" colors may be required. Background flowers are smaller ones, which are also used to fill the space when making bouquets.
- Need more greens. Partially, it is in artificial colors, but leaves, greens of a different form may be required.
It will be cheaper if you buy not single flowers, but ready-made compositions or bouquets. It is important that you like them. In this case, you will need to disassemble the compositions into separate fragments. If different colors are present, sort by color along the way.
There are two options for preparing flowers for making a topiary. The first is to leave the longest legs so that you can then cut them off as needed. Take garden shears or nippers and bite off the stems close to where they join into a bush. The second option is to remove the flower heads to the first articulation. Then insert toothpicks into them (lubricate them with glue). This option is good if you plan to make a compact crown.Preparing flowers - Use garden shears to cut stems
In most cases, artificial flowers come with leaves. You can leave them as they are, or you can remove them and use other greens. If you decide to leave the leaves, it is better to move them closer to the flower. The composition should be compact, with dense filling.
Assembly of the crown
It is best to start by painting the ball green. This is if there is a lot of greenery. Acrylic paint is suitable - it fits well and dries quickly. Can be applied with a brush or small sponge. After the paint has dried, you can start assembling.Making a topiary with artificial flowers
If you want to get a natural-looking crown of a topiary, like a living bouquet, start by filling in with greenery. This will make it easier to understand where and how many colors to add. Do not strive for all elements to be the same length. A small difference gives a special charm.
Insert the brightest flowers first, then add the background and greens. There are no rules, you know. Be guided by your ideas of beauty. If you don't like the result, you can remove some or all of it and try again. This is what foam compositions are good for - they can be redone several times. Glue is more difficult.Added blue, reduced the number of white flowers. The result is not worse))
For example, you see two slightly different options in the photo above. In one, only white was added to the main colors, in the second there are also small blue flowers. You can try adding pale pink or pale lilac. In general, experiment.
Autumn topiary with leaves and fruits
Artificial leaves, twigs with berries and fruits can be used to make an autumn topiary. Artificial leaves can be found in the same stores that sell artificial flowers. You can look in stores for decorators. You can also find something in construction supermarkets. There, usually, there are departments of goods for home decoration.Insert the leaves into the colored ball
The preparation of the material is similar. You cut something, you move something closer. The difference is that it is better to paint the ball brown. And so that it dries normally, put it on a skewer, and insert it into a piece of foam, for example. Don't forget to make a hole for the barrel. And, when shaping the crown, keep it pointing down.
We begin to form the crown. Add red and yellow leaves, distribute them over the entire surface. Then comes the flowers. It can be any autumn flowers.Autumn topiary plays with red and yellow colors
Then we add some greenery, twigs with colored berries, cones. You can add acorns, nuts, sprigs of needles, arborvitae. In general, everything you see fit. It is important that you like the result. But do not overdo it with various details, as this makes you look at the composition for a long time, which interferes with perception.
Do-it-yourself dollar or money tree
If ordinary topiaries are called the tree of happiness, then crafts with banknotes are called the money tree. It is not known how much they help to get rich, but they can look good.For inspiration: a money tree made of banknotes, coins
As in any other case, you can use a variety of banknotes or their analogues. The only difference from the previous options is that everything is glued. It is better to use a glue gun for this. Why? Everything is simple. It fixes instantly, but it is also easy to remove everything, remove the adhesive and stick it again.
When using a glue gun, the styrofoam ball must be painted, otherwise it will melt. It is better to use acrylic paint - it fits well and dries quickly. It does not make sense to achieve a uniform color, but it is impossible to leave unpainted areas.
You can make such a tree from real coins. But the crown will turn out to be heavy, so you will definitely need to fill the base with cement. Not even alabaster or plaster, but cement, because it is heavier. To avoid weight problems, we can use chocolate coin wrappers. Outwardly similar, the weight is minimal.Topiary from chocolate coin wrappers makes the crown of the coin tree not very heavy
Foam ball is better to paint. Color - in tone with the selected "currency". In this case, yellow or gold is more suitable. We begin to glue coins on the ball from the top. One coin in the center, four more around it. Then - in layers, close, or, better, with a small entry of one coin onto another. In the form of scales. We leave the crown to dry, we begin to decorate the base.Decorating the base of the topiary in the style of St. Patrick
Since the top turned out to be light, we can use a regular pot. This money tree is dated for St. Patrick's Day, so we use the traditional green color. Add a sparkle, make a buckle out of a piece of paper with white sparkles. Using black electrical tape, draw a belt. Quick and easy. It remains to insert and fix the stick with glue and put a crown on it.
As already mentioned, topiary can be made from natural materials. For example, from acorns, nutshells, coffee beans, cones, and so on.
Examples of topiary made from cones, nuts, acorns and other natural materials
If using buds, keep them in a warm, dry place for a while until they open. If desired, the cones can be painted, glittered, or decorated in any other way.
Despite the beauty of natural materials, the composition looks too monotonous. Add a few colored elements to spice things up. It can be bright berries or a couple of Christmas decorations if the composition is New Year's. Another option is to paint a few fragments with bright paint, add beads, sparkles, and so on.
The combination of coffee, cones and artificial flowers looks original. If you make a crown only from coffee, it will be too monotonous. Dilution with flowers and beads looks festive.If you add bright details to natural materials, it will be stylish and festive.
Let's start traditionally - with painting the ball. In this case, the barrel was immediately attached so as not to lose sight of the "front" part. Glue coffee beans row by row.
Start decorating: glue coffee beans row by row, add leaves and some flowers
You can use a glass, a jar or a piece of a plastic bottle as a stand. We put a ball on them during work - it is very inconvenient to keep it on weight and glue small elements.
Rotate the ball in the right direction, pointing the stem down. On one side we glue a few leaves of white fabric. On top of them we will place small cones. Between them are small white flowers and pale pink roses. On the rest of the place we will place small white beads.Finishing the decoration of the crown
Attaching the finished crown to the bottom of the pot. You can simply glue it in the center and fill it with small pebbles. Lay a circle of foam or thick paper or cardboard on top. Make a hole in it for the barrel. When everything is adjusted, glue the edges of the pot and the trunk with glue, put the circle in place. Let's start decorating the bottom.Decorating a slide for artificial wood
We form small “grass” balls from artificial grass. We post them. If you want, you can glue, but only if necessary. From above lay out cones, a couple of roses and beads. Everything, the topiary is ready.
types, shapes, figure ideas and care of topiary
Fri, 03/23/2018 - 02:22 PM | Comments: 5 | Author: OLCHUKS
Since ancient times, people have tried to decorate not only their homes, but also the area around them. Even now animal figurines and sculptural compositions are made from improvised means. But you can turn your garden into a paradise by cutting trees and shrubs, creating sculptural compositions from plants.
The sophistication of style, its rigor and refinement attract modern man to topiary art. The fashion for live figures has returned more than once since ancient times. The so-called baroque gardens were especially popular during the Renaissance, in the 18th and 19th centuries. The topiary craze continues. And now the market offers ready-made live forms grown in special conditions. But topiaries are also created on their own.
- Essence of topiary art
- Types and forms of topiary
- Which plants are suitable for creating topiary forms?
- Best Ideas for Green Shapes
- Topiary Care Tips
The essence of topiary art
Topiary is based on the ability of a person to turn an ordinary tree or shrub into a work of garden art. The creation of figures takes place taking into account the designer's fantasy plan with the help of scissors, a saw and a rope. From green material they create figures, both geometric and people, animals, birds. They will decorate the lawn, resting place. Topiaries are often used to create hedges instead of boring fences.
Trees are grown on trellises to form green roofs that can be walked or even cycled under. In the landscape, it is fashionable to use a garden - bonsai, as a kind of topiary art. In topiary, the creation of green arches and arbors stands apart.
All shapes and forms are created by cutting and trimming.
Cut trees and shrubs, creating figures of strict geometric shape, on hedges. Pruning is a more painstaking task that requires a certain skill, with the creation of shapes for umbrellas, balls, trellises. It is important to choose the right types of plants that match the style of the garden, selected forms. Anyone who wants to decorate the territory with unusual figures can learn how to create topiary on their site.
Types and forms of topiary
Topiary works of art have several types:
- In a traditional garden, trees are given the desired shape using chalk, rope and garden shears. Everything is done according to inspiration, according to how the artist imagines the form of plants necessary to fulfill his plan. To create it, a frame is put on the plant and the crown is trimmed along it.
- Complex compositions are made on the basis of a human or animal figure created from a frame. Frame bases are filled with peat and moss is planted on it. All parts of the figure are firmly fastened to each other. As the moss turns green, the figures acquire completeness and expressiveness. They can be decorated with flowers by planting them in peat. It turns out the original flower beds, going up. The easiest way is to make figures from ivy. A plant is woven along the figure made from the frame, bringing revival to the landscape design. Such figures move freely around the site, they are used to create complex compositions.
- Topiary in a pot is suitable for decorating the veranda. A "green" sculpture is formed from a plant planted in a container.
- Bonsai garden inspired from Japanese gardening art. It focuses on one tree with the original crown.
- For bosquets, closed areas, it is typical to define the boundaries with dense plantings of regular geometric shape.
- An interesting labyrinth with intricate passages made of sheared hedges.
Topiary art offers various forms. There is no limit to the imagination of the designer or gardener. One of the most commonly used shapes is the pyramid and the ball. They are easy to perform even for novice gardeners. Creating animals and birds requires a certain skill. There is no need for a frame here. The same applies to human figures.
In addition to single sculptures, “pictures” composed of several figures are often used, which have a complete plot. The presence of flowers in them enlivens the topiary figures. Beautiful arched passages made of plants, specially shaped to create a composition. There are simple forms of topiary that a person without certain skills can build, for complex ones, a designer is invited.
Which plants are suitable for creating topiary forms
Depending on the shape of the "green" figures, plants are also selected:
- Borders of low shrubs are trimmed, and they serve as borders for flower beds, rose gardens, they limit garden paths. Up to a meter tall shrubs are needed for the border, such as boxwood, lavender, rosemary. Boxwood is characterized by unpretentiousness. It grows well in the sun and in the shade, but for the winter it is covered with spruce branches or special material.
- For hedges along the border of the site, creating a labyrinth, viburnum, euonymus, laurel, privet are suitable. Although privet grows quickly, it is a very delicate plant that does not tolerate low temperatures. The same applies to Lavra. They are best used for the container view of the topiary. If you need a dense high wall, then it is made of thuja, linden, spruce, hornbeam, field maple, hawthorn, yellow acacia. The western thuja is rapidly gaining height as a fast-growing and unpretentious plant. From it you can create any figure for the garden.
- To create an arch, hornbeams or yews are planted opposite each other. The tops of the trees are tied, and having arranged the plantings in a circle, they get a beautiful living gazebo. It is necessary to cut the yew twice a year, as it grows quickly. The pruning procedure is carried out with gloves due to the poisonous juice of the plant.
- Sculptural compositions need the density of green mass, so plants with an abundance of foliage and needles are selected. Barberry, thuja, cotoneaster are resistant to any growing conditions.
- Artificial forms cannot be compared with the crowns of plants, in which it looks like a pyramid (common oak), grows in tiers (controversial dogwood). It looks interesting as a soloist in the garden, the crown of a fan-shaped palm-shaped maple. It remains only to correct the shoots with a haircut and pruning, giving the crown the desired shape. Of the climbing plants, hops, grapes, and ivy are best suited. You can also use loach, choosing varieties according to the color of the flowers.
- For planting in peat embedded in the frames of the figures, ground covers are used. Mshanka creates figures by placing them in the shadows. The saxifrage is planted in soil of medium fertility, adding crushed stone, gravel or coarse-grained river sand. It grows up to fifteen to thirty centimeters and does not require abundant watering. Alpine Antenaria grows rapidly, filling the space of the frame with silver-green foliage.
Plants are selected according to the design and style of the topiary.
The best ideas for creating "green shapes"
Topiary garden design should start with simple shapes:
- The geometric shape is made from bushes or trees that are five years old. The dimensions of the crown should be greater than the volume of the intended figure. It is better to cut branches in early spring before bud break or at the end of summer. It is not worth trimming before winter, as the plant will be weakened and may die during severe frosts. Under the crown of the tree, the boundaries of the sides of the cube are marked with sticks. Starting from the upper shoots, with the transition to the side branches, they cut with garden shears. After rough work, the planes are trimmed, removing branches that stand out from the total length. Carrying out the operation, they control, evaluate the actions, moving away a certain distance.
- Similarly, the formation of a rounded bush cap or pyramidal cutting of tall trees and shrubs is carried out. These forms will look good in borders, hedges. Interesting cuboid forms, planted in a checkerboard pattern.
- To create figures of animals, a bird or a person, a small-leaved tree or shrub is chosen, tying it to a support. They put a wire mesh on the bush in the form of a conceived sculpture. As the plant grows, cut off extra branches. Cut from top to bottom, leaving three buds on the shoots. Instead of pruning, you can direct the branches, tying them to the frame. Additional parts are made from a painted block of wood, attaching it to the wire to the main structure. The device of such a sculpture or composition will take more than one year. But it will become an original decoration of the lawn, recreation area, shore of the reservoir.
- You can build "green" furniture with a table, armchairs, a sofa, stuffing the frames with peat and planting moss on it. Before filling, the moss is soaked in water for half an hour. Having filled the structural base with a substrate, plants are planted in the holes made. These include succulents, ground cover, climbing species of herbaceous crops. Suitable and grapes, and ivy, and loosestrife. Paper clips are used to fasten shoots with a wire frame. The plant grows together with a given shape. It remains then to remove the frame mesh. Hedgehog figurines, a family of piglets, an elephant are constructed in a similar way. To make the sculpture look neat, sphagnum moss is chosen low with a bright green color. It is better to collect natural material in a whole layer, gently prying it. After collecting moss in the forest, bald spots are sprinkled with foliage to quickly restore the integrity of the cover. To save moss, it is mixed with straw and earth.
- You can simplify the creation of a "green figure" by taking a children's toy as a basis. It is cut into two parts and clogged with moss. Curly nets and specialized stores are offered. Ivy or hops are good for making shapes quickly. A metal structure of a car, a sofa and other items is placed on the planted weaving plants. The branches of plants are fixed with a rope to the net and cut. The frame overgrows during the summer.
- Moss topiary figures are set in the shade of a tree, a balcony. In the sun, the moss will burn out, and the sculpture will lose its attractiveness.
- A garden of small sculptures made of rosemary, thyme, lavender will look unique. For them, you can choose a spherical shape. It will give the garden completeness and originality.
- One of the types of topiary is bonsai, when a tree is decorated in an oriental style. Amenable to haircut, except for privet and elm, Tatar honeysuckle. From conifers, they choose Scotch pine or European spruce. The selected tree is dug out of the forest and transferred to the garden. First, it is placed in a corner protected from the wind, with a sufficient amount of light, and then transplanted to a permanent place. The best way to decorate a bonsai tree is an alpine hill, a bank of a reservoir or a flower bed.
They work on the formation of the crown with the help of garden tools. Some of the branches are cut off, leaving them horizontally. To give direction to the skeletal branches, they are tied to rails, hanging weights to pull them down. You can fasten the shoots with wire, giving the desired shape. During the growth of the tree, it is controlled that the wire does not interfere with the movement of the juice inside the tree. During the season, unnecessary processes are removed to maintain shape, and the trunk is cleaned of awakening buds.
For conifers, they use the technique of plucking young branches, breaking them off by hand. The tops of trees are removed to encourage the formation of new shoots. Place the trees in the bonsai garden in sunny areas. All topiary ideas are interesting in their own way, you just need to choose what is suitable for the site in accordance with the style of the territory.
Topiary care tips
The rules for caring for topiary are the same as for garden plants:
- Water the figures abundantly so that the plants do not turn yellow. Drought is dangerous for sphagnum moss. It is constantly sprayed from above. For large figures, drip irrigation is arranged or a special irrigation system is built.
- Trimming and shearing of the figures is carried out regularly, otherwise they will look sloppy. Be sure to leave a few buds on the branches for further vegetation of the plant. Use garden shears or pruners for the procedure, which are disinfected in advance. The operation is carried out with gloves.
- For plants that do not tolerate frost well and may die, choose container forms. In autumn, pots with figures are removed into a room with an air temperature of at least five degrees Celsius. If it is not possible to remove living sculptures, then they are carefully covered with protective material or fallen leaves, covered with snow.