How to make palm tree leaves out of construction paper
DIY paper palm leaves step by step
DIY paper palm leaves step by step. DIY paper palm spears tutorial with pictures and video. Paper palm fronds tutorial. In the following article, we will you the easiest method to make paper palm leaves for home decor.
DIY paper palm leaves step by step
Nowadays dried palm leaves are trending, these paper palm leaves look so classy and give an elegant, earthy and tropical touch to your home decoration, so why not make its paper version. Save lots of money by DIY palm leaves.
You can place these paper palm leaves in a vase or you can hang them on the wall, or tie them in the shape of a wreath to use them as a bohemian lampshade. Basically, you can use these paper palm spears for many other projects. So let’s start the tutorial.
Supplies needed to make the paper palm leaf
- Brown Colored Paper (Chart paper or Cratefini Crepe Paper) – Buy here A3 size, 160gsm paper
You can use any colour to make these leaves, make sure the paper is thicker than the normal paper to give the leaves a more spiky and sharp look. I used brown-coloured paper because it gives boho earthy vibes.
- Thin crepe paper to wrap the wooden skewer and to create a stem base.
- Glue or Hot Glue
- Wooden skewers
Before you start you might want to watch the paper palm leaf video tutorial here
DIY paper palm spear tutorial with pictures and videoStep One
Cut along the drawn line.
Cut your paper 15 inches in length and 13 inches wide. Then fold it in half and draw a kind of half oval shape.
Cut along the drawn lines as sown in the picture.Step Two
Tightly fold your leaves and mark the centre of your fan leaf. Now start fan folding the paper like the way we make paper fans. Fold the paper from the flat bottom to the end. Tightly fold your leaves and mark the centre of your fan leaf.Step Three
Once all the holes are created, take out the needle and start inserting the wooden skewer through the holes created.
Now take a big needle or anything similar to that and start creating small holes so our wooden skewers can fit easily. Start inserting the needle from the centre as shown below. Once all the holes are created, take out the needle and start inserting the wooden skewer through the holes created.
How to make paper palm leaves tutorialStep Four
Fold the ends of your fan leaf, the wooden skewer will be in between these two halves of the fan leaf. Apply hot glue in the centre on the wooden skewer as well as on the edges then stick them together.
It will look like this after sticking the two halves.
It will look like this after sticking the two halves.
You might like to learn how to make this gorgeous rose paper flower bouquet – Click here for tutorialStep Five
Now to give it a spiky look, start cutting palm edges to create tips. Just follow the pictures shown below to cut the perfect spiky leaves shape.
After cutting the leaves’ shape, slightly bend the pointy side of the leaves to give it a natural look.
You might like to read:
How to make paper flower bouquet step by step tutorial
DIY Paper bicycle step by step with pictures
Easy Christmas crafts to make and sell for profit
Pampas grass decor ideas for indoor and outdoorStep Six
Now take thin crepe paper and cut a strip about 1.5cm wide and wrap it around the wooden skewer. Use the paper in the same colour in which you have made the palm leaves.Step Seven
Now it’s time to make “the stem base” by wrapping the same crepe paper near the bottom fold of the leaf as shown below.
And you are done!
Here I have created three palm leaves, the bigger one in the centre is more in the lightest shade of brown colour. Another cool paper project is the gift bag tutorial for Father’s Day. Check it out here.
If you enjoy this paper tutorial, please pin any image you like.
Please do not copy my tutorial or part of it. You can use 1 single image if you want to include it in a round-up post. A link back to this tutorial is mandatory. Thank you.
DIY paper palm fronds
Don’t forget to subscribe to CreativeGiantHands YouTube channel for more papercraft tutorials and cooking videos.
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links which means I might receive a commission if you choose to purchase from my referral link at no extra cost to you.
DIY paper Palm Leaf
A big trend in decoration lately is a simple interior with neutral colors and natural materials. There are so many ways to add a touch of nature in the home. You can use materials like wood, wool, linen, rattan, or simply integrate some natural elements like branches, driftwood, or palm leaves into your decor. If what I just mentioned speaks to you, you will enjoy this DIY.
[ This post probably contains affiliates links, our full disclosure policy is really boring, but you can read it HERE ]
I’m showing you how to make palm leaves with brown paper, it’s super easy. Even if you don’t live in the tropics, you can still add an exotic touch to your decor.
You can choose to hang your leaves on the wall or place them in a vase. I show you both variations, so you can display dried palm leaves all-around your house.
RELATED: Easy to make 3D Paper house
RELATED: DIY tropical paper flowers
- Brown paper
- The free palm template (If you already are a member, click HERE for direct access to download your template)
- A pencil
- A pair of scissors
- Brown tape
- Craft dowel
The FREE template printable is available in my resource library along with a bunch of other great prints and patterns. All you need to do is fill out the form and check your inbox for a welcome email with the password in. Click here to get in >>>> FREE LIBRARY ACCESS
The Paper Palm leaves look better with medium thickness brown paper, avoid using too thin paper as the leaves won’t be sturdy enough to hold straight.
No time to DIY? Purchase the best dried palm leaves in Madeleine Shop.
RELATED: DIY palm Mirror Decor
Start to download the template and assemble it. It’s quite easy. You have two different leaves shape template, each one composed of 4 sheets. Cut along the straight lines and tape the sheets together. Help your self placing the numbered arrows facing each other.
Place the leaf template on the brown paper and report the shape using a pencil.
Cut the leaf shape out of the brown paper.
Take your leaf and fold it in the middle.
Open your leaf and starting from the center, fold the paper to make an accordion. Exactly like the ones we use to make as kids. Try to keep the folds straight and with the same width. A good measure to have between each fold is 1/2 inch (1 cm).
Once you are done folding one half, get back to the center fold and start folding the second part of your leaf.
Unfold a little your leaf and pinch the bottom. To hold the bottom folds together and make the “stem” base, wrap tape around it. The best is to use brown tape if you don’t have any you can use transparent tape and after all cover it with a piece of brown paper.
Get ready to make a bunch of paper palm leaves and grab this tape to make the craft easier.
And done! You just make a nice paper palm leaf. Below I show you how to cut the palm edge to make tips and give the leaf another look. I also explain how to add a dowel if you like to make a stem.
If you want to make a palm leaf with tip edges you need to cut little notches all around the palm edge. Please note that it’s easier to do this step before wrapping the tape to hold the bottom of the palm together.
You have to cut the notches on all the folds that are on the same side. I explain: the folds are alternate, one up the other down. You take whatever you want, all the up folds or all the down folds, it doesn’t matter. You pinch the fold and cut a triangular shape along the fold. Keep cutting all around the leaf, always taking the same side of folds.
Open your leaf and adjust the notches if necessary, I cut some tips to make them sharper.
To add a stem, open the centerfold at the bottom of the leaf, add some glue and fix the dowel. Wrap some tape around the dowel and the bottom folds to hold the palm and the dowel together.
Watch the video tutorial to make DIY paper Palm Leaf
Follow Ohoh deco on Youtube and be the first to find out about the new DIY.
RELATED: 25 DIY you can make with Rattan
RELATED: Make a paper plant that looks better than a real one
And done! What do you think? It’s a super easy paper craft to make. I find it quite relaxing to make the folds.
You can hang a palm leaf as wall decor, to do so just use double-sided tape or this tape to hold the leaf in place. Another decoration idea is to display the palm leaves on a vase or a glass bottle. This craft is so easy to make that it’s also a great option for party decor.
Tell me where would you like to display your paper dried palm leaves? I love to see what you create with my tutorials, leave a message in the comments, or drop me an email at amaryllis(at)ohohdeco(dot)com.
Have fun crafting!
Want to remember it? Save this DIY paper Palm leaf tutorial in your favorite Pinterest board
You will find all the tutorials featured in the video on my “Best DIY” page.
Do-it-yourself paper palm tree: master class with photo
From ordinary colored paper and glue, which are in every home, you can make many wonderful crafts that will delight you and your children. For example, a paper palm tree is a great option for beginners who want to do their own work.
Making a paper palm tree is fun enough to keep little kids interested. In addition, it perfectly develops imagination and fine motor skills. A voluminous origami-style palm tree or a palm tree made from pieces of wire and corrugated paper will be a wonderful interior decoration. We have created a detailed master class with photo and video materials, thanks to which you can easily cope with this task.
How to make a voluminous palm tree out of paper with your own hands in MK
To make a palm tree out of paper we need:
- Corrugated green paper;
- Brown colored plain paper;
- fine wire approx. 25 cm;
First, over about making a trunk for our palm tree. To do this, we take a wire of a little corrugated paper and plain brown paper.
1) We wrap the wire with a piece of corrugated paper, this is necessary so that the brown stripes do not slip off when we glue them to the wire. Yes, and the shape of the trunk will be more durable.
2) Cut the brown paper into strips of about 2-3 cm. Fold each such strip 6 times and create a fringe out of them. To do this, we make a neat incision from any edge.
3) Now glue the brown fringe to the frame of the palm tree. We apply glue to the edge of the strip and wrap it tightly around the frame so that the base is not visible. We do this 3 times to make the palm tree more voluminous.Leaves.
In order to create foliage for our palm tree, cut the corrugated paper into strips of 1 cm and a length of about 6. Fold in half and cut out the leaves. We give each leaf an elongated shape, similar to a palm leaf. Leaves need to be made and 2 sizes - small ones will go to the top of the palm tree, and large ones will serve as the main part of the crown.
Now it remains only to assemble the finished palm tree from the parts that we made. To do this - Glue leaves to the top of the finished trunk - first small, then large.
At the end We fix the workpiece on the stand. And the handmade palm tree is ready. You can decorate the base with small colored pebbles or sand to create a finished look.
Origami Palm Tree:
A voluminous origami-made palm tree from modules will also look original. You will need:
- 14 green thick paper,
- 16 yellow paper,
- stationery knife or scissors
To create a palm tree using this technique, we first need to collect the required number of modules. It will take 210 green modules and 243 yellow ones. To make a module, use the diagram below.
After assembling the required number of modules, we begin to create our palm tree in stages.Palm tree base:
1) First, we need to make our palm tree an island on which it will stand. To do this, we make the first and second rows of each of 9green modules and turn them inside out.
2) On each corner of the module of the second row we put on one module of the third. In total, 18 green modules will be needed.
3) We collect the fourth row by analogy with the third.
4) And in the fifth row, you will need to attach 36 modules already.Sandy beach:
1) Starting from the 6th row, we turn on the yellow modules.
2) It is necessary to form the 6th and 7th row, each should consist of 36 yellow modules.Trunk:
1) From the 8th row, a palm tree trunk begins to appear.
2) Distribute 18 yellow modules evenly. We insert them into the gaps between the modules of the first and second row, imitating sand.
3) In the 9th row we distribute 8 yellow modules and repeat this action 19 rows in a row.Palm leaves:
1) Now we need to make the branches of our palm tree. In total, we need 6 identical leaves for this. To assemble one sheet, you will need green modules - the first 2 rows should consist of 6 green modules each. Modules of the second row are put on backwards compared to the first. we do the third row as follows - 2 green modules are put on each of the corners of the previous row. In total, you need to collect 12 rows in this way.
2) The remaining five leaves are collected in the same sequence.
Finish the palm tree by gluing the leaves to the top of the trunk.
Our original origami palm tree is ready.
Video on the topic of the article
We have selected for you some visual and useful video tutorials on the topic of creating a palm tree from paper, which may be useful and suggest you watch them.
how to make a palm tree with your own hands, applications from colored paper, voluminous crafts with corrugated paper branches, origami and templates for cutting
Making DIY crafts are a great way to have a great and interesting time. For children, this lesson will also be educational, especially if you make something unusual, for example, a paper palm tree that does not grow in our country. How to make a palm tree out of paper yourself, and what ways to assemble it exist, we will provide all the necessary information: step-by-step photos, video tutorials, design ideas and diagrams.
- Features of exotic paper plants
- Examples of ready-made paper and cardboard crafts
- How to make a Palm tree
- Materials and tools needed
- Step by step assembly of a three-dimensional palm tree with step by step photos
- Origami for beginners
- Cutting Templates
- Paper Palm Ideas
Exotic Paper Plant Features
Plants growing in warm southern countries are different from the flora of our climate. Exotic trees amaze with their unusualness, and lovers of making various paper crafts very often prefer to create palm trees from paper.
The completed work looks very impressive, attracting the attention of others. For this reason, these crafts are always used to decorate interiors, holidays.
Paper and cardboard craft examples
How to make a palm tree
To understand how to make a palm tree out of paper, you must first familiarize yourself with the step-by-step assembly scheme, watch the video. Since the palm tree is an unusual tree, you should especially pay attention to how to make palm leaves from paper, and the plant stem itself.
Required materials and tools
Prepare all necessary materials for work:
- colored paper (or corrugated) in two shades of green and brown;
- wire - for the barrel;
- base for installing a palm tree - a piece of foam, plasticine, twisted strips of colored paper (quilling), a container with sand;
- plain pencil.
Depending on the type of craft chosen, the materials may change, for example, when making an appliqué, you can add some action to the created picture - an island, a sea, a bird (etc), and then you will need more colored sheets of paper, paints or felt-tip pens . Also, for the design of the panel, it will be a plus if the work is placed in a frame. Then a hand-made craft will surely please everyone with its originality.
Step-by-step assembly of a three-dimensional palm tree with step-by-step photos
Large-sized three-dimensional palm tree, perfect for decorating covered terraces, verandas, winter gardens, while the cost of making crafts will be minimal.
Even children can handle the work, assembly should be done in stages:
- cardboard) from paper towels.
- Brown paper is torn by hand arbitrarily, giving irregularities to the blanks, of any size. Then the resulting sheets should be crumpled in the hands - for greater realism.
- The trunk is wrapped, starting from the bottom, overlapping in a spiral with brown blanks.
- The paper is fixed with rubber bands or threads at intervals of 6-8 cm.
- The edges of the brown paper are folded to the sides, giving a similarity to the irregularities of the bark of a palm tree trunk.
- From colored green paper, preferably two shades (for greater realism), cut out elongated blanks for leaves 8-10 pcs. Fold in half and make a "fringe" at an angle to the outer end of the sheet.
- Folded paper palm leaves 4 pcs. and fastened at the base with a stapler. The outer tips should look in different directions.
- The collected leaves are fixed on the top of the trunk with glue, if towel sleeves are used, then the leaves are planted on the glue, then crumpled brown paper (in the form of a ball) is inserted on top. If necessary, use threads or braid.
The finished palm tree is installed on a pedestal, in a pot, flowerpot, planter, where sand, decorative pebbles, shells are poured.
Crafts can be made from corrugated paper for this:
- brown paper is cut into thin strips (2-2.5 cm), cutting off the “fringe” on one side;
- green paper is cut into 8-12 pieces of elongated leaves, cutting them on each side, giving the shape of a palm leaf, the size may be different;
- brown strips are wound (at an angle) on the blank for the barrel (tube, wire, strong wire, stick), fixed with glue;
- uncut brown paper elements are folded back, giving randomness;
- Leaves are fastened with thread, wire and glue to the top of the stem and spread out.
The palm tree can be installed in a piece of Styrofoam (painted brown), a container with sand or pebbles.
The smallest leaves are fixed closer to the center of the palm trunk, then the middle ones are placed, and the largest ones are glued last.
Simple Origami for Beginners
There are many simple patterns for beginners in the origami technique, even children will cope with the work, and will be proud of themselves and crafts.
The origami palm is assembled in stages:
- a square (15x15 cm or 20x20 cm) of green paper is folded in the middle - horizontally, vertically (turning), then twice diagonally;
- after each fold (4 times in total) the fold is ironed and the sheet is straightened;
- fold the square along the folds into the basic shape - a double square;
- in the upper part of the workpiece, the sides are folded towards the center, then opened;
- the first layer of the square is opened to the sides (up and down), an elongated rhombus is obtained;
- the rhombus is folded in half and the workpiece is turned over;
- the same steps are repeated on the other side;
- open carefully and fold the two sides to make them flat;
- a blank was obtained from four adjacent sheets;
- take the middle of the foliage and bend it into the form of palm branches bent down;
- sharp tips are also slightly tucked under.
The crown is ready, then an unusual palm trunk is assembled:
- a gray, orange or brown sheet of paper in the form of a square of the same shape, folded twice in half upwards, then again - you get a narrow blank;
- open it and fold the narrow sides towards the middle at the center of the fold;
- open the blank;
- from the front side, the workpiece is bent in a zigzag manner - the width of the folds is 5-8 mm, the step is 2-3 cm;
- after that, the workpiece is bent in the center (along the fold line) and along the side lines - a ready-made stable trunk is obtained.
Palm branches are fixed on the trunk with glue, double-sided tape. The craft is ready.
Applications for children
For the smallest creators, the following simple and very beautiful application scheme will be possible:
- Pre-prepare the components for crafts. Circles (5 pieces) 2.5-3 cm in size are cut out of brown paper, and they are cut in half - these are the parts for assembling the trunk. From shades of green paper, circles are cut out in size 10 cm - 1 pc., 7.5 cm - 1 pc., And 5 cm - 2 pcs. Each of them is cut in the middle.
- But the base of colored cardboard is laid in the middle with brown overlapping semicircles (lower to upper) in the form of a curved trunk. Then fixed with glue.
- Cut off the “fringe” on the round side of green blanks and give it randomness.
- Two large blanks of leaves are glued to the trunk by the middle, the clipped edges are not touched with glue. Next, on the base of the large ones, I fix the blanks of the middle circle - the same way.
- The first small piece, 5 cm, is also glued on the middle leaves, and the second on the largest leaves, giving the palm a volume and a rounded shape.
If desired, you can add an island of yellow paper, a bird, a sun.
A large assortment of templates and stencils makes it easy and quick to choose your favorite model to make your own craft. To do this, it is printed out for cutting.
Ideas for using paper palm trees
Since handicrafts made by yourself usually look very beautiful, are associated with rest (summer) and vacation, they are often used in interior design.