How to use garland on a christmas tree
How to Decorate Your Christmas Tree
Make your Christmas tree Pinterest-worthy with these simple steps.
Shop Tree Toppers
Shop Tree Skirts
Decorate Your Tree in 6 Simple Steps
For many, the most enjoyable time of the holiday season is decorating the Christmas tree. However, if you are looking for some help this year, let us guide you through the basics of making a beautiful tree. Ornaments, lights, and garland are a good start, but there are many accessories you can add for more personality and style. For example, our designers love to place table top decorations that match the trees' theme right onto the tree branches. A glitter deer tabletop decoration is a great example of a way to incorporate this technique. Just make sure that any decorations you add are properly secured. Let your imagination run free!
Step 1: Set Up Your Tree
Select the desired location for your Christmas tree and place it in the stand. Many artificial trees come with a tree stand included. However, if yours doesn't come with one, there are other options available. We carry a selection of tree stands for both artificial and live trees. Our live tree stands come with an easy watering feature, saving you time and hassle.
Step 2: Christmas Lights
If you don't have a pre-lit Christmas tree, you'll want to test your Christmas lights first. Join the strings together and plug them in. Replace any dead bulbs and make sure the cords aren't damaged. Please see our Safety Guide for more tips on lighting.
How many lights should I use?
Don't skimp out on your lights! You should use a 100-light set per Christmas tree foot. So if you have a 7-foot Christmas tree, you will want to buy seven (7) '100-light sets'. The biggest thing to remember when putting lights on a Christmas tree is how bright you want it to look. If you are using LED lights on a Christmas tree, you will want to use fewer lights as LED lights provide a brighter glow.
Don't be afraid to mix and match lights. There is no rule that says you only have to use one kind of light, so get creative! If you are using any themed lights or novelty lights, be sure to put them on after your basic lights. We recommend evenly spacing them apart for the best result.
Where do I put my Christmas lights on the tree?
After you've made sure that all of your lights are working, string them on your tree starting from the top down. Weave your lights along the branches 'inside,' then move to the outer edges of the branches. If you have a lit tree topper, make sure that you leave the socket end of the lights at the top of the tree to plug it in.Shop Lights
Step 3: The Tree Toppers
What tree topper should I use?
The tree topper symbolizes the spirit of Christmas and is one of the most important pieces on your tree. Tree toppers come in a wide variety of styles, shapes, and colors. Much like other lights, our pre-lit tree toppers come in incandescent and LED options, and come in sizes ranging from less than 5 inches to well over a foot tall.
How do I place my tree topper?
If your tree topper is electric, make sure to plug it into the socket end of the lights that you left open at the top of your tree. Keep in mind your tree topper does not have to go right at the top of the tree. If you have a 7.5 foot ceiling and a 7.5 foot Christmas tree, you can always put it off to the side a bit. You can also consider folding down the top branch of the tree to gain a few more inches.Shop Tree Toppers
Step 4: The Garland
How much garland should I use?
A rule of thumb is at least nine (9) feet of garland per foot of a tree, so a 7-foot Christmas tree will need sixty-three (63) feet of garland. We recommend buying more garland to be on the safe side. If you are left with any extra, you can always use it on the mantle or wreaths.
How do I place my garland?
With garland, it's best to start at the top and work your way down in a spiral pattern going around the tree until you get to the bottom. Gently-swagged garland looks more graceful than straight or diagonal lines across the tree. Deeply swagged garland is beautiful, but can only be used on large trees with open space between branches. You can also place your garland vertically. Just attach it to the top of your tree (behind the tree topper) then loop it down vertically. Be sure to add some twists and turns, wiring to branches if necessary, in order to add interest and graceful curves. This technique is especially suited to ribbon.
You can cut beaded garland into different lengths and use it as tinsel to drape over branches. Be sure that the garland is knotted to keep the beads from falling off of the string. Strings knotted between each bead or styles where beads are glued in place will work for this technique.Shop Garland
Step 5: The Ornaments
How many ornaments should I use?
You've set up the basics, now comes the fun part: the ornaments! There's no exact amount of ornaments for a Christmas tree. The amount to use can vary depending on the size of the ornaments, the height and width of your tree, and the ornament density that you desire. In the end, it all comes down to your style and preference.
While we can't tell you exactly how many ornaments to hang on your tree, we can provide you with a guideline to help you estimate how many ornaments you should use. For trees under 9 feet, we would recommend using 10-15 standard size ornaments per foot. If your tree is 9 feet or taller, we recommend 12-20 ornaments per foot.
We also recommended that you vary the size of your ornaments, and to spread them out throughout the tree. For example, here is a list of ornaments that were used by professional decorators for a 12' tree:
- 3' round: 48
- 4' round: 48
- 4.75' round: 48
- 6' round: 36
- 4-7' finial: 18
- 5-8' finial: 18
How should I hang my ornaments?
To make a statement with your Christmas tree, start with your precious ornaments. Next, hang the larger ones, spacing them evenly apart. Then, fill in the spaces with any medium and small sizes to balance the overall look of the tree. You can place ornaments and other decorations ’inside’ your tree as well as on the tips of branches to add depth and interest.
If you have pets or small children, try placing shatterproof ornaments near the bottom or in high-traffic areas.
There are a couple of things to note. Make sure to purchase your ornaments based on your tree size. Larger ornaments may take up too much space on smaller trees, while smaller ornaments may not even be visible on larger trees. Additionally, we also recommend that you have extra ornaments on hand in case any of your ornaments are lost or broken.Shop Ornaments
Step 6: The Tree Skirt
Tree skirts are not included with most trees but are a popular accessory. Not only do they hide the base of the tree, but they add some character to your setting. Much like stockings and ornaments, tree skirts come in a wide array of styles, from solid, colored velvet, and much more. Make sure your skirt is wide enough to cover the tree stand but does not extend past the bottom branches of the tree. Consider the size requirements, color scheme, and theme your tree may have.
Once your tree is completely decorated, go ahead and add some presents under your tree. If you haven't started shopping yet, that's okay! Place a few wrapped empty boxes or other large scale decorations such as lanterns, Santa Claus figures, or nutcrackers for a decorative touch.Shop Tree Skirts
Commercial Christmas Tree Decorating Tips
For decorating commercial Christmas trees, you can follow the same formats. However, if all that tree space feels overwhelming, here are a few extra tips to guide you through the decorating process.
First, mentally divide your tree into four sections, picturing your tree as if it were a giant box with four sides. Next, divide your collection of ornaments into 4 even groups. Apply ornaments to each tree section starting from the small ornaments and moving up to the largest size.
A 12' Christmas tree can be heavily decorated with ornaments. A good suggestion is forty (40) ornaments per foot or a total of four-hundred-and-eighty (480) ornaments. For a more uniform look, evenly space your ornaments based on their characteristics: color, shape, style, etc.
As trees get taller, they also get wider and have more space to fill. With larger Christmas trees, you should generally have nine (9) feet of garland per foot in tree height. It’s a good idea to have extra garland to fill up space if needed.
Ribbons are a good way to fill up empty space on a tree. These are often utilized in sprays and other arrangements; there’s no limit to what can be done!
The above tips are simply suggestions to help get you started on a classically-decorated Christmas tree. If you are feeling extra creative, feel free to play around with different techniques and styles to see what looks right to you!
12 of the Best DIY Christmas Tree Garland Ideas
We are reader supported. External links may earn us a commission.
by Em Casalena
Christmas Designs And Ideas
There’s nothing quite as festive as a house filled with beautiful Christmas decorations during the holiday season. One of the most iconic sights during the holidays has to be homes with windows open wide that showcase glowing, fully dressed and decorated Christmas trees. Not only are fully dressed Christmas trees gorgeous and very aesthetically pleasing, but they’re also quite a lot of fun to set up. Especially if you have a family with children.
One common component of the dressed Christmas tree is the garland. Traditionally, garlands for Christmas trees are made from a classic thick mesh ribbon which is simply wrapped around the perimeter of the tree’s branches. However, you definitely don’t have to take the traditional route when it comes to choosing a Christmas tree garland idea.
We found a few of the most interesting, beautiful, unique, and family-friendly garland ideas out there for dressing your tree this upcoming Christmas. Check out what we found and get inspired for your own Christmas tree garland decorations!
Table of Contents
3 Christmas Tree Mesh Garland Ideas
Mesh is probably the most traditional material used to make Christmas tree garlands. These garlands are typically made from burlap, cotton, plastic, or polyester. However, the only real requirement for a garland to be considered “mesh” would be an element of transparency. Mesh isn’t an opaque material. This type of material looks quite lovely on a Christmas tree and balances out the harder, brighter elements of a Christmas tree like ornaments and string lights. Mesh is also very lightweight, so it isn’t difficult to work with when wrapping it around a Christmas tree.
Burlap and Mesh Tulle Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: DIY Divas
Burlap and ribbon look beautiful together. This combination can either look very rustic, very traditional, or very romantic. In this guide, you’ll learn how to use mesh tulle and burlap to make beautiful and unique garlands for your tree. You might need a little bit of sewing machine know-how, however.
Simple Mesh Ribbon Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: Kelley Nan
Sometimes, simple is best. However, not everyone knows the best way to use mesh ribbon as a Christmas tree garland. Luckily, this handy little guide from Kelly Nan breaks down how to use mesh ribbon to decorate a Christmas tree. She breaks down how to fluff your tree, cut and tuck your ribbon, and experiment with different types of ribbons.
Copper Mesh Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: My Dear Irene
Copper is quite an underrated material when it comes to Christmastime decor, This DIY copper mesh Christmas tree garland is extremely easy to make an has a rustic, slightly industrial vibe to it. All you need is a dozen or so Scotch-Brite copper scrubbing pads and an old pair of scissors or metal plyers.
3 Christmas Tree Ribbon Garland Ideas
Ribbon is another classic material to use when decorating a Christmas tree. We use the term “ribbon” pretty loosely here as well. Christmas tree ribbon can come in a wide variety of material components and sizes. It’s a versatile Christmas tree dressing material that can be styled to match virtually any possible aesthetic out there. Whether you’re interested in creating a more modern Christmas tree, a country-style Christmas tree, or an extremely traditional Christmas tree, a good set of ribbons are a must-have for making that tree pop.
Thick Ribbon Christmas GarlandCredit: Remodelaholic
Very thick ribbons may seem difficult to use when it comes to Christmas tree garlands. However, when styled correctly, thicker ribbons are beautiful focal pieces that anyone could add to their own tree. We recommend using 5-inch wide ribbons that are opaque, as they tend to look very eye-catching.
Ruffled Burlap Ribbon Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: Simply Notable
Burlap makes another appearance on our list, this time all on its lonesome. This entry could have easily been put into the Country Christmas Tree Garland Ideas section, as it’s perfect for creating a rustic or vintage feel. You don’t need a sewing machine for this project– just a lot of burlap ribbon, linen string, and patience.
Basic Ribbon Christmas Tree Garland – 8 WaysCredit: Interior Design Info
Are you completely in the dark about how to use ribbon as a Christmas tree garland? Have you been attempting to add ribbon to your tree, but it just doesn’t seem to look right? You’re in luck– this tutorial from Interior Design Info breaks down eight different methods for using any kind of ribbon to dress a tree. Educate yourself!
3 Country Christmas Tree Garland Ideas
Rustic-style country Christmas trees are quite popular. It certainly makes sense why– Country-style Christmas trees are often warm and feel like home. Traditional stylings meet rustic elements for country Christmas trees. Some country Christmas trees even have natural elements like flowers and other flora. If you’re trying to put together a farmhouse-style Christmas tree and you don’t know where to start, consider the bigger picture of how you’d like your tree to look. Do you want it to look vintage with rustic elements, or more traditional country with natural elements? Consider what you want your end result to be before buying ornaments and garlands that appear “country-like.”
Floral Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: Design Lovefest
Interested in a bright and floral look for your tree? Floral Christmas trees are great country-style additions to any rustic home during the holidays. And all it takes to make one is a set of twinkling string lights and a DIY floral garland! This is surprisingly easy to make, and you can incorporate whatever style of flower you please.
French Countryside Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: Tidbits & Twine
If you want to create a rustic, countryside-evoking Christmas tree, you don’t necessarily have to look into Americana stylings or traditional American Christmas tree looks. Rather, you can evoke a different kind of countryside—the French countryside. This Christmas tree look involves lots of pastels and wintery color schemes, along with pearl Christmas tree garlands. These garlands ban be made with simple by-the-yard pearl strings from your local craft or fabric store.
Giant Pine Cone Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: Lovely Indeed
Looking for an ultra-natural garland look for your Christmas tree? Got a huge pine tree in your yard? Get creative with some pine cones! This DIY tutorial breaks down how to use giant pine cones (harvested or store-bought, of course) to build elegant giant pine cone garlands. The end result is very interesting and will make for a very unique tree.
3 Kids Christmas Tree Garland Ideas
One of the most entertaining things about putting together a Christmas tree is when the whole family is involved. Kids love helping, so why not get them involved in the actual garland-making process? You could make a day out of building Christmas tree garlands from the tutorials below, along with do it yourself ornaments and tree toppers. The craftier you get, the more fun it is. And you don’t have to sacrifice aesthetics for some family fun. These DIY Christmas tree garland projects yield very attractive and adorable results that will really make your tree pop.
Fun ABC String Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: A Night Owl
If you have little ones, this is the perfect Christmas tree garland and craft idea to try. Not only is it a great opportunity to do some Christmas crafts with your family, but it can also be an educational moment that focuses on teaching children the alphabet. You can get creative with colors as well—either opt for a primary color scheme that your kids will love, or try a traditional red-green-white scheme to add to the holiday feel. All you need for this craft is a set of felt letters, some string, and a bit of glue.
DIY Button Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: One Thousand Oaks
This DIY button Christmas tree garland craft project is about as easy as it gets. Not only is it a ton of fun to make, but it also yields a garland that has a very adaptable aesthetic. It can be used for country-style rustic trees, minimalist trees, or even traditional trees. Essentially, you can make this garland by applying the same process that you would use for traditional popcorn garlands. Simply gather your buttons, find a type of string that will easily fit through the button holes while maintaining your ideal look, and start threading.
Needle Felted Acorn Christmas Tree GarlandCredit: The Magic Onion
If you have access to a ton of acorns this time of year, you can use them to make needle felted acorn garlands. If you’re a fan of felting, this is an excellent craft to try! However, if you’d like to do this craft with little ones, simply purchase pre-made felted balls from your local craft store. Use some hemp string, a good needle, and a bit of glue to make that adorable little garland.
There’s no limit to the ways you can adorn your Christmas tree. These garland ideas are among our favorite of the year, but we’d love to hear yours, too! We bet at least a few of these unique and gorgeous ideas would incorporate well into your Christmastime decor. Don’t forget to share this post with your Christmas-loving friends and to follow Backyard Boss for more excellent Christmas decorating tips for 2020!
21sharesCategories Christmas, Designs And Ideas
How beautiful it is to hang a garland on a window, wall, Christmas tree: tips and tricks
December is coming, and the New Year is coming. To feel that very festive mood, when worries fade into the background and only the expectation of a miracle remains, you need to properly decorate the apartment. The easiest way: hang a garland on a Christmas tree, window or wall. It would seem that it could be easier? But here, too, there are tricks. Let's talk about them.
New Year holidays
New Year decoration
How to hang a garland at home to create a New Year's mood
The right entourage is the key to a fun holiday and a pleasant long weekend spent with your family, so it's so important to think over New Year's decorations. Our today's material will tell you how to hang garlands beautifully so that they harmoniously fit into the interior.
How to hang a garland
Garlands are one of the most popular Christmas decorations. Their design is incredibly diverse. To make the right choice, let's orient ourselves in the range of stores. So, garlands are of the following types:
- Garland-thread - the simplest type of garlands that is used in most homes, great for decorating Christmas trees, furniture and walls;
- Mesh garland - is a "honeycomb" of wires with light bulbs. They are convenient to decorate walls, windows and ceilings.
- Fringe garland - light bulbs connected in bundles, can be LED. The fringe garland looks great in the design of windows and walls.
- Duralight - a transparent wire with lights inside, thanks to the flexibility of the cord, you can create a huge number of different patterns and inscriptions, as well as beautifully outline the contours of objects, such as mirrors or paintings, with a garland.
You have chosen the decoration you like, and now the question arises: how to use it in the interior? How can you hang a garland so that the New Year's decor is thoughtful, not messy? Read more about this.
How can I fix the garland?
It depends on the surface on which you are going to hang the garland.
- Adhesive tape is suitable for smooth surfaces, for example, for plastic window slopes. At the same time, it can leave a sticky mark on the glass itself, which will have to be washed off. You should not hang a garland on a wall with wallpaper using adhesive tape, because their top layer will peel off along with it. It is better to use double-sided foam tape.
- Thumbtacks or pins suitable for wallpaper or fabric surface. Holes from them will be invisible.
- Vacuum suction hooks are handy for glass as they won't leave marks. It is necessary to choose small hooks so that they do not catch the eye.
- Wire Clip Hooks are the perfect solution for securing because they will hold tight, be invisible and leave no marks.
In general, before hanging a garland, decide what exactly you are going to decorate and take the necessary fasteners for the surface. We will tell you more about them later.
How to hang a garland on a window beautifully
To carefully fix a garland on a window, you will need strong tape, hooks with suction cups, or special clips that are sold in hardware stores.
The easiest way is to glue a simple thread garland around the perimeter of the window. However, if such a decor seems not impressive enough to you, we suggest making a curtain from a mesh garland. For greater mystery, it can be covered with transparent tulle.
How to hang a garland on the window to stand out from the neighbors? The original solution is to place a duralight garland directly on the glass, creating some kind of inscription or drawing.
How beautiful it is to hang a garland on the wall
Ordinary adhesive tape is not suitable for attaching a garland to a wall. It will damage the wallpaper and leave sticky marks on the painted wall. Better buy double-sided foam tape. You can hang a garland on the wallpaper using stationery pins. Special clips for attaching garlands are also great.
A linear garland can be used to create a unique decoration on the wall. Traditional New Year motifs are popular: Christmas trees, deer, snowmen. Here are some ideas on how to beautifully hang a garland on the wall.
How to hang a Christmas tree garland on the wall
This pattern is not difficult, but it looks cute and very New Year's. Place the mounts on the wall in a zigzag pattern and hang a garland, and then decorate the makeshift Christmas tree with toys.
How to hang a garland on the wall in the form of an inscription
A duralight garland is best suited for this purpose. Put on the wall any inscriptions related to the holiday or motivating you and your family. We present a few ideas in the photo. Here you have to work a little and “play with fonts”, but it’s better to come up with and sketch the inscription in advance.
How to hang a garland on the wall in other ways
For those who are not looking for easy ways, we offer to come up with real pictures from garlands. Use additional decor: paper snowflakes, photographs, confetti, sparkles. Photo cards can be easily attached to the garland by placing it horizontally. So you will decorate the room and refresh warm memories in your memory. Of course, it is more convenient to look at the pictures if the garland is hanging on the wall.
You can use some decorative clothespins or even the most ordinary ones to attach photos. The latter can be painted and pasted over with beautiful paper. Or hang photos on paper clips by connecting two pieces for convenience. This decor looks very nice and cozy.
How to hang a garland in a room
To decorate a room with a garland, attach it around the perimeter of a doorway or along the ceiling. A garland-curtain will also look great on the door - you will get a real portal to the New Year's fairy tale! We offer a few more original options on how to hang a garland beautifully in a room.
How to hang a garland in a room on a mirror
A luminous garland looks fantastic on the mirror frame! The lights will be reflected in the glass, creating real magic. Try wrapping a simple LED garland with tinsel, and then the effect of the decoration will become even more impressive.
How to hang a garland in a room on a table
The garland looks especially impressive under a glass top. In combination with beautiful dishes and wine glasses, you will get an original New Year's decor for a kitchen or dining room. But even this can not be stopped. Place a Christmas tree wreath on the table and wrap it with a garland.
How to hang a garland in a room on a bed
The garland can be stretched along the headboard. Then you will literally fall asleep and wake up with a feeling of a New Year's miracle! If you have a bed with legs, wrap a garland around them too.
How to hang a garland-curtain on a window
A garland in the form of a canvas deserves special attention, which is simply created to decorate windows. If your garland-curtain is light in weight, you can secure it with double-sided tape. For heavier jewelry, a glue gun is suitable. It will help to hang the product both on the frame and on the glass. Tulle hooks will also be a great help.
Before you hang an electric garland-curtain on the window, consider whether the length of the wire reaches the outlet or you need to use an extension cord. In general, a garland on batteries will allow you not to think about it.
How to hang a garland on a Christmas tree
The garland will perfectly complement the Christmas tree decoration. To prevent the decoration from slipping, use special clothespins. Fix them on the branches where you want to hang the garland.
The garland does not have to match the toys. You can also choose a contrasting decoration: red to blue, blue to gold, yellow to purple. And of course, garlands with multi-colored light bulbs are always relevant - there is never too much color in the New Year!
If your Christmas tree is richly decorated with toys, hang the garland as close to the trunk as possible so as not to create a clutter effect.
Thinking about how to hang a garland on a Christmas tree, most imagine the serpentine way. However, this can also be done crosswise and even stretching the garland from top to bottom.
Buy some garlands for lavish decor. Sometimes the Christmas tree looks poor if there are too few garlands. Do you want your Christmas tree to be the most beautiful and original?
How to hang a net garland
Net garland is suitable for decorating windows and doors. It creates a magical glow and transforms any interior.
The best option would be a garland-mesh parallel connection. This means that when one light burns out, the rest will continue to shine.
The easiest way to hang a mesh garland is on a curtain rod, but it can also be attached to a window frame and above a doorway. In this case, use a glue gun, since such a garland is quite heavy and the adhesive tape simply will not hold it.
How to hang a garland on a Christmas tree beautifully: indoors and outdoors, step-by-step instructions, diagrams and videos
Decorating a Christmas tree is an important moment that not only children, but also adults are waiting for. Packages with toys and tinsel are taken out, beautiful balls are hung, perhaps some decorations are even made by hand. But the Christmas tree must sparkle and shine, and this requires LED lights. How best to hang a garland on a Christmas tree is described in this article.
Decorating the Christmas tree correctly: first garland or toys?
It is much more convenient to decorate the Christmas tree in the following order:
- First of all, lights are placed on the Christmas tree. Beforehand, it is recommended to lay out the garland on the floor and check the operation of the light bulbs, then distribute it on the tree.
- Only after that you can hang toys on the branches: balls, bells, houses, etc. Since the bulbs are already on the tree, you can assemble a composition that matches the color. For example, hang a golden bow near the red light. When all the decorations are on the tree, you need to make sure once again that they are evenly distributed and securely fastened to the branches.
- At the end of decoration, artificial snow can be spread on the ends of the paws, and the entire Christmas tree can be decorated with rain, beads and tinsel.
See also: DIY Christmas decorations
Reasons why it is better to hang an electric garland on the Christmas tree in the first place:
- Without additional decorations, the wire is easy to lead to the outlet.
- You can turn on the lights, check their work, see how beautifully they are distributed among the branches. In which case, the garland is easy to remove and reposition.
- Lights are easier to match with Christmas decorations so that they are in the right color scheme.
Do not forget about the design concept, which many are guided by in the process of preparing for the New Year holidays. If you want to achieve the effect of an inner glow on the tree, place the lights closer to the trunk, and then hang the rest of the decorations. The same applies to New Year's lighting with large bulbs - they need to be distributed on the Christmas tree in the first place. Designers prefer to hang small flashing LEDs on a Christmas tree already decorated with toys. A slight shimmer will give the Christmas tree a magical aura, and the lights will attract attention.
Hanging the lights on the Christmas tree before or after the toys - everyone decides for himself. The main thing is that the preparation for the New Year brings joy.
See also: Making garlands for the Christmas tree with your own hands
How to choose a garland?
Among the abundance of shimmering garlands presented in stores, it is difficult to make a choice. First, let's look at the main types of LED decorations:
- Filamentous. Most often, it is with such lighting equipment that the Christmas tree and the room are decorated. They can be in the form of one long cord on which LED bulbs are located. Manufacturers also produce garlands in the form of a grid or fringe - it is convenient to hang them on windows and walls.
- Street. To decorate the Christmas tree on the street, they use special transparent flexible garlands with LED bulbs, which are reliably protected from moisture.
- LED strips. They are used not only as a New Year's decoration, but also for additional lighting in the room.
Manufacturers of New Year's lighting equipment recommend purchasing an LED decoration with 500 bulbs for a two-meter Christmas tree (their number is indicated on the package). If the tree is 30-50 cm taller, it is better to choose a garland with an additional 50-100 bulbs.
Classic Christmas decorations can glow with a yellowish dim light, and light bulbs often fail. Manufacturers have come up with and introduced many innovations so that the garlands work for a long time and decorate the Christmas tree with iridescent, multi-colored lights.
But do not forget that the garland can be dangerous to health and even life:
- To avoid fire due to excessive heating of the bulbs, you should purchase a decoration with a power of no more than 65 watts.
- Do not let children turn lights on and off by themselves.
- Do not put strings with lights in glass bottles, despite the fact that such arrangements look very nice. Such decor can provoke an electric shock.
What to look for when buying LED garlands:
- The plug must be durable, made of quality material, not change its original shape.
- You can calculate the desired length of the decoration as follows: measure the height of the Christmas tree and buy an ornament three times longer in length.
- The wire that will be connected to the outlet must be at least 1.5 m for a home Christmas tree, for street decor - 10 m or more.
- Light bulbs must be tightly fixed, not wobble, much less fall out of the sockets.
- The power supply must only be opened with a screwdriver or other special tools. It is better to look at the soldering of wires before buying a product.
- For a street Christmas tree, purchase special lighting equipment with additional protection against moisture. On the packaging, the manufacturer must indicate that the jewelry is intended for external use.
- Samples of good quality must be free from foreign, unpleasant odors.
- The purchased model must be certified, otherwise it is forbidden to use it to decorate the Christmas tree and the room.
The operation of the garland should be checked in the store, and at home it is undesirable to immediately plug it into the outlet. Give time for the bulbs to warm up to room temperature, only then proceed to the decor of the Christmas tree.
How to decorate a Christmas tree with a garland?
There are several secrets on how to hang the garland so that the lights look beautiful:
- The decoration is placed on the Christmas tree only after the tree is set upright. If the Christmas tree will stand in the corner, you need to think in advance which side of it should look more elegant.
- Before hanging a luminous decor, lay it out on the floor, check the operation of all the bulbs, connect it to the outlet to make sure that all the lights are working.
- It is more convenient to start hanging the decoration from above, evenly distributing the lights in a zigzag pattern over the branches. If the tree will be in the center of the room, start at the top and work your way around.
- If you place lights near the trunk of a tree, it will look magical and mysterious, but it is better not to use flickering light bulbs for this.
- A thin garland with monochrome lights can be wrapped around each branch, starting from the lower legs.
Is it possible to hang a garland on an artificial Christmas tree and how to do it correctly:
- Artificial tree needs additional, warmer lighting. Instead of blue or silver light bulbs, decorate the artificial Christmas tree with gold, red, purple lights.
- Any artificial Christmas tree can be decorated with a garland, but provided that the device is fully functional, there are no bare wires in it, and all bulbs are tightly held in cartridges.
- If there is not enough cord to decorate the entire height of the Christmas tree, you do not need to remove the decorations and start over. Buy another copy and complete the decor to the end.
If the Christmas tree is in the house
Interior designers offer their own way to decorate the Christmas tree with a garland:
- Enter the room and notice where your eyes first turned. It is in this place that it is better to put a shiny and sparkling Christmas tree. In addition to the tree, you can decorate windows, stair railings, fireplaces, bookshelves, etc. with lights.
- Come up with a style of New Year's decor, and only then choose decorations for it. Light bulbs are different: plain, multi-colored, with a warm yellowish tint, curly. For a classic style, it is better to choose traditional colored lights, and for a Scandinavian or eco-style, plain or white ones are suitable.
- When choosing a decoration, consider not only the length, but also the width of the Christmas tree: the more fluffy it is, the longer the garland will be needed.
See also: Creating a Christmas tree from a garland on a wall or window with your own hands
The sequence of further actions:
- We check the health of the decoration before hanging it on the branches.
- Preparing a few extensions in case the cord is not enough to decorate the entire Christmas tree. Most garlands are made in such a way that it is possible to attach them to each other. But according to fire safety rules, it is impossible to insert a Christmas decoration with more than 500 lights into one wire.
- So that the decor does not get confused, it is more convenient to decorate the Christmas tree together. You can wind the cord into a ball, starting from the part opposite to the plug. So you will hold the decoration in one hand, and lay out the light bulbs on the branches with the other.
- Light up the lights to see what colors will be on the tree. Start hanging decor by choosing a pattern: zigzag, spiral, top-down, diagonal, vertical lines, etc.
How to hang a garland on a street tree?
Tips and tricks on how to decorate a street tree on a porch or garden:
- It is better to use warm colors of lights: yellows, reds, purples.
- The plug from the garland must reach the socket. If you cannot connect the decoration to electricity, choose garlands that run on batteries.
- Buy LEDs that are waterproof. On the packaging, the manufacturer must indicate that the garland is allowed to be used outdoors.
- You can purchase ready-made sets of New Year's lighting equipment, for example, 10 luminous threads 10 m long each. With this composition, you can easily decorate a street Christmas tree 5-10 m high.
To create a festive, magical mood in a country house or in the country, they often use special illumination from luminous bulbs. Not only a decorated street Christmas tree looks beautiful, but also a luminous roof, balcony railings, columns, windows from the outside, trees and shrubs.
There are several options for how to hang the decoration on Christmas tree branches:
- Start from the top, spreading the bulbs evenly over the lower legs in a spiral with a little sagging.
- To make it easier to hang toys later, the lights can be attached closer to the trunk.
- If the Christmas tree is in the center of the room, it is better to distribute the luminous decoration in a circle.
- On the tree, which will be located in the corner of the room, the garland is hung on the branches in a zigzag pattern.
- It is permissible to start decorating the Christmas tree from the lower branches, in tiers, as if obliquely, or from above with a serpentine.